Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webfoot Retrievers

Dude...

Find a piece of hot smokin snatch and pawn the pup off on her for a weekend or two when you head out of town...

Win-win situation
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by romeocadet08 View Post

I used Tom Dokken's retriever training book...damn good book with pictures...

As that is the only kind of book you can read......

Bizzle, give dude my number and I'll hook him up. Too much to type on a damn phone.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I already have the smoking hot snatch, PBiz can attest to that. Otherwise I would be ten steps ahead of you and would have more then one piece lined up for everyday of the week, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Do you still have on white oakleys and an American Eagle trucker hat?

Chucklaw is a good buddy of mine..

Anybody with useful info, please hook him up..
    You got to see one of my top 5 drunking moments Saturday. I was almost ashamed of myself, but you'll have that. Helluva time though.

this is going to be a good one.
    Last edited by drylok17; 09-13-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Busted water pipe in the house today...my blood pressure is already up because of that I guess. Sorry for being such a retriever snob. I guess looking at dog ownership as a huge responsibility makes you stuck up now? Anyway, you original post was confusing, the 2nd much more clear. You need to wait till the puppy loses his puppy teeth to send him for retriever training. You can do his basic obedience during the week. But you don't even need to start that right now. Just enjoy your new pup and get him house trained. Try and find some girlfriends who will want to watch him while your out of town. Or better yet...tell your friends you can't make the wedding. Trust me...you won't talk to half those people in another 5 years anyway. Ya...I know I'm an asshole...the truth hurts.

Anyway, when your ready to start basic obedience try and get your friend to show you the basics and watch the videos you have. It's pretty simple stuff. Also, begin to research trainers. Talk to them about their training methods, the kennels, how many dogs they have, do they do the training or have an assistant do it? Do they get your dog on real birds and is that extra $$? How long have they been training, what are their expectations of you? How often will thru want to work with you, do they hunt during hunting season, and if so...what do they do with the dogs? Some guys will hunt your dog if it is far enough along in training. Others will leave the dogs behind with an assistant to handle training. Lots of questions...you can't ask enough of them. And you will know when you found a good match. And call me a d bag or whatever the fuck else you want. That dog is your best friend. They are loyal as shit and won't ever want to let you down. You made the decision to become his owner, which means that dog should take precedence over tailgates, pussy, your frat brothers wedding or whatever else. Don't agree with me? Just wait till that dog is 12 years old and he takes one last car ride to the vet with you while you cry like a damn baby. You won't be thinking of the great usc tailgate of 2012. You'll be thinking about the special mornings you spent with that dog in a duck blind somewhere. Enjoy your time with him or her and take care of em. They're one of the few things in life that love you back no matter what. Especially if your an asshole like me

I bought my lab from Ralph Ardis with Will-Do Kennels even though I have been training her myself with direction from multiple "retriever guys" Ralph has checked in with me asking about my pup and invited me several times to train with him. If you are wanting to get someone to train it for you, you should check him out for sure super nice guy and very helpful.

Awwwww

In all seriousness check out beaver creek kennels. Their operation is top notch, just be willing to fork out a little bit of coin.
    Last edited by drylok17; 09-13-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Also from what I have gathered through my learning is you should do the obiedience yourself, it will set the foundation for you and your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Busted water pipe in the house today...my blood pressure is already up because of that I guess. Sorry for being such a retriever snob. I guess looking at dog ownership as a huge responsibility makes you stuck up now? Anyway, you original post was confusing, the 2nd much more clear. You need to wait till the puppy loses his puppy teeth to send him for retriever training. You can do his basic obedience during the week. But you don't even need to start that right now. Just enjoy your new pup and get him house trained. Try and find some girlfriends who will want to watch him while your out of town. Or better yet...tell your friends you can't make the wedding. Trust me...you won't talk to half those people in another 5 years anyway. Ya...I know I'm an asshole...the truth hurts.

