Thread: Last chance

Default Last chance

Monday, November 12th
    is the LAST DAY to submit recipes for the scducks cookbook.

Recipes MUST be your own. Recipes from John Doe submitted by Jeff Doe will automatically be rejected, (do not be smart butts - you all get the gist).
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

If ya ain't got a catfish stew recipe u can use this one. I don't have any exact measurements cuz I don't measure shit but its a basic stew and anyone with any cooking sense should be able to follow it and make a good stew.

This will make a stew for a decent crowd.... adjust where u see fit.

3-5lbs of catfish filets
    3-4 lbs of potatoes
    2-3 medium onions
    2 small cans tomato paste
    Two small cans of diced tomatoes
    half pack of bacon or fatback. Fatback preferred
    Half bottle or so of ketchup
    6 hard boiled eggs.
    Fish batter and oil to fry catfish in
    Salt and pepper
    Texas Pete or similar hot sauce

Lightly fry fish first. I leave my filets whole and cook them just enough to brown them but not cook them all the way through. Peel and cube (1/2 inch) taters. Boil taters and eggs until taters are almost done. Brown fatback or bacon in frying pan and then add the diced onions and cook until they are browned. You should have enough water in the pot already from boiling the taters. Break up your catfish into small pieces and add to pot. Add the cooked onions fatback tomato paste diced tomatoes and your diced up boiled eggs. Add about a half bottle of ketchup. at this point u may have to add more water depending on the consistency you are looking for. Add salt and pepper to taste. This needs to simmer for atleast an hour being careful not to scorch the bottom of the pot. I add about a half bottle of hot sauce but you can also adjust this to taste and/or your crowd. Taste after about an hour and add salt pepper ketchup or hot sauce to taste. Enjoy

I like to cook my stew the night before. Then put it in the fridge overnight and heat it back up. For some reason I think it taste better like this. The longer this stew simmers the better it is.

I've been entering catfish stew(s) as #1, #2, etc - seems none are the same. I am using the name of whoever submitted the recipe, unless otherwise requested.
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

2 sticks (1/2 lb) softened butter
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    6 eggs (room temperature)
    3 cups all purpose flour (sifted before measuring)
    2 teaspoons baking power
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
    1 cup sour cream (room temperature)
    1/2 cup bourbon(your favorite)
    1 1/2 cup chopped pecans (very lightly tossed with flour)
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix bourbon and sour cream - set aside.
    Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg - set aside.
    Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time scraping sides down after each addition.
    Add vanilla.
    Add sour cream/ bourbon mixture alternately with flour mixture, being careful not to overwork batter.
    Lightly fold in pecans.
    Pour in pound cake pan and bake 1 hour and 15 mins. (Check for doneness with toothpick at 1 hour.)

Bourbon Glaze

After cake has cooled, mix about a tablespoon of bourbon and a tablespoon of water to your liking (straight bourbon is fine!) Add powdered sugar until the consistancy will drizzle but hold on cake. Drizzle and enjoy.

This cake is best a day or two after it is made.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake, indeed. I'd throw a cast net over one of those mofo's to make sure it didn't escape...

How 'bout this'n?
    http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....ht=goat+cheese

Teal and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

Sear 4 duck breasts until rare/medium rare
    Caramelize 1 large onion
    Reduce 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar until it forms a syrup
    Spread sliced duck, onion and a liberal amount of goat cheese onto a flour tortilla and brown until the cheese is melted
    Drizzle with balsamic reduction
    Last edited by Lowcountry Boy; 11-10-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: sp

Don't worry about spelling - the formatting software spell checks. I've been using the scducks "handle", unless I'm told otherwise.

Ex: Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake
    Submitted by: Catdaddy