Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal Roofing

You want Galvalume not Galvanized. Colors are warrantied based on quality of paints and up the price by around 25% for a 30 year synthetic poly paint.. Kynar is quite a bit more but the best of the coatings for metal.

Galvalume will outlast them all however.

My price on 5v galvalume 26 guage is about $72/square for panels not counting your trim.. so the material isn't much more than shingles its the labor.. I can direct ship it as well if you do go that route.
    Genesis 9;2

Very interested in this thread, some one of you with metal roof experience, tell me about standing seem vs other installations methods?

Yeah I'm with pinewood and welcome anymore info. I was thinking an external fastner/snap lock type system. Mainly because that was what a friend of mine went with and he researched the snot out of it. But his house is more antebellum than mine.

I like the look and sound of the galvalume. How is the 5v fastened? Is that using screws and you just plan on replacing the screws over time? And is that over existing shingles or needs to be smooth flat surface?

Quote Originally Posted by PINEWOOD DUCK View Post
    Very interested in this thread, some one of you with metal roof experience, tell me about standing seem vs other installations methods?
    Standing seem and exposed fastener.

Standing seem hides the fastener and the holes caused by them. Some have a flange system and some have a clip system. Bottom line the fasteners are hidden and covered

Exposed fastener- metal roofing screws through the ribs and they have a rubber grommet that seals around the head. The grommets shrink and expand with the weather and eventually they will leak.

Standing seem is better but is more expensive/labor intensive
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-21-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I do metal roofs all the time- post a pic and I will tell you based on the roof shape metal or shingles- some just don't look right with metal on them

I'd go shingles but hell I am a shingle man. That being said a coal black metal roof would look good on there
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

that roof would be well suited for metal roofing, galvalume would probably be a good choice, very durable and doesn't fade like painted colors will. But that roof will look good with most colors, put that pic in a computer program and play with the roof color.
    I never suggest putting the metal over the shingles- you should never do a roof over unless you just absolutely can't afford a new roof any other way.
    Strip it to the plywood, inspect, repair, re flash, re cover, and re roof.

You should be able to get that roof done at a discount, easy access, straight gables, all sections will be the same panel length.
    They come pre cut to length, all they will have to do is lay it out and screw it down.

Thanks for the feed back bad habit.

Visor guy you know anyone that's good with photoshop? Just kidding.

Appreciate the help from everyone including the PM's and contacts I've gotten as well

by the way- we drive the same truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    by the way- we drive the same truck
    I know where a color matched camper shell is if you have the same color
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 10-21-2016 at 06:18 PM.

same color- I'm not a camper shell guy

Yeah like I said. I know where one is.

I would actually use it when traveling if I didn't have to remove my tool box.

Yes sir
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Carolina Metal Systems in W. Columbia makes the panels, gutters, downspouts, etc., can do colors. They mostly supply contractors but make it all. Know the owner well, let me know if you want a call or more info.

With metal MFGs you get what you pay for , meaning that they use different alloys.

Galvalume reflects a lot a heat away from your roof where as a darker color absorbs and transfers the heat to your decking.

All metal should be put down only over a high temp ice and water barrier.

5v when installed correctly with proper fasteners will last only slightly less in years than a standing seam /H Loc roof.

I never sell standard fasteners with 5v but instead always provide an umbrella screw which keeps the UV rays from breaking down your rubber grommet..

Standing seam roofs with clip systems are far more labor intensive than screw flange standing seam.. I prefer the latter on a 26 ga system..
    Genesis 9;2