Thread: Lessons learned during the 2012 turkey season

Default Lessons learned during the 2012 turkey season

2012 has been my 18th serious season (I had a few before '95 hunting turkeyless properties). Reflecting back on a long season (I started March 3rd) these are some things I have learned.

#1. Don't stand up to shoot a turkey with a foot asleep (TX)
    #2. Don't let anyone in a turkey camp know that you have a fear of snakes (TX and FL)
    #3. Don't drink too much 101 the night before a hunt can keep turkeys from getting shot (SC, GA, TN, KY and NE)
    #4. Buy Permitherin and a tick key and use them (TX, TN, WY, MT and WI)
    #5. When hunting late season in the midwest bring rubber boots or your pants will stay wet all day (WI)
    #6. A 10 ga with Nitros that patterns at 70 yards is NOT a 70 yard gun. (NE)
    #7. No matter how much you walk, if you eat turkey camp food for 10 weeks your pants will fit tight at the end of the season.
    #8. Bring Goldbond on a Texas hunting trip.
    #9. Buy 5 Hour Energy Drinks, Aspirin and heart burn medicine in bulk.
    #10. Carry your bino in you carry on luggage.
    #11. If you cell/Blackberry service is AT&T, buy a Verizon HotSpot.
    #12. If you eat Mexican, don't leave the truck without aloe Wetwipes.
    #13. No hunt is a slam dunk and roosted is not roasted (SC and NE)
    #14. Don't back up your first Nitro load with $10 Nitro loads as that will be $20 wasted (NE)
    #15. Don't shoot 3.5" Nitro loads oit of a pop-up blind if you like your hearing (TN)
    #16. Don't let anyone in turkey camp let their white lab spend the day in your rental car as the rental car companies don't like that (NE)
    #17. Single girls don't hang out in turkey camps.
    #18. If you plan to attend country music concerts and have back stage passes don't plan on hunting the next day (KY, TN)
    #19. If you miss 3 turkeys in one day, keep your chin up, your luck can change in 24 hours! (NE, WY, MT)
    #20. If you fly out of the Denver airport, arrive 2 hours early as the TSA their isn't speedy (WY, NE, MT)

and finally

If you haven't started a Grand Slam, don't start or you will be addicted and spend more time and money than a sane man should chasing these damn birds!
    Last edited by HartClemson99; 05-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Glad you had a memorable season but Rule # 6 disturbs me.

Good Post!

Hart, I told you what should have been rule #1 sitting at a table in Colleton County the night before the season. It would have solved a lot of your problems.

#1. I've seen a lot of people shoot over em, but it's hard as hell to shoot under em. Sweep the leg!!
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Good post

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

If it took you 18 years to learn roosted aint roasted you're doing much better than most.

While you're filing away tidbits for the memory bank, remember this one too...shooting a turkey while in the act of resolving acute gastrointestinal duress is a bad idea.
    Running to a flopping turkey before SECURING your turkey hunting pants around your waist is a really bad idea.
    Attempting to continue running after your turkey hunting pants have fallen back around your ankles is a really really bad idea.