Thread: Float pods

Default Float pods

I own a 1236 g3 and thinking about getting those beavertail float pods for it this christmas. They are 15.5 inches wide on the boat which leaves 4 inches of play for the motor to turn. Is that enough room? Just curious if anyone else has them and if they help that much more

Go turn the motor and measure 4 inches seems a little tight. I would also be worried about the length of them and the distance that they will go back past the transom and it it will clear the prop. Will you be able to trim motor up to shallow water drove, or to trailer it?

Might be better off to have someone custom make you some pods. Any good weilder/fab shop should be able to do with out much trouble.
    Phillipians 4:13

Wouldnt that cost alot more? I wish i was home but im away at school right now and wont be able to play with my boat until then. I feel like 4 inches is tight too. I guys i could call around though.

It wouldn't be that much more and you would get a better fit. What exactly are you looking to gain out the pods?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Stability and i heard if done right they add to your weight limit up to 200 pounds which would be nice.

I don't know that a 12' boat is worth sinking that kind of cash into.

Why not sell it and bet something more your style?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I'd listen to turbo. Pods on a 1236 wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd go with a bigger boat.

I know i think about that but i already have so much money in it now. Its a pretty sweet rig. Does anyone know of someone who could custom make some and put them on?

What's your location?

I have a 1542 and had thought long and hard about pods. When I finally went to see a guy about getting them done he said that on a boat that small the pods would not have a great enough effect to justify getting them. He actually refused to do them because it would be a waste of my money. I went home that day and started a savings fund to buy a new boat. I wish I had done that instead of thinking about the pods for so long.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bohunter View Post
    I know i think about that but i already have so much money in it now. Its a pretty sweet rig. Does anyone know of someone who could custom make some and put them on?
    Listen to these guys on here. Invest in something else.

4 inches is plenty, as long as you dont care about trivial things such as steering.

Carolinaboy I live in the upstate near chester

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    4 inches is plenty, as long as you dont care about trivial things such as steering.
    Hahaha

Bo the main reason most add pods is to increase surface area for better load carrying and more plaining surface. On a boat your size you will be added more area and more surface area, but in grand scheme of things I doubt it will help you with either. Since your boat is small it is still going to sit low in the water with a load and I doubt you have trouble plaining off.

Call a couple local fab shops and see what they would charge, but honestly I would worry and would put that money toward something else.
    Phillipians 4:13

I don't know of fab shop up there, but there are plenty in Laurens and Greenville.

Again, I would spend the money on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    Again, I would spend the money on something else.
    This. Or just put that money into a savings fund and start saving up for that bigger boat. I've put a lot of money and memories into mine as well and hate to sell it but I know I'll be happier with a bigger boat.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

I grew up Chester and live in RH. PM me if you need some local contacts for stuff like that
    But with that being said I think they are pointless for a boat that small

Thanks for the help guys. This is just my first boat and I really hate to get rid of it.

I know the feeling. Here's a tip though, start saving for a new boat, may not ever decide to get one but if you do, you'll already have some saved up. I wish I had started saving the day I got my first boat.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler