Thread: Spicy bbq sauce

I was just curious if any of the bbqers here had a recipe they would be willing to share for a spicy bbq sauce. I would like to have something similar to the sauces that they have in the bbq joints. Specifically the dukes here in town has it. It is not sauce in the sense of a creamy mixture with mustard/mayonnaise/ketchup as a base, but it is more of a liquid with spices in it that make it thicken. It is usually in a smaller squirt bottle. It is not used to baste while cooking, well I guess it could be, but more as a sauce to put on after it is cooked. It is pretty spicy and I think has a vinegar base to it. I want to try cooking deer hams in the crock pot with this mixture thinned out a little but have no idea what the bbq sauce mix is. Anyone out there have any idea?

On a side note, since bull cook does not stop by anymore this forum has kinda died out. I dabble in the kitchen a bit and would be more than willing to post up some of the recipes that I enjoy to pull together if anyone is interested. They are by no means gourmet in caliber, but hell I think they are palatable. I mostly cook wild game so......
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you

100% agree...start posting those recipes.

This should be one of the hottest forums on this site.

Try starting with an apple cider or white vinager as a base...check out www.foodforthesouthernsoul.com...Jimmy has got a great vinager base with just enough kick to it.

Thanks for the info. I will post up some recipes as soon as things slow down here a bit at work. I can't hardly even find time to surf a little, what the heck is up with that. Its like they want me to work or something.

2 gallons of cider vinegar
    cayenne pepper
    black pepper
    crushed red pepper
    white pepper
    accent seasoning
    once shot wooooooostershire sauce
    salt

bring to a boil, get the seasonings to your liking/licking....enjoy

(add a bottle of texas pete or kraft bbq sauce if you want a little color)

Thanks fish. About how long would you say the sauce stay good in the fridge after you make it?

I personally don't refrigerate. It is, after all, merely pepper and vinegar, so there really isn't anything to spoil. I've kept a bottle sitting in the pantry for over a year-- just gotta shake it up to get the pepper off the bottom.

Warning-- this is not a "sauce" like you're used to. It's real watery-- it's not like the ketchup/mustard stuff you probably see at most Q joints.

Man that recipe looks familiar...though a couple things different. Amazing how simple the vinegar based sauces are. people should take notice to the best sauce made.

Though I only boil my sauce if being used for chicken. Never have for hogs.

Black Duck
    Member # 1530

posted November 03, 2004 10:20 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know before reading this I didn't know there was anything else out there but Vinegar Sauce.

1gl AC Vinegar
    Black Pepper
    Crushed Red Pepper
    White Pepper
    Cayenne Pepper
    Splash of Worster.....however you spell it...Sauce

Mix to your own taste

Thanks for the info guys. I got all the goods to whoop me up a batch this afternoon. Now I just need something to try it on.

excuse me, but why do you boil the mixture?
    It would seem that by boiling, it would loose the vinegar bite.
    Also if it were used during cooking (baste), I would think the meat would remain tender and not dry out.
    Oh well, like I said excuse me, I'm trying to learn.
    Fetch em up !!

looking to cook some chicken bbq, want to find out how to cook it using the s.c. mustard base sauce used in the bbq joints for chicken and pork . also how to make the sauce. any help here for a new member. love this forum

come on fellaws help out with your recipes. I'm not from s.c. I've tasted the sauce passing thru and would like to be able to do some chicken or pork with it

I use the same recipe as above with some tabasco and a healthy dose of bourbon, and some onion and garlic powder. I usually season to taste while I am putting it all together.

I use the same recipe as above with some tabasco and a healthy dose of bourbon, and some onion and garlic powder. I usually season to taste while I am putting it all together.