Thread: English Strain Labs?

Met a fella yesterday out at Hermitage in Camden that had a lab that lookied like it should have had a saddle strapped to its back. Timber was his name, he was a monster! His owner said something of that dog coming from an English strain? Is this something you specifically have to search out and ask for if wanting a very large breed Lab?

The English dogs I've seen have all been smaller labs, short and stocky with big block heads.I have'nt ever seen a real big one, 65 lbs. max. The ones I know are pure English stock, heck one of the females is approx. 35 lbs.and 3.5 years old. First time I seen her I thought she was a 7 month old pup. Now I know a couple of friends who have black horses they call labs. It must take a special person to train a horse to retrieve a duck in a frozen swamp.

english are generally "stockier"... thicker, shorter legged dogs. Tend to be for show.

Sorry...got in too big of a hurry. To your question. I've had friends looking for big labs before. They basicly looked at the sire and dam, big dogs usually will throw big pups.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

What Tha Dick and Trapper said. English strain dogs are usually short in stature with a wide body.

At one time there was some blood coming out of Colorado & the western states with tall big dogs. Friend had one back in the 70's and the thing weighed close to 160lb fat. Once he got it back in shape it weighed 120. That's a big lab!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Harry Gooch has a monster yellow named Goose. He weighs a solid 120. Awesome dog, but damn he's big!
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

I have a "block" head yellow, that came from english stock, according to the breeder. He is very wide across the chest and weigh's about 100lbs with no fat on him. We bread him with a black about a year back and three of them had the big blocky head of their dad. The other four resembled the mom. My wife got him from some lady that lived over near Walterburo with all the papers and stuff, he won't sit in a duck boat though. http://www.dogster.com/dogs/319892 I don't want to hear it, my wife made up that gay info, but it's the only pictures I have on hand.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

This is what your typical "english" bred lab would look like.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

10-4 on that HC. Then the dog I met Saturday was definately not true English. He was as tall (if not more so) than a standard and had the head/body of a Mastiff, even had the droopy eye lids. I am 6'1", 238lbs and this brute's paws were as big as my hands. My son got a kick out of watching him retrieve logs, not sticks.

I have a customer whose dog I run that is true british. Her parents are still in England. She is 3 years old and only weighs about 45 pounds, but she is all drive. Some of the guys on here have seen her run and they all thought she was a puppy at the first test I brought her to.
    And on the eighth day God created retrievers!!!!!!!!