Thread: Vortex Venom Owners... A question for you

Default Vortex Venom Owners... A question for you

I picked up a new Venom last night and was just messing with it. My plan is to put it on my 'new' Buckmark, so the smaller size than I expected will actually be a plus.

However, I've noted two things, even though I've read the instructions...

1. The red dot does not appear to dim or brighten using the UP/DOWN buttons (making sure it's in the manual mode, not auto);

2. The dot is actually a nice center dot, with small, blurry, elliptical red reflections at the 1:00 and 7:00 positions. This happens no matter where I look through my glasses, without glasses, close up or farther away.

Do any of you notice the same two issues, or either one of the above?

I'm finding them both irritating, and particularly #2, such that I'm planning on returning the optic. The question in my mind is whether I'll bother exchanging it or just consider the FF III, even though I read more negative reviews on the FF III than the Venom.

Anyone?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-09-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Do you have issues with any other red dots being fuzzy looking? Or is it just the Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Do you have issues with any other red dots being fuzzy looking? Or is it just the Vortex?
    I have two Ultra-Dot red dot optics and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6x24 scope with the illuminated ring reticle, and all are sharp with no reflections or distortions, unless I have them on too high a setting and then they might have some flare, but it's uniform.

This is the first holographic red dot I've ever used so I don't know if that has anything tondo with it or if the unit is bad. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Fwiw, I wear progressive lenses so I can tilt my head various directions to see if something like this has anything to do with focal length or eye correction. I played with that with very little impact.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Do you have an astigmatism? That can cause a red dot to be blurry even if you wear corrective lenses.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I have two Ultra-Dot red dot optics and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6x24 scope with the illuminated ring reticle, and all are sharp with no reflections or distortions, unless I have them on too high a setting and then they might have some flare, but it's uniform.

This is the first holographic red dot I've ever used so I don't know if that has anything tondo with it or if the unit is bad. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Fwiw, I wear progressive lenses so I can tilt my head various directions to see if something like this has anything to do with focal length or eye correction. I played with that with very little impact.
    I gotcha, just wasn't sure if what you were describing was due to an astigmatism. Some red dots are clearer than others if you have a bad astigmatism such as myself. For instance an Aimpoint is fuzzy for me but not terrible with a 2 moa dot but a larger dot on an Eotech is extremely blurry and smeared looking. Hope you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Do you have an astigmatism? That can cause a red dot to be blurry even if you wear corrective lenses.
    I do have some astigmatism, but as noted above do not have a problem with my other red dots. However, since they are the tube optics I'm wondering if it's the holo like CW is referencing with his problem with the Eotech vs the Aimpoint.
    ~ George Washington

I've got one on a Ruger MK 3. No issues with the brightness adjustment. I do have an astigmatism, so, all dots are a little fuzzy, except the Leupold Prismatic which has adjustable ocular like a magnified optic. I turn them down as low as I can to minimize it.
    I've been very pleased with the Venom, I'm going to put one on a Glock 17.

I just bought a Viper which is almost the same except for 6 MOA, I like it a lot.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I do have some astigmatism, but as noted above do not have a problem with my other red dots. However, since they are the tube optics I'm wondering if it's the holo like CW is referencing with his problem with the Eotech vs the Aimpoint.
    CORRECTION - I just pulled out my 870, which I have set up with an Ultra-Dot optic. I've not had any of this "flaring" before as long as I keep the brightness down, but I just saw nearly the same 1:00 & 7:00 flaring that I see on the Venom. I then looked through it from the right side, using my left eye, and the flaring changes to 11:00 & 5:00. So, I've been thinking I needed to get a new eyeglass prescription and this seems to confirm it.

I'd guess my astigmatism has changed enough to warrant new lenses. Like my wife says, "Getting old ain't for wimps".

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I've got one on a Ruger MK 3. No issues with the brightness adjustment. I do have an astigmatism, so, all dots are a little fuzzy, except the Leupold Prismatic which has adjustable ocular like a magnified optic. I turn them down as low as I can to minimize it.
    I've been very pleased with the Venom, I'm going to put one on a Glock 17.
    Didn't walt4dun recently say his experimenting showed that only the RMR(?) held up to 9mm and heavier? Let us know how the Venom holds up on the G17.

Thanks for everyone's comments.
    ~ George Washington

A friend I shoot with is using one on an FN 9mm with no issues. I would like a Delta Point , but the Venoms price point and performance has changed my mind.
    Last edited by FLS; 03-10-2017 at 07:11 AM.

A friend I shoot with is using one on an FN 9mm with no issues. I would like a Delta Point , but the Venoms price point and performance has changed my mind.
    That's great to hear. How are you going to mount it?
    ~ George Washington

https://outerimpact.com/shop/red-dot...-glock-pistol/

If I like the Venomon the Glock and it holds up I will send slide off to be machined for sight.

https://outerimpact.com/shop/red-dot...-glock-pistol/

If I like the Venomon the Glock and it holds up I will send slide off to be machined for sight.
    Cool contraption. Someone was thinking.
    ~ George Washington

I think it is more apparent/interfering when it's just a single dot holo.
    Last edited by Carolina Counsel; 03-10-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    Carolina Counsel