Thread: 45-70

Default 45-70

Who has one? Every year I treat myself to a firearm for my birthday and I have one coming up. I have always wanted a Winchester pre 1964 model 1894 in 30-30 but I have always been open to suggestions.

I want a lever action mainly because they are badass, and two, to kill hogs when I be stalking and slipping around in the swamp.

What the hell is the deal with a 45-70? I don't know much about them, and the first hand knowledge on SCDucks is the best place to learn...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Marlin 1895 cowboy. It has a 26" octagon barrel and holds 9 45-70 rounds. It's a fun hog and deer slayer or well anything in North America really. It's very accurate for a lever gun.

Most factory ammo is loaded pretty weak, but is still more than adequate for any medium sized game. It can be loaded to "magnum " levels in modern firearms. I've got a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70. I've killed several deer and hogs with it. Big slow bullets don't do excessive damage just plow thru whatever they hit.
    Last edited by FLS; 03-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.

They are about the best you can get when hunting in heavy cover. That and the 444 really plow through the undergrowth without near the deflection of a 223 or 30-30. Of course you are going to get off more shots with a 223 but only one may be needed for a 45-70. Marlin has another one or two loads that are heavy like the 45-70 but that is the load to which everyone compares.

Ruger #1s in 45-70 are great to upload the charge in if you do reload. The factory rounds are kept to a minimum maximum in case someone puts it in an old gun set up for original 45-70 loads. Then there are manufacturers that do make some hotter loads but they are no in Wally World.

If you buy new, I'd watch out and be cautious of the Remington made Marlins. There have been a lot of folks complaining about those. I think Henry makes a 45-70. But just as the cartridge itself, people compare other guns to the Marlin originals.
    Last edited by rp; 03-06-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

My buddy has a handy rifle in 45-70 and he's killed a bunch of deer with it. He shoots those hornady leverevolution bullets through his.

Big heavy bullets moving at modest velocity = knocking the shit out of whatever they hit.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=35

The 405 grain flat point is what we keep in our 45-70 at the farm. Buffalo Bore ammo is nasty. My business partner has absolutely crushed quite a few big Boar Black Bear with them. This ammo makes you appreciate a recoil pad.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Lever gun in 358 Winchester is on my list. I would opt for an older JM stamped 444 Marlin

I have a marlin stainless guide gun and ruger no 1 in 45/70. Hope to add a sharps to the herd soon. Ive had several h&r single shots and they shot fine. My dad has a h&r buffalo classic and it shoots great. My number 1 is one of the finest rifles I own. It shoot way better than i can and is easy on the eyes. It is short, light and can handle loads way past what your shoulder can. Load up some 405gr hard cast at about 1200-1300fps. Kill anything that walks and wont break your shoulder or blow up your gun. Welcome to try one of mine before u buy if you like.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Reread that you want a levergun. Look at the marlins. Ive heard the newer made ones from remington have improved their quality over when remington first took over. If i had to buy a new one it would be between the SBL or GBL depending whether i wanted stainless or not
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I have a BLR in .358. It is a nice rifle and is pretty darn accurate. The old 200 grain Winchester silvertips are pretty anemic.. Buffalo Bore and others load some hot stuff that turns the .358 into a powerhouse Barnes TTSX loads are out there.. I have some 225 grain Nosler Partitions loaded that are nasty ..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

i have a marlin guide gun in .450 marlin to my understanding basically a factory loaded hot 45-70. It pushes a 325 grain bullet 2225 feet per second. I've only killed a handful of deer with it, the result is what is to be expected, it hits them hard but also hits you pretty good as well. Its basically become the GAG gun when people come over to shoot. If you end up getting one in .450 or 45-70 do yourself a favor and don't put a scope on the thing. That being said if I were to get another lever to hunt with it would be a BLR all day long in a modern cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Lever gun in 358 Winchester is on my list. I would opt for an older JM stamped 444 Marlin
    For what its worth, I had a used 45-70 for sale here. Set up for iron sights and a peep. Finish on one side of barrel was worn. Tried to sell it for 450 here but it wouldnt sell.

Firgured Id sell my 444 for 600 with scope and a load of rounds and keep the 45-70. 444 wouldnt sell here so I put it on Armslist. Sold to a fella in S Dakota for 900 without scope. Kept the 45-70. The 444 was just too damn nice a gun for rough treatment. Very fine wood.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

If you decide to go with Marlin then I would look around and try to find a JM stamped gun. I have been told the new ones can be slicked up and just as good but I can't speak first hand on it. I have one of the newer Remlins new in the box that I will be tinkering with here shortly and can report back.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have watched a few of Hickok45's videos on Youtube and they have me all excited.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Been doing some research, and ultimately it appears as if I need to find an older JM stamped Marlin.

What is the going rate for one in shootable condition? I should have bought RP's back when he had it listed for sale.

Also, reading about the Henry with the tube mag. 4 rounds does not seem adequate, but then again if you are a decent shot one will probably take it to the house.
    Last edited by smitch320; 03-07-2017 at 10:47 PM.

You will pay close to new prices for a jm one. Most ive seen have been 600 min.

Had a JM stamped 1895 Cowboy that I sold to pay rent during my first divorce, still kicking myself as I should have just drained myself and sold all my blood. Another Cowboy is on the wish list.
    They come up for sale on Gun Broker fairly frequently and prices for guns in rough shape are quite high in my opinion. Most in excelllent condition hover around 12 to $1500. Saw one safe queen for 2k.