Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safer weapon for kid?

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    I wonder why the Dad doesn't choose to hunt with his kid. I have one left that does not hunt alone and I cherish EVERY stinkin minute I am in a stand with that boy.
    Yep... My wife and I had that conversation the other day. My oldest daughter is mature enough to sit by herself if she wanted to, but she hasn't asked and I haven't suggested it. I love sitting in the stand with my girls. The grow up too fast as it is.

There’s way to much difference in different kids maturity level to put a hard defined age on this. I have a son that killed his first deer at six. I have another son that was shooting ducks with his own shotgun at 9. I also have a son that is currently 8 and I wouldn’t put a gun in his hands even with me standing over him with full control of the firearm. It all depends on their personality and maturity level. Different children are different.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

And y'all wonder why kids these days are pussies. Pull em off the tit first, then do like toofer said and let him parent his child the way he wants to. I was walking around in the woods when I was 10 by myself with a .410 terrorizing squirrels and rabbits and sneaking up on every water hole I came to trying to jump shoot wood ducks. If the man thinks his kid is responsible enough to hunt alone with a crossbow when hes almost 12 it's none of your damn business
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

2th summed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Safer for the kid or other people around said kid?

IMO a rifle would be safer for the kid. Crossbow might be safer for others around.

All goes back to how mature the kid is. I was given a shotgun and rifle by 10 years old.
    Are you implying that you are mature?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    Aint no damn way.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Sure am glad some of y’all werent my parents. Teach the kids gun safety and let them go.

I am OK with not seeing the world like everyone else...and I certainly appreciate spending time with kids in the deer stand...but I continue to get satisfaction as they "grow up" without me!

I like my kid sitting by himself and relaying the story to me afterwards. I like hearing about his trigger restraint, deer interactions, and all the other wild critters that he notices. That gives me great joy, too.

Its ok for your kids to grow up out of your sight....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

This was not about kids sitting by themselves. I was just curious about the father's decision to go with a crossbow vs rifle. I could care less if kids sit alone at whatever age if the parent feels it's the right time for them.

My son has killed 4 sitting by himself. Each time I instructed him not to get down, I will come get you. Don't unload the gun just sit here until I climb up and unload the gun. He gets one bullet. I load the gun once he's sitting in stand. He has a phone so we can text and my buddies near by can text him. He's not afraid of the dark either.

It's so fun to pick him up and hear him tell his hunt to me.

But he has always been pretty advanced for his age. I get nervous handing my 6 year old a fishing rod. They are very different.
    Last edited by M2Field; 11-13-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Aint no damn way.....

Probably more mature back then.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Safer for the kid or other people around said kid?

IMO a rifle would be safer for the kid. Crossbow might be safer for others around.

All goes back to how mature the kid is. I was given a shotgun and rifle by 10 years old.
    Egggzactly

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    And y'all wonder why kids these days are pussies. Pull em off the tit first, then do like toofer said and let him parent his child the way he wants to. I was walking around in the woods when I was 10 by myself with a .410 terrorizing squirrels and rabbits and sneaking up on every water hole I came to trying to jump shoot wood ducks. If the man thinks his kid is responsible enough to hunt alone with a crossbow when hes almost 12 it's none of your damn business
    and another egggzactly. Looking back, I have to say, "what were my parents thinking?", I had a single barrel Stevens .410 and I would come home from elementary or middle school and load
    that bitch and head to the woods behind the house, then Santa brought me a Winchester 30/30 Model 94 and I killed every deer I saw sitting on a pine limb on a 2x4 nailed up there with only iron sights
    and there wasn't anyone texting me every 3 mins checking on me
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.

I don’t think you can consider either weapon more safe. However, my 9yr old daughter loves shooting the crossbow. It is quiet and has no recoil. She isn’t fond of the recoil and noise of a gun. Saying that one is safer than another is probably just trying to justify what his kid uses to hunt.

Where are they hunting? Just need to know so I’m not around either of them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013