Thread: Anybody Here Ever Smoked Bream?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Anybody Here Ever Smoked Bream?

I've smoked a truck load of trout that I've caught. They're very similar to smoked salmon, although not quite as strong/fishy tasting. I've also smoked salmon filets that I bought. I've smoke bass filets too. But I've never smoked catfish or bream.

We are draining one of the ponds out back and now that the water is getting low the titty bream are eating anything that hits the water. I can go down and catch 30-40 titty bream in an hour right now. My nephew hit the pond the last 2 days. Thursday he was down at the pond for 45 minutes and came back with 25 fat orange bellies. yesterday him and his girlfriend fished for less than an hour and caught 30 more. All big fat almost black brimps.

I'm gonna hit the pond tomorrow and drag out as many as I can catch cause I want to smoke a bunch of them up. I figure I'll smoke a bunch, eat some then freeze the rest to use in recipes that call for smoked fish as an ingredient. That is if they come out good.

If anyone here has ever smoked any bream tell me how they came out?

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 08-25-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie - I haven't smoked any bream that I can recall but it's hard for me to believe you'd go wrong. Pecan, apple or some sort of fruit wood should be a good choice. Let us know how it turns out.

I have heard of people smoking dog hair, and banana peels, but I always thought they were full of shit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've cooked them on the grill but never slow smoked them. It helps to fillet out the dorsal and anal fins. On bigger ones, I also cut two or three diagonal slices down to the back bone to let marinate and smoke flavor in. I baste them with butter, lemon juice, and Tony Chacheres. It's my favorite way to eat bream.

i could never get them to fit in the rolling paper

Vape it

Never had smoked bream but smoked mullet is great!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

well?

Mergie we fried some this spring and the. The next night we were smokin chicken and threw the left over breaks on the grill to reheat and damn if they weren't good with a little smoke in them.

I have never just straight smoked them though as they are way to good swimming in hot oil!
    Phillipians 4:13

I know a feller that drinks their piss.

Don't be messing with the birthday boy.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Cause it's sterile and he likes the way it tastes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I done smoked a lot of shit in my life but it never occured to me to smoke a fish.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Cause it's sterile and he likes the way it tastes?
    No. Cause his jaws was flapping when I aimed a bream at his mouth and squoze the piss stream out of the bream. He threatened to whoop me. Uh...after he quit spitting bream piss.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Sorry I ain't got on them yet but it has rained every day here since I made that post. With the water down there ain't nothing but pure mud down there right now.

Boy, that laughin brought tears to my eyes!!!
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

I'm a little bit disappointed in how this thread turned out.

I was thinking something totally different when I read the title on the homepage.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Lemme guess, you were thinkin' "pole"???

Good but hard to keep lit!