Thread: Rangefinder for Bowhunting

I need to get a rangefinder for bowhunting. Do they make one just for bowhunting? I have no need for one that goes long range.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I bought a Nikon 440 this spring and the only thing I don't care much for is the 8x optics. I didn't thank about that feature before I got it. I would rather have lower power optics something with about 4x optics. I guess I could use it as a monocular too.
    Where the hell am I? "I Love Animals, I Eat Their Meat and Wear Their Hides"

I love my nikon 440
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

When you bow hunt, to be honest what i did, instead of buy some nice expensive awsome thing, i just got one that would simply get the job done, i think it was used to be honest, but all you really need to do is, when your sitting in your stands, range a few trees and broken limbs or if in open areas, range rocks and things that just barely stand out....this way you know that if the deer or turkey comes between that area or outside that area you can take the shot or not. I have tried to range deer while they are infront of me when im hunting but sometimes the moment of truth dosent give you to much time to take the time to do so.....b/c with bow hunting there is much more room for error and things you must to to get ready for the shot instead of trying to figure out how far your deer is....

also if your using a climber and change stands frequently just carry the thing along and when your get your stuff set up just range trees and what not again to test your yardage.....if you want to buy a awsome range finder thats up to you but those are some tricks that might be able to help you......

I've got a Bushnell Scout. It ranges down to 11 yards. It's a 6x magnification. I think the advertised max range is 400 yards which has been plenty for my uses.

For bow hunting, I use it to mark landmarks as soon as I get in the stand, like mentioned above.

I've got a Bushnell Trophy. Inexpensive and effective. Don't let anyone sell you on the angle compensation. 20 ft up and 20 yards out, you don't need it. The only feature I wanted was the scan mode and I got it with the just up from the bottom bushnell cheapo. Used everywhere from SC to Montana.

Originally posted by DMP:
    I need to get a rangefinder for bowhunting. Do they make one just for bowhunting? I have no need for one that goes long range.
    Then I wouldn't get a laser rangefinder. Find one of the old image focus ones for less than $20. Nothing wrong with it inside of bow range. It's all I've ever used for bowhunting in the South. Open country is a little different deal.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

The Stripa uses a range finder?
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

You could just put your corn out at 18 yds and wait for him to put his head down.

Originally posted by Stripa Swipa:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DMP:
    Then I wouldn't get a laser rangefinder. Find one of the old image focus ones for less than $20. Nothing wrong with it inside of bow range. It's all I've ever used for bowhunting in the South. Open country is a little different deal. </font>[/QUOTE]I've got one of them image focus Ranging75 rangefinder I'll sell for $15 its a classic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Where the hell am I? "I Love Animals, I Eat Their Meat and Wear Their Hides"

Originally posted by Candor:
    The Stripa uses a range finder?
    Very rarely and more often as a practice aid for instinctive shooting. I will come clean and admit that I'm tot'n a laser to CO this year. The terrain, size of animals, belly crawling etc will make distance judging a different game than marking distances from a tree stand. If I'm lucky enough to bed a shooter, I'll probably try to laser the deer and as many landmarks as possible from a safe distance. I don't want to have to fumble with that thing while trying to get stickbow close. Hypocritical enough for ya Sneaky?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Oh, just thought of another good use for the laser..............the next time I let you put out the turkey dekes. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Rubberhead

Last year in Mt my bro in law asked, "How far you think that pine is out there?" I guessed 40, he said 35, the guide said 70. I ranged it and it was 67. You need one out west until you get used to it.

I love my Nikon 440. Great little unit.

Originally posted by duck65:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stripa Swipa:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DMP:
    Then I wouldn't get a laser rangefinder. Find one of the old image focus ones for less than $20. Nothing wrong with it inside of bow range. It's all I've ever used for bowhunting in the South. Open country is a little different deal. </font>[/QUOTE]I've got one of them image focus Ranging75 rangefinder I'll sell for $15 its a classic. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]TLR 75 baby, that's all you'll ever need. It's rather sensitive to being bumped though...
    If you're hunting private from a loc-on just put some rocks out at 20 and 30 yards on the edge of your shooting lanes, that's what I do anyway.

I have the new Leopold (RX-II i believe) and it is great. Takes into account you angle and gives you the true yardage.