Thread: Arkie Outlook

I just got a call from a farmer/guide that I have hunted with in the past near St. Charles AR. He said he is starting to see alot of birds in the White River bottoms and the timber is flooded. Sounds good for anybody hunting the week before Christmas. I hated to tell him that I couldn't come until after Christmas!!! He said he was booked solid then but almost nobody was hunting the Refuge this week.
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

Who do you hunt with in St Charles, we hunt with the Jones Brothers.

I guess you have eaten at St Charles Community Store also!!!

Yes I've eaten at the hub of the community! I hunted with Phil Horton he has a couple of rice fields that border the White River Refuge and is one of the few that have a lic. to guide on the Refuge. Where do you stay when you go?
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

Beaver Lake Lodges, a lady from the store, Linda, owns them.

They are very nice and she has all several sizes.

Yeah, we looked inside them last time we were there. I like the the look and the fact that they have a place to kennel your dog.

We went and spent a week in there one year before the season on 4 wheelers during low water. White River is one of my favorite places on Earth and we got to know it up close and personal. When the ducks are there it is better than Bayou Meto. We ended up being buds with several guides out there and usually are invited to hunt with them instead of hunting against them. It works well for everyone and when new birds are coming through you can shoot your part of 8-10 limits of ducks a day out of the same hole day after day... Sadly they ain't been coming the last few years....

I think back often to that Oxbow hunt in White River....because my left ear still rings from time to time, reminding me of our pal M.W. who nearly deafened me. I still owe his ass...

Just got back today from out there. And let me say the birds are NOT there even with the cold weather. Yes some have bird and are killing but AR as a whole is sucking ass for birds right now.The sancutuary 1 mile north of my place most of the time holds close to 50,000, Right now it has 10,000, And they ain't coming out!But I did kill a limit of mallats and a double banded drake in the slet yesterday!
    80-20 Genaration