Thread: Bear Island

Default Bear Island

Got a buddy that got drawn for Bear Island this weekend.. I never had the opportunity of hunting there.. Anybirds moved in the area?

-Im not scouting for him, so dont give me any blind numbers or specific spots.. Just trying to cyber hunt from the left coast out here, since i cant go....

East, West, or The Cut?

Dont know much about it.. Just got your PM thanks man

If it's sat then it's for the cut.

I'll be there with him. Hopefully we'll have a few shovelers to shoot at.

Be patient and stay late you will kill more than a shoveler

Dont expect them to decoy like on tv either

Scouting / blinds won't matter - you'll draw for blinds.

You'll probably want to bring a bag or two of your own decoys. They provide decoys, but it's not usually more than a mixed dozen.

Go where they tell you but move as soon as you see a pattern develop. If the birds aren't landing in the decoys at 10 minutes after daylight, they won't do it two hours later either. Go where the birds are trying to land. I don't mean get close, I mean exactly where the birds want to land.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Yea they shoot the Cutt on saturdays, and yea they should kill more than a shlover. At lease a hoody hairy head!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Scouting / blinds won't matter - you'll draw for blinds.

You'll probably want to bring a bag or two of your own decoys. They provide decoys, but it's not usually more than a mixed dozen.

Go where they tell you but move as soon as you see a pattern develop. If the birds aren't landing in the decoys at 10 minutes after daylight, they won't do it two hours later either. Go where the birds are trying to land. I don't mean get close, I mean exactly where the birds want to land.

Never hunted Bear Island, but this is what the people tell me who have. I'd listen to it.

ya'll worked on the widgeon. we had a good time. Got to meet some real nice folks
    Last edited by Phone Man; 01-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

That was my buddy and his old man that cleaned house. It was fun.
    DILLIGAF

gotcha, we rode in with them. Awesome to see the almost 70 year old guy hunting with his son. He was happy as a pig in crap too.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

That old fella is the real deal. A true Southern gentleman, highly esteemed lawyer and man of letters. Dying breed I am afraid.
    DILLIGAF

would love to sit down with him and listen to some stories, bet he has quite a few

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by duckboy84 View Post
    Be patient and stay late you will kill more than a shoveler
    This.

I've hunted BIE 8 times over the years, 2 times at the Cut. The best hunt I've ever had was on a Jan 13th my cousin and I drew blind number 13. We killed 13 birds, a couple of teal, the rest were mallards and sprigs. I have never had a bad hunt at BIE. Take some early teal when they present, then be patient.

• Like someones else said, take your own decoys. Leave theirs on the dike.

• Use the blind for early teal.

• Later leave the boat in the blind and set up somewhere away from it. This late in the season the big birds may shy away from the blind.

• As stated...be mobile, be ready to move as soon as you see where the birds want to be.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."