Thread: Any one ever planted Warm season Grasses???

Default Any one ever planted Warm season Grasses???

I know this isn't a duck Question, but has any one tried, had any luck planting NWSG?? I think I have the seed bed down pat, but what about the actual seeding part? I have been told it is really hard to do. Any suggestions?

Easiest to do by hand or with a hand spreader. If using a tractor spreader can mix with cat litter. The seeds are very lightweight and small. Lightly cover. Good luck.

Pelletized lime can also help get the fluffy seed to move through your spreader.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    Easiest to do by hand or with a hand spreader. ...............are very lightweight and small. Lightly cover. Good luck.
    X2

The only warm season grasses I have planted by seed is common Bermuda. It comes in three forms, hulled ,hulled coated and unhulled. This is the time of year to plant the hulled, the seed coat is very hard and it takes lots of moisture and time to soften it for the germinating seed to break through. The hulled seed is VERY light and small and is hard to spread evenly and the coated is some what heavier and larger and only a little bit easier to spread. The big disadvantage of the coated seed is you only get half the seed the rest is coating but you plant at the same rate / ac. The germination rates are generally the same but the coated has a better survival rate after germination because of the nutrients in the coating. I learned the hard way about seed bed prep .. the best luck I have had is get the seed bed as fine as, possible pack it firm, spread the seed and pack with a cultipacker and don't really cover it.
    Last edited by tsigmon; 03-01-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    X2

The only warm season grasses I have planted by seed is common Bermuda. It comes in three forms, hulled ,hulled coated and unhulled. This is the time of year to plant the hulled, the seed coat is very hard and it takes lots of moisture and time to soften it for the germinating seed to break through. The hulled seed is VERY light and small and is hard to spread evenly and the coated is some what heavier and larger and only a little bit easier to spread. The big disadvantage of the coated seed is you only get half the seed the rest is coating but you plant at the same rate / ac. The germination rates are generally the same but the coated has a better survival rate after germination because of the nutrients in the coating. I learned the hard way about seed bed prep .. the best luck I have had is get the seed bed as fine as, possible pack it firm, spread the seed and pack with a cultipacker and don't really cover it.
    If he's thinking about planting NWSGs, he definitely isn't thinking about planting Bermuda, I can assure you that. That stuff will grow on asphalt and is the detriment of NWSGs. Totally different animal altogether.

Here is some helpful info:

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FS...4p2_021520.pdf

http://www.bugwood.org/productivity/...5-NWSG9-07.pdf

[QUOTE=stro;1642620]If he's thinking about planting NWSGs, he definitely isn't thinking about planting Bermuda, I can assure you that. That stuff will grow on asphalt and is the detriment of NWSGs. Totally different animal altogether.

So true! Brain fart on my part.