Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Webfoot Retrievers

You are going to send a 10 week old pup to have it trained... alias.....
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucklaw View Post
    Just got a female black lab and am probably going to send her to obedience school with Ray at Webfoot Retrievers of Holly Hill. Anybody heard anything bad about him. I have only heard good things. Thanks
    Says he has a female dog.

This would just really be for obedience school. With football season, weddings and other things coming up I just dont have time for the month of October. I have some really good material I was given by someone who trained their own and I have hunted with him many times and he is great, by no means a Master Hunter but he is just a great dog. I just wanted to get her started with a good base something for me to build on. Please keep the input coming.
    Says he hunted with his friend's dog (a male)

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Reading your post is like reading a Chinese newspaper. You call your dog a male in one part of a sentence. Then refer to "her" in another sentence. And your post elevates my blood pressure....sounds like some priorities need to be reexamined. It reads to me that you don't have time for a dog you are responsible for.
    Douche Bag gets panties in a wad for no apparent reason.

Thanks just read Romeo's thread from earlier this year and see what everyone is saying. I am going to train her on my own and have been working with her since I got her. Any other guys used anybody else besides Ray (who I am going to check out on my own) and Will-Do Kennels Ralph Ardis (who I will go see as well). Thanks

If you want to waste hundreds and hundreds of dollars and end up with a ruined dog . Then take him to Ray. I speak from experience. Do a search on him and become enlightened.
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HRCH Tonka's Rebel Yell MH

She is 7 weeks old right now when I want to send her to school she will be 10 weeks. Live in Charleston, have a place in Lone Star on Lake Marion.
    Do not start training at 10wks. At this age, all they need to know is "NO"

Thanks just read Romeo's thread from earlier this year and see what everyone is saying. I am going to train her on my own and have been working with her since I got her. Any other guys used anybody else besides Ray (who I am going to check out on my own) and Will-Do Kennels Ralph Ardis (who I will go see as well). Thanks
    I have my dogs with Billy Mosley at Avery Creek Retrievers in Shelby NC .
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HRCH Tonka's Rebel Yell MH

Yes, i have always trained my own dogs. Any of the good literature will give you the basics. Water dog by richard wolters will work fine. I grew up helping a pro trainer and trialed a lot after college, but am here to say that you do not have to devote your life to your dog to have a serviceable working dog. I have a 2 yr old yellow that does great despite my having 5 children and not spending near the time with her that i should've. Good luck...

I should have used better words, I am not seeking some one to train her in retrieving. I am looking for a kennel with a good reputation who will provide obedience training on top of what I am teaching her or along with me, as almost every weekend I have an out of town wedding as in not in this state have to fly to wedding, can not take her or I would absolutely take her with me. She was given to me for free kind of a spur of the moment decision to take her. Have papers on the mom the dad has papers but the owner can not find him. I am just looking for who will provide her with the best care while I can not be there to do it. This would be for obedience training and would love if they would introduce maybe some gun games for her. Thanks

listen, I sent my dog off for training. Not because I didn't have 15 mins a day, but because I knew a trainer would be better for the dog. I am thrilled with her progress and have continued her trainer since gettin her back.

However, do more research on a trainer. I spoke with several trainers before I sent mine. Some were nt interested, others acted too busy to field questions. I visited the trainer and saw him work with dogs and saw how he kept his kennel. it was 4 hours away.

I have no first hand experience with webfoot, but he was not on my long list of trainers I contacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Post was really just asking for what people had heard about Ray from Webfoot Retrievers not about the dog. Sorry for raising your blood pressure.

Ok here's what your looking for. Not what I hear but what I know, He's as big a peice of shit as there is in the dog world.
    80-20 Genaration

and I wouldn't expect a trainer to be thrilled about only taking your dog on the weekends or for only a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I should have used better words, I am not seeking some one to train her in retrieving. I am looking for a kennel with a good reputation who will provide obedience training on top of what I am teaching her or along with me, as almost every weekend I have an out of town wedding as in not in this state have to fly to wedding, can not take her or I would absolutely take her with me. She was given to me for free kind of a spur of the moment decision to take her. Have papers on the mom the dad has papers but the owner can not find him. I am just looking for who will provide her with the best care while I can not be there to do it. This would be for obedience training and would love if they would introduce maybe some gun games for her. Thanks
    I am by no means a dog trainer, so I'm hesitant to give any advice. With that said I do not think you should start any training at 10wks. Not even obedience training. I would start OB at 4 months. Others may correct me, but that seems too early and I doubt any professional trainer would accept a 10wk old pup for OB training.

Duckman#1 thanks. I am starting to get the picture about him. I appreciate it.
    Cudexter, yeah I know thats not ideal and probably some of the trainers wont even call me back, but its the cards I am dealt and I really want to train her myself.
    May be that I just kennel her for the weekends although just seems like a waste of time and money if I can pay a little more while getting her some good training.

Yeah as I have been doing more research here today I am noticing that the 4 month age range is when most begin obedience training or any training. Thanks for the response.

My prior thread about Ray was more behind the scenes. There was an awful lot of response on the thread itself but WAY more experiences and reviews were sent via PM and NONE were good!! That says a lot in itself!!!

I used Tom Dokken's retriever training book...damn good book with pictures...excellent read...starts from the time you bring the pup home till its a polished hunting mo-chine

Really puts it into "perspective" for someone who may be a lil overwhelmed with the task of training a pup for the first time
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

It it's just a couple weekends maybe a member your way will pm you and can help? I'd help if I was closer. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Chucklaw-

Anyway you can get to the Charleston Retriever Clubs club trial/training day? It is at The Clinton House Plantation in Clinton, SC....Sept 22nd.

You can meet different people from the area to get into some training groups and/or meet a few pros. It is easier to judge trainers by looking at the dogs they have trained and there will be a wide variety of people who have had their dogs trained by trainers all over.

Just a thought.
    HRCH Lemons Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemons Pinch of Longcutt "Hagen"

Appreciate it. I am leaning more towards pulling some favors and asking some friends to keep her, just hate pulling favors to end up owing favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I am by no means a dog trainer, so I'm hesitant to give any advice. With that said I do not think you should start any training at 10wks. Not even obedience training. I would start OB at 4 months. Others may correct me, but that seems too early and I doubt any professional trainer would accept a 10wk old pup for OB training.
    Do you still have on white oakleys and an American Eagle trucker hat?

Chucklaw is a good buddy of mine..

Anybody with useful info, please hook him up..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Thanks, on another note did you train your own? What did you use as a reference material? I have Evan Grahams Smart Fetch DVD and Smart Work Puppy Program. Ever heard of them?
    Train the dog yourself. You are creating a relationship.

I guess the question is "what is your goal?" Do you want a robot that can make a 500yd blind double retrieve across 14 corn fields and a river? or do you want a hunting companion that hangs on YOUR every word and would do anything to please YOU.

Training a dog is just the title given, its more about training you as the "master." That dog already knows more about hunting and retrieving than you will ever teach it. Your job is to get it out within each of your boundaries. You will learn personality traits, little signs, and you two will become one. Robots cant do that.

I couldnt imagine having someone else train my dog. It would be like having someone else train my wife. It just aint right. You cannot subcontract love.

Was my dog perfect? Hell no, but she was MINE and she loved me because I spent time with her. We knew what each other was thinking. The only thing that will create that bond is time TOGETHER and patience.

For reference, Water Dog is a great place to start. There are plenty of others out there.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud