Thread: Out west help

Default Out west help

Guys I am currently planning my 2013 fall hunting trip. I know this is a duck hunting forum but I need a little pheasant hunting help. My Uncles want to meet up in South Dakota. Which I will do for atleast 1 hunt. However I am not a big fan of crowds, atleast not in the woods or field. I fear that if I base my trip out west soley in SD that my pheasant hunts will resemble something like a Hickory Top GTR Sat morning sky bust jamboree. I would like to avoid the crowds if at all possible. If SD offers hunting that can be had without lots of hunters, I will base my hunt there. I Have family (father in law) in Kansas that has land and birds. However the season there doesn't start until Novemeber. My vacation expires Nov 1st so I need to use it in Oct. I have no problem hunting N. Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming. I have spent the last several years going to Michigan but there pheasant and grouse numbers are down. Last year was the worst I have ever encountered. I plan to take 3 weeks to travel and hunt. 90% of the huntinng will be just me and one or both of the dogs. I am finalizing plans to rent a house and 2000 acres in ND. I have never been out west, and my Uncle has never given me bad advice, he insist I go to S. Dakota and be done with it. He tells me to hunt the ditches and just go, you can't go wrong. My gut tells me I can. Any insight?

I see by far the most pheasant hunters on Saturdays. In other words I think that might be when roosters come out of their holes

Hunting ditches can be hit or miss. And it's not something I would want to do with my dog bc of traffic. It's not like a ton of cars and trucks zoom by, but you do get some traffic. Pheasant hunting is a pretty big deal up there. It's tough to just ask a landowner for permission bc most of them hunt it or lease the ground up. Have you considered going with an outfitter? If its only for one day, it would be reasonable. Pheasant numbers play a big role along with habitat. This year was dry as shit and a lot of CRP had been cut bc of drought relief for livestock. Hunting was ok to sub par.

Yes I am considering going with and outfitter. I don't care to hunt released birds, nor do I car to hunt 20 guys together pushing a field. I wouldn't mind that 1 time, but it would have to be with like 20 people I knew. I think I will throw the tent, sleeping bag in the truck and just head west. Probably a dumb ass move, but I am liking the flexibility it offers.

put a one day oufitter into your budget. Maybe someone close to good CSRP land. If you can get one really good hunt in with the outfiter and killl a few out of the CSRP fields, ditches, etc. it would be a good trip.

Get a camper shell for your truck.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 02-10-2013 at 07:09 PM.

S dakota is superior to the other states for pheasant. A good guided hunt will cost you about 250 per day. Ditch hunting gets old quick. Free landing for pheasants is almost nonexistent.
    Carolina Counsel

I would rather hunt somewhere other then South Dakota ... When I kill a bird I like to know it's wild. Their government releases over one million pheasant a year.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I would rather hunt somewhere other then South Dakota ... When I kill a bird I like to know it's wild. Their government releases over one million pheasant a year.
    Where whould you recommend going for pheasant and duck? I would like to make the trip this year and planned on SD, but I do not want to shoot release birds. Where would you recommend and why?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimeduckhunter View Post
    Where whould you recommend going for pheasant and duck? I would like to make the trip this year and planned on SD, but I do not want to shoot release birds. Where would you recommend and why?
    Seriously, stop. This is cyber scouting at its finest, and now you're asking people to name specific locations. What I suggest: go out there, drive around, and figure it out like everyone else does. It might take some time, but that's how you do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    Seriously, stop. This is cyber scouting at its finest, and now you're asking people to name specific locations. What I suggest: go out there, drive around, and figure it out like everyone else does. It might take some time, but that's how you do it the right way.
    That is ridiculous, I was simlply asking a question to his post. He stated that SD releases over a million birds/yr. I was asking is he knew of other states doing the same. Does ND, Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas release birds also?

It was a simple question, not asking for gps coordinates or specific locations, just weather other states are doing the same release program?

My uncle used to go out to SD every fall for pheasant hunting with an outfitter. He loved it. Sounded like money well spent. If you want, I'll get an outfitter's name for you. He liked it so much, he paid the way for a cousin to hunt with him.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Badfaulkner
    We are planning on using an outfitter, just have not started looking yet.

I have an outfitter I use in SE Nebraska I will be willing to give you some info. PM me if your are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimeduckhunter View Post
    That is ridiculous, I was simlply asking a question to his post. He stated that SD releases over a million birds/yr. I was asking is he knew of other states doing the same. Does ND, Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas release birds also?

It was a simple question, not asking for gps coordinates or specific locations, just weather other states are doing the same release program?
    No, you asked where to go for pheasant and duck hunting. Lots of people have put many miles on trucks, spent a lot of money on gas, and given up hundreds of hours of free time to find the very things you're trying to get for free. If you don't understand why that irritates the people who have put the work in, then it's not worth explaining to you.

I will not pay a guide for ditch chickens.

NE KS OK IL IN MO have plenty of pheasants to be killed.

Anywhere the word outfitter is used, he more than likely pays for them in the spring.

Farmers in SD are buying and releasing nowadays.

Nodak south of I-94 and west of Jamestown towards Bismark
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS