Thread: south dakota pheasant hunting

Default south dakota pheasant hunting

looks like i'm going on opening weekend this year around october 19th.

anyone been there doing this? tips? how cold is it up there that time of year?
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 04-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.

I would give a nut to do that.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Weather is usually still hot opening weekend. Not like dove season hot...but still hot. Weather can change in a heart beat up there. If you want to try and duck hunt too, you need to apply for a tag before the end of summer. It's a draw...you may get a tag...you may not. Are you hunting private land or a outfitter/preserve type place?

private land- my friends family has been hunting there for over 50 years.

Should be good. I all depends on weather before the season. Flooding during the summer months can obviously be bad. So can really really bad heat. They had good snowfall this winter, so the potholes should have water. The biggest issue is the corn being cut. Opening weekend...not as much. But when the corn is up...the birds tend to hang in there. Hard to shoot birds out of it bc of the height. If its starting to be cut...you got yourself a hell of a hunt. What town you going to?

The weather can vary from warm to snowing in October. Last year was pretty warm, but the year before was cool.

Pack for all weather. Go and have a great hunt.

SD Pheasant hunting is awesome... I have fond memories of many trips there.

That cool air from Canada blowing down the collar of your jacket, and the great beauty that is the Dakota Prairies has to be experienced..
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 05-13-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

We go every year the same weekend. I have never seen it cold. It's either hot or mild. Can get a little boring if you don't having anything planned for the mornings. Can't hunt until noon.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Pack for all weather. Go and have a great hunt.

SC Pheasant hunting is awesome... I have fond memories of many trips there.

That cool air from Canada blowing down the collar of your jacket, and the great beauty that is the Dakota Prairies has to be experienced..
    Throwing birds out of the top of a tower doesn't constitute Pheasant Hunting at least that's all I've ever seen in SC

SD different story
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Throwing birds out of the top of a tower doesn't constitute Pheasant Hunting at least that's all I've ever seen in SC

SD different story
    My typing sucks.. I have Pheasant hunted both the Dakota states..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I know I was just giving you grief
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Default SD memories

Fine hunts............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I know I was just giving you grief
    I can take it...

I don't shoot Jakes either..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    looks like i'm going on opening weekend this year around october 19th.

anyone been there doing this? tips? how cold is it up there that time of year?
    Random thoughts from the peanut gallery.......As was mentioned, be prepared for any weather. Your clothes need to be somewhat loose fitting (like overalls) to allow freedom of movement, especially for walking. Get a pair of light weight and comfortable waterproof boots RIGHT NOW and break them in thoroughly. Russells are the best. Nothing else compares, but you might be too late to get them ordered in time. If you screw up your feet, you are screwed indeed. Pheasant hunting means a LOT of walking. If you are hunting pen raised birds #6's will work, but a wild bird is pretty darn hard to kill, not hard to hit, just hard to kill. Much tougher than a mallard IMHO. I usually shoot 1200fps (for pattern uniformity) 1 1/4 oz. plated #4's or #5's. Get in shape and carry a light weight gun. You won't see any briars but the grass is high and thick. Practice shooting scrap a good bit before you go. A pheasant is a smart and sneaky bird. They are not like quail. If you see one land several hundred yards from where you flushed him, he will NOT be there when you get there. They would much rather run and hide than fly. Sometimes the rascals will let you walk right by, then fly off behind you. Pause frequently when you walk. It unnerves them and sometimes makes them fly. One of the best places to hunt is around the thick edge of a several acre pothole that is in or real near a cut sunflower or corn field. Think: food, cover and water.

Good luck
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Random thoughts from the peanut gallery.......As was mentioned, be prepared for any weather. Your clothes need to be somewhat loose fitting (like overalls) to allow freedom of movement, especially for walking. Get a pair of light weight and comfortable waterproof boots RIGHT NOW and break them in thoroughly. Russells are the best. Nothing else compares, but you might be too late to get them ordered in time. If you screw up your feet, you are screwed indeed. Pheasant hunting means a LOT of walking. If you are hunting pen raised birds #6's will work, but a wild bird is pretty darn hard to kill, not hard to hit, just hard to kill. Much tougher than a mallard IMHO. I usually shoot 1200fps (for pattern uniformity) 1 1/4 oz. plated #4's or #5's. Get in shape and carry a light weight gun. You won't see any briars but the grass is high and thick. Practice shooting scrap a good bit before you go. A pheasant is a smart and sneaky bird. They are not like quail. If you see one land several hundred yards from where you flushed him, he will NOT be there when you get there. They would much rather run and hide than fly. Sometimes the rascals will let you walk right by, then fly off behind you. Pause frequently when you walk. It unnerves them and sometimes makes them fly. One of the best places to hunt is around the thick edge of a several acre pothole that is in or real near a cut sunflower or corn field. Think: food, cover and water.

Good luck
    South Dakota releases thousands of tamie pheasant every year, chances are if you hunt there you've killed a few. I'd rather hunt ND where, to my knowledge, the only tamies released are by private preserves.

Been lucky, my wife's born and raised in SD, family friends still live in Chamberlain. Hunt right off the Missouri River on their 6,000 acre farm. Most fun ever. Hopefully, I will get out there this fall again.

We hunted Chamberlain area for many, many years.

Good advise given throughout this thread. To add, wear a light pair of shooting gloves and eye protection as well.

I love shooting 4s at Pheasants... 5s work as a great compromise load. The last few trips , we have found the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads work great. (I am told they are a Good duck load too LOL!!)

Cabela's in Mitchell has everything you need (and lots of stuff you want)....

Enjoy!!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Fun as shit. Nuff said
    cut\'em

Also, I like to carry a double 20 gauge, rather than an autoloader 12. Yes, every once in a while you will wish you had 3 shots. However, with all of the walking you do, it sure is nice to have a nice 20. I have never felt under-gunned, even shooting low brass shells. Pheasants have a reputation for being tough, but I can't remember losing a bird with my 20 (although I'm sure it's happened). Comfort is key.
    Carolina Counsel