Thread: Question about the middle seat in a riveted jon boat?

Default Question about the middle seat in a riveted jon boat?

Has anyone taken the middle seat out of a riveted jon boat? I was wondering if it was difficult and does anyone know someone that could possibly do it for a decent price?

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

What size boat?

Taking that middle bench out is going to weaken that section of the hull and allow it flex a good bit. Aside from a seat, it's a structural component of the boat.

yeah, that was another problem I knew I'd run into. Its a 1448. The middle seat just seems to get in the way more than its used..
    "Fear God, Love your neighbor, and shoot ducks"

Quote Originally Posted by failed@usc View Post
    The middle seat just seems to get in the way more than its used..
    I know the feeling and I've thought about doing the same thing in my boat but it would have to be braced somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    Taking that middle bench out is going to weaken that section of the hull and allow it flex a good bit. Aside from a seat, it's a structural component of the boat.
    Especially with a boat with that much width, although the shorter length would lessen it to a certain extent. They build/engineer them with that seat/brace in mind, take the fact that it is rivoted makes the twisting even worse structurally. Consider hollowing out the seat for more storage and leave the seat in place. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I took the middle seat out of a 1448 rivited duracraft and used it for many years then I put the seat back in when I sold it. You will need to add some braces if you remove the seat.
    VW Mud Motors

Drill the rivets out, epoxy the holes with a backer on the inside. I used penny, then sand and ride. I'm willing to bet you could order that boat with no center seat and it will not have extra bracing. Know your limits and you will be fine. Mine flexes a little and I give it Hell.
    I still fly that southern flag.
    Whistling Dixie loud enough to brag.

We just got done doing this to my boat.from my experience I would put a brace were seat was just to make sure no flexing.we also put aluminum floor in so we could put the floation foam in boat.here is a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbyhill; 07-09-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Check under it to see if there are any ribs...
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

I took my middle seat out of the old 1436 duracraft. I did how ever extend the front deck to add extra support to the front and flooring that was screwed to each brace to help down through the middle. It still flexed a little but heck all aluminum boats do. Fill the old riveted holes with small stainless screws with flat washers, lock washers and a little bead of silicon.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Preciate it fellas. Bobbyhill, I like what you did to yours. Hope mine turns out that good!
    "Fear God, Love your neighbor, and shoot ducks"

Drill it out, and add braces

So, how might one go about adding a brace?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    So, how might one go about adding a brace?
    By putting the seat back in it...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Been considering about taking th middle out of mine and was thinking that since it is an OLD 1436 it will be narrow and flex less than wider boats. Also running a longtail so wont exactely be going fast. I really want to run a long board from the front deck to the rear bench to create a nice longitudinal bench that can be slid to the middle when the blind is up and to the side when running. I'm just tired of strattling benches or sitting sideways. What say you guys, worth a go or not worth the effort?