Thread: Are preppers crazy?

Default Are preppers crazy?

Read This First Before You Decide That Preppers Are Crazy

Do you believe that preppers are a few cards short of a full deck? Do you assume that anyone that is "preparing for doomsday" does not have their elevator going all the way to the top floor? Well, you might want to read this first before you make a final decision that all preppers are crazy. The information that you are about to read shook me up a bit when I first looked it over. To be honest, I had no idea how incredibly vulnerable our economic system is to a transportation disruption. I am continually getting emails and comments on my websites asking "how to prepare" for what is coming, so when I came across this information I knew that I had to share it with all of you. Hopefully what you are about to read will motivate you to prepare like never before, and hopefully you will share this information with others.
    Originally, I was going to write an article about the rising unemployment in Europe today. Did you know that unemployment in the eurozone is now at a 15 year high? It has risen for 10 months in a row with no end in sight.
    But I have written dozens of articles about the economic crisis in Europe already. So before starting on that article I started thinking of all the "preparation" questions I have been getting lately and I went over and checked out one of my favorite preparation websites: shtfplan.com.
    Well, an article had just been posted over there about a report put out by the American Trucker Associations entitled "When Trucks Stop, America Stops".
    I went and found that original report and I was stunned as I read it.
    The truth is that our "just in time" inventory and delivery systems leave us incredibly vulnerable to a nationwide disaster.
    You see, it is very expensive to hold and store inventory, so most manufacturers and retailers rely on a continual flow of deliveries that are scheduled to arrive "just in time", and this significantly reduces their operating expenses.
    This is considered to be good business practice for manufacturers and retailers, but it also means that if there was a major nationwide transportation disruption that our economic system would grind to a halt almost immediately.
    Once store shelves are picked clean, they would not be able to be replenished until trucks could get back on the road. In the event of a major nationwide disaster, that could be quite a while.
    So what could potentially cause a nationwide transportation shutdown?
    Well, it is easy to imagine a lot of potential scenarios - a volcanic eruption, a historic earthquake, an EMP attack, a solar megastorm, a war, a major terror attack, an asteroid strike, a killer pandemic, mass rioting in U.S. cities, or even martial law.
    If something caused the trucks to stop running, life in America would immediately start changing.
    So exactly what would that look like?
    The following is an excerpt from the report mentioned above put out by the American Trucker Associations entitled "When Trucks Stop, America Stops"....
    A Timeline Showing the Deterioration of Major Industries Following a Truck Stoppage
    The first 24 hours
    • Delivery of medical supplies to the affected area will cease.
    • Hospitals will run out of basic supplies such as syringes and catheters within hours. Radiopharmaceuticals will deteriorate and become unusable.
    • Service stations will begin to run out of fuel.
    • Manufacturers using just-in-time manufacturing will develop component shortages.
    • U.S. mail and other package delivery will cease.
    Within one day
    • Food shortages will begin to develop.
    • Automobile fuel availability and delivery will dwindle, leading to skyrocketing prices