Thread: What caliber

Default What caliber

I will be ordering my new barrel in the next couple weeks.

Decided on a brux barrel but not a caliber.

6.5x47L, 6.5 creed, 260 AI, or 6.5 SAUM.

6.5 saum is claiming 3150fps and 3000+ barrel life.

Hornady is going to start producing brass this year, but it's still hornady brass.

What would yall chose and why?

If, and that's a big If, brass is actually available for the 6.5 saum this year, that would be bad ass. Apparently George Gardner claims it will be out this summer. I will believe it when I see it.

Between the other choices, I would go with the Lapua. But I've just always wanted one. I think its a great case design, the brass with the small primers is freaking indestructible and will last damn near forever. Most people are seeing 15-25 reloads on a case with minimal trimming.

Ballistics and barrel life between the lapua, .260, and the creed will be a wash. So really it all just boils down to personal preference.

One thing to note, if you go with the lapua, you will probably want to get your firing pin turned down and bushed. Seems many people run into pressure issues with the small primers of the lapua and a standard size firing pin. Not a big deal though, Gre-Tan will do them for $85.

Now, if someone doesn't reload, I would recommend the creed all day long. But I'm assuming you've got that under control.

Quote Originally Posted by winyah View Post
    If, and that's a big If, brass is actually available for the 6.5 saum this year, that would be bad ass. Apparently George Gardner claims it will be out this summer. I will believe it when I see it.

Between the other choices, I would go with the Lapua. But I've just always wanted one. I think its a great case design, the brass with the small primers is freaking indestructible and will last damn near forever. Most people are seeing 15-25 reloads on a case with minimal trimming.

Ballistics and barrel life between the lapua, .260, and the creed will be a wash. So really it all just boils down to personal preference.

One thing to note, if you go with the lapua, you will probably want to get your firing pin turned down and bushed. Seems many people run into pressure issues with the small primers of the lapua and a standard size firing pin. Not a big deal though, Gre-Tan will do them for $85.

Now, if someone doesn't reload, I would recommend the creed all day long. But I'm assuming you've got that under control.
    Talking to George on facebook a little bit, he is saying august from hornady.

He also.mentioned that he is trying to get lapua on board. If that is the case then I'll be going the 6.5 saum route. He also said that brass will be ordered through GAP. They will be the sole carriers of it right now. dies will be pretty pricey I'm assuming. I Know Redding Is Making comp dies, but I don't see anyone else making dies right now.

6.5 saum will probably be out the question until they work out the brass availability issues.

I am very interested in the 260 AI I just have to get past the barrel life.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Talking to George on facebook a little bit, he is saying august from hornady.

He also.mentioned that he is trying to get lapua on board. If that is the case then I'll be going the 6.5 saum route. He also said that brass will be ordered through GAP. They will be the sole carriers of it right now. dies will be pretty pricey I'm assuming. I Know Redding Is Making comp dies, but I don't see anyone else making dies right now.

6.5 saum will probably be out the question until they work out the brass availability issues.

I am very interested in the 260 AI I just have to get past the barrel life.
    I'm with you on that. Not a big fan of brass prep myself, necking down .300 or 7 saum and turning all the necks would be a big pain in the ass.

Barrel life, shit they make new barrels everyday. Go for it. Might as well build what you want instead of second guessing yourself down the road. Ackley brass prep is easy, load and shoot.
    Last edited by winyah; 03-27-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winyah View Post
    I'm with you on that. Not a big fan of brass prep myself, necking down .300 or 7 saum and turning all the necks would be a big pain in the ass.

Barrel life, shit they make new barrels everyday. Go for it. Might as well build what you want instead of second guessing yourself down the road. Ackley brass prep is easy, load and shoot.
    That's what I keep telling myself.

Soon as the brass is worked out, I will have a 6.5 SAUM.

6.5 Creedmore. Factory ammo is accurate as hell, barrel life is good, and it's a soft shooter.

Hornady Factory 140 AMax
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reloads shoot lights out too.
    140 Hybrid over h4350
    Attached Images Attached Images

6.5cm is where it's at
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    6.5 Creedmore. Factory ammo is accurate as hell, barrel life is good, and it's a soft shooter.

Hornady Factory 140 AMax
    What speeds are you getting?

I've heard nothing but bad things about the 6.5 creed hornady brass. 1-2 firings and it was trashed.

2750. No need to firewall a 6.5. If you're determined to shoot a magnum, go with a 7 WSM. Decent barrel life, factory brass, and the heavy 7's have some sick BC. It will do anything the 6.5 will and then some. No need to reinvent the wheel. Unless you're shooting a mile or more no need for a magnum. Great part about the soft shooters is you can shoot all day without fatigue, spot your impacts thru the scope, and make adjustments if needed.

How many firings are you getting per case?

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

3150 FPS........with which bullet? I am also curious why you chose Brux. Not condemning, just curious.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I've read guys are getting 3150 with 140 JLKs

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I've read guys are getting 3150 with 140 JLKs
    Have you done any reading on the 6.5x.284? Most of the folks doing long distance shooting find that the main accuracy node is around 2950-3000fps. They will shoot faster than that, just not as accurately. Might be the cartridge, but more than likely the bullets. The twist that most run is 8.5. I believe the accurate barrel life for that round is somewhere around 1K rounds. Just a thought.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Yeah I've done a little reading on it.

The Creed
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.