Thread: Troll motor battery

What do y'all use for your electic notor battery. I have replaced my interstate marine deep cycle too many times. I charge it everytime I use it and this is getting damn expensive.

ZInterstate deep cycle marine battery... $30.00

MIne is two years old and will run for days.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Them gel filled interstates are tough
    She was long and lean every young mans dream

Don't have one anymore, but used to use one the gel Optima batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Mine is a Stinger, but it cost me about $90. Here are some tips:

Don't charge it unless you have less than half the life left (if you can help it)
    Charge it on a 6 amp charge for about three days (the charge will last much longer)
    don't let it sit on concrete, it will kill your batt.

S&A, where did you get that batt.....you happy with it. That seems awful inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I have been through the stingers like Sushi goes through petit and slim condoms. I have a new battery in my boat now that I am trying...It is a hybrid of some kind...part gel, part whatever...I haven't had them long enough to tell the life cycle...But they hold up good on a charge....and I have used the malarki out of them w/ this windy spring.... I will get you the name of em...but..like I say, I would get some cheapies till I can tell you about how good they are....175 a piece...that is pricey if they aren't as good next year..
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Interstate distrubution center on Bluff Rd. These are blem's = no sticker or they have a scuff etc...

I was under the impression that you were to recharge a battery after every use and go on the light (2 amp) charge. If I left mine on 12 volt and 6 amp, it would boil it dry.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by artdevilish:
    I have been through the stingers like Sushi goes through petit and slim condoms.
    Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Will Rogers

The concrete killing batteries is BS. Maintaining a charge on batteries is the key to battery life. Pony up the money for a good multiple bank charger (Guest is my preference) and plug it in every time you use the boat.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I use the deep cycle Optima There pricey but they take 100% charge don't leak or corrode. A friend has had 1 in his boat for 4 years. and it's still going strong.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Where on Bluff Sushi? I know of the place on Garner's Ferry.

Sorry... Shop Rd ext - just past Atlas rd.
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by Sasha and Abby:
    I was under the impression that you were to recharge a battery after every use and go on the light (2 amp) charge. If I left mine on 12 volt and 6 amp, it would boil it dry.
    You're right about the 2 amp charge...That's what I meant, not 6. But I don't charge mine after every use. Oh well, whatever works.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I was told to recharge after each use. I can't remember who told me this.

geez....will somebody who actually KNOWS the answer step up?!?

2amp, 6 amp, 12 volt, charge after every use, charge only if 1/2 dead, concrete, no concrete.....i am dizzy.

the interstate place is on leventis rd, just past atlas....also a good ATV mechanic back there.

anyway, i got my battery at sams, charge it on the 12volt 6amp deep cycle, charge 24/7 after every use until it shows full charge, and never leave it on concrete. i have no idea why, that's just what i do. can anyone shed any light on this subject??? i am an interested bystander.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've just gone through these issues and would be glad to help. First off, don't worry about leaving the battery on concrete. Today's batteries have better protective cases than our grandfathers' and you will NOT lose charge by placing them on concrete. Anyone who claims otherwise is full of crap. Get an auto charger or it will not cutt off once it is completed and will fry your battery. The best setting is 15 amp, 12 V but any trickle charge from 2 amps up will do the trick. I wish you luck my friend.
    Feeling good\'s good enough...

trickle charge (ex. 2amp) untill fully charged. If you splurge and buy one of thse automatic chargers it will cut off when batt is fully charged.

Concrete is a bullshit myth. We store ours on concrete here at work.

A deep cycle batt does not retain memory, charge it after every use or when it dies it does not matter.

Optima gel is worth the $$$$
    More fuel = more boost!!

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I use nothing but the best. The biggest wal-mart battery I can find to fit where I need it to. I have a deep cycle that Ive been using for about 3-4 years, granted I use the trolling motor maybe 3 times a month. I charge it when its weak, add water when its low, never had one die... yet....Also use a wal mart battery for starting batteries in the truck and mud boat. I dont think Ive paid more than 40-50 bucks for one either.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

"The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"