Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climate Prediction Center....

Hard to believe, but the blackbirds told me that first frost in the Pee Dee will be early this year......Hallowe'en night, to be exact. Mark your calendar for October 31st or November 1st.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

By lookin at the signs up this away I tend to agree. Gonna be a cold one like we ain't had in along time.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I hope like hell y'all are right. I want a cold ass winter.
    cut\'em

If we could have duck season weather like we had November, 2010 - January, 2011 I would be more than satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    Hard to believe, but the blackbirds told me that first frost in the Pee Dee will be early this year......Hallowe'en night, to be exact. Mark your calendar for October 31st or November 1st.
    How right were you about the cold winter we were supposed to have last year based on your blackbirds?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

The blackbirds don't predict the severity of the winter......only the date of first frost.

I know, I know. It's long-range forecasts. But several weather sites are projecting temps as low as 32 to 39 degrees for the Pee Dee beginning Friday, October 25th through Friday, November 1st.

Those old timers who watched nature and the weather knew that the blackbirds were on to something. Let's just see how the Oct. 31 prediction turns out.
    Last edited by Aging Baby Boomer; 10-18-2013 at 03:40 PM.

It won't, don't worry.

If it does, it's pure coincidence.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Speaking of, where's Harv?
    Poaching mooses to stay fat and cutting firewood to keep the tipi warm.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Spirit moose is dead, he's warpathin'

shit ton of grackles yesterday, 2 inches of snow this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Moatsy View Post
    shit ton of grackles yesterday, 2 inches of snow this morning...
    Looking good for our opener next week
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

There was a smattering of frost on some roofs around the Pee Dee this morning. But it's not what I would call a real frost. However.....it looks promising for Friday night / Saturday morning.

Default Climate Prediction Center....

Just saw this thread. Hoping for a cold winter too. Another sign is I've seen several all-black wooly worms which is supposed to mean cold all winter. I had 29 at my house this morning super early for that kind of temp but I'm not complaining!

All the wooly worms I've seen this year are solid colored too.

7:36am low tide.
    A brisk chill in the air, and I will meet the sunrise knee deep in pluff mud.
    First oysters of the season will be had...

My turds are harder than normal

Still ain't got the heat going in the house. Gonna be a cold one in the HOLE tonite.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

A heavier frost this morning - on the rooftops and the grass in the yard - even though my thermometer said 38 degrees. I think that's close enough to declare that the blackbirds had it right again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Speaking of (obtusely) migrations... did anyone else see a big push of migratory birds of all general sorts last Monday night? Monday at my deer stand was the usual. Tuesday... many more birds, some species I had not had around, and the first wood ducks.
    I was on one of the coastal plantations Monday and we saw several high flights of ducks dropping into the impoundments. The guy I was with said it was the first migraters he had seen this year.