Thread: Good Weekend 3-19/20

Sat. went to a place on our property that has historically held birds. Scouted last Monday before I came back to Chas. Tracks following firebreaks right up to the powerlines. Sat morning got up a little too early went to Hampton to get some coffee at the Exxon then drove back to the sheds and walked in from there. They sky was starting to lighten and I walked back to a good spot on the fire break between a hardwood bottom and mature pine stand. Picked a good pine and scooped out a comfortable seat on the base. I usually wait for the first gobble before I call. I did not get one, I got three - one from behind, in front, and to the right a good ways off. MAN!!
    Sent out the box call and the one in front on the roost liked it. A hen pulled up (never saw her) on the right and started the big no-no...Too much calling and too desperate. It worked she had the one behind me gobblin like a mad man. THe one in front after about 20 minutes was locked on to me. Every call GOBBLE, GObble, Gobble. Set up and waited. Heard the drumming before I saw the bird. Knew that bird was coming in. Had the gun ready and was totally comfortable on the tree. Saw that white head in front of the fan and my knee jerked about a half an inch. Was I busted? No...... WHew. Sat there and watched this bird come out of the woods for around 3 minutes then dropped it. 20 lb according to the scale with a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

The next day we went again. Birds were the same way. Got bumped from that area by brothers friends. Told them I was not going the day before. Woke up like an old man w/o an alarm clock around 5. The lights were on in the cabin so I went over to see where all were going. They had my area pinned.

Had to pick an unscouted area on P-lines. There was a bottom sepearting 2 food plots. My little brother was on the one up from me. We were competing for the same bird. That bird caome out on his side to his decoys and I had a clear view of the whole grass area. Watched it come out move into him and heard him shoot. Miss. He got that bird away from me but damn he needs to pattern that gun in.

Anyway just want to pass a good couple of days hunting along.

Nice hunting! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Great story! Congrats.
    Reloading is one of the few times in life when it pays to allow yourself to be truly paranoid!

"Y'all be safe out there"
    NRA Lifer 1970