Anyway, when your ready to start basic obedience try and get your friend to show you the basics and watch the videos you have. It's pretty simple stuff. Also, begin to research trainers. Talk to them about their training methods, the kennels, how many dogs they have, do they do the training or have an assistant do it? Do they get your dog on real birds and is that extra $$? How long have they been training, what are their expectations of you? How often will thru want to work with you, do they hunt during hunting season, and if so...what do they do with the dogs? Some guys will hunt your dog if it is far enough along in training. Others will leave the dogs behind with an assistant to handle training. Lots of questions...you can't ask enough of them. And you will know when you found a good match. And call me a d bag or whatever the fuck else you want. That dog is your best friend. They are loyal as shit and won't ever want to let you down. You made the decision to become his owner, which means that dog should take precedence over tailgates, pussy, your frat brothers wedding or whatever else. Don't agree with me? Just wait till that dog is 12 years old and he takes one last car ride to the vet with you while you cry like a damn baby. You won't be thinking of the great usc tailgate of 2012. You'll be thinking about the special mornings you spent with that dog in a duck blind somewhere. Enjoy your time with him or her and take care of em. They're one of the few things in life that love you back no matter what. Especially if your an asshole like me
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

That is some good stuff right there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Train the dog yourself. You are creating a relationship.

I guess the question is "what is your goal?" Do you want a robot that can make a 500yd blind double retrieve across 14 corn fields and a river? or do you want a hunting companion that hangs on YOUR every word and would do anything to please YOU.

Training a dog is just the title given, its more about training you as the "master." That dog already knows more about hunting and retrieving than you will ever teach it. Your job is to get it out within each of your boundaries. You will learn personality traits, little signs, and you two will become one. Robots cant do that.

I couldnt imagine having someone else train my dog. It would be like having someone else train my wife. It just aint right. You cannot subcontract love.

Was my dog perfect? Hell no, but she was MINE and she loved me because I spent time with her. We knew what each other was thinking. The only thing that will create that bond is time TOGETHER and patience.

For reference, Water Dog is a great place to start. There are plenty of others out there.
    Chucklaw, this is the post that you need to read over and over. Every sentence is spot on.
    Get Wolter's Waterdog and spend the next 3 months taking care of your dog. If you have to kennel the dog in the next 2-3 months, keep it simple, just kennel it at a safe, secure place, forget about someone else training her for now.

Marshchicken gets it also, I can't add much else to either post but "Amen..,,,"

"That dog is your best friend. They are loyal as shit and won't ever want to let you down. You made the decision to become his owner, which means that dog should take precedence over tailgates, pussy, your frat brothers wedding or whatever else. Don't agree with me? Just wait till that dog is 12 years old and he takes one last car ride to the vet with you while you cry like a damn baby. You won't be thinking of the great usc tailgate of 2012. You'll be thinking about the special mornings you spent with that dog in a duck blind somewhere. Enjoy your time with him or her and take care of em. They're one of the few things in life that love you back no matter what......."

There is a lot of "Pro Tips" in this post. I was turned off from Ray when I got some info from people here and from other sources. I agree 1000% that the dog and you will have a relationship like no other if you train the dog yourself. You will never forget that 1st bird brought back to you. I remember Sable's 1st bird like it was yesterday. Anyone can tell you that Sable almost more important than my wife. And my wife knows it. Good luck in your training.
    Teton's Early Morning Fawn "Sable"
    Nandawishibe's Livin The Dream "Lily"
    Cedar Creek at Nandawishibe's Quack Boom Splash JH "Boomer"

There is something to be said for training the dog yourself. But nothing wrong with getting help either. It takes a lot of time and commitment either way. Figure out what will be best for you and te dog. Your supposed to enjoy it too. Ifit gets to where your constantly confused and the dog isn't making progress it's time for a little professional help. ESP if it's your first time doing this. A good trainer will train you as much as the dog

I'll add flame to the fire, because I don't personally give a damn. I am about to start calling out dog people I will. And when I do it's gonna get nasty.

Which one of you would agree with kicking a 6 week old pup?

Another one of you breed and donated a dog to DU, the Wateree Chapter that had double hip displacement.

STAY AWAY FROM RAY GODWIN!!! PERIOD. Send your dog to someone and get it TRAINED.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Be aware...very aware.