Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey Vest

Cabela's TT2

I have no idea what kind of vest I have.

I just tried a bunch on, and this one had a comfortable seat, plenty of nifty pockets that wouldnt lose my strikers, and had minimal cloth which traps heat.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Just ordered a new Super Elite III from wing supply on sale for $29. This is a $90 vest usually, just in case anyone is in the market for one check that site out.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 02-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Feetdown, that is a cool story. I searched for my numbers as well on my Dixon vest. Since it was for cancer research, I got #1238 as my Dad died of cancer when I was 12 and he was born in 38. The other I scored was #363 as it was my fraternity number in college. I called an awful lot of hunting stores to track it down!
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Just ordered a new Super Elite III from wing supply on sale for $29. This is a $90 vest usually, just in case anyone is in the market for one check that site out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I got one on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDkhntr View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I got one on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Ive never seen a more well thought out design than the Dixon. Everything about it is perfect IMO. Ill wear my Dixon until Im dead if it lasts that long. The limbhanger is very similar, if I were in the market, thats the one Id go with.

I bought my Dixon in 1986. Hardwarehouse had #0444, the number is significant because 4 was my number from little league all the way through tournament softball. The vest is significant because part of the proceeds from the sale of them went to cancer research. I had just lost my Grandmother to cancer not long before that. I think about Bom Bom every time I put it on. I cant remember what I paid for it, it was $150 I think, but I woulda probably paid $250 at the time. I cant put a price on the sentimental value of that vest, but I know $750 wouldnt even be close.
    Great story. I for some reason thought they just came out with the 1,986 limited edition vest in 2008 for cancer research because Dixon died in 2003 from the disease and this was a way to commemorate his life because Mossy Oak started in 1986.

Did he make early models in the 1980s that were numbered and are also referred to as dixon vests?
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 02-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.

- thanks for the pro-tip on the Super Elite. Just placed an order on WS.

Cabelas Tactical Tater 2 is what I use, great vest.

Quote Originally Posted by cut em' View Post
    Don't wear one. Don't need one.
    i am with you on this one

LowcountryBuck,
    First off great picture. The Dixon Vests were only out one year.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    LowcountryBuck,
    First off great picture. The Dixon Vests were only out one year.

Yeah, and it wasn't 1986. I mistyped that. I was thinking 05 but it might have been 08

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

At the beginning of last year I got the Limbhanger. It is a really good vest but lacks some of the little neato things on the Dixon. I upgraded from a Super Elite. Somebody on here bought it out the TP, hope it is still getting some use. I liked the better pocket layout, much better seat of the Limbhanger. IMO.

The Dixon

The Limbhanger

I've got what I believe is the 'Limbhanger' and think it's great.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I'm just the opposite. I had the limbhanger and didn't like the pockets at all. I think I upgraded by getting the super elite3. I've found that the vest style fit me better than the strap style.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've had the limbhanger since it came out...I've hunted a Dixon vest down for years ...they are very hard to come by...I have a buddy with one

The limbhanger isn't as tough as the Dixon bit its damn close. Its def lighter and "cooler" than the Dixon

I rigged my limbhanger seat with magnets exactly like the Dixon
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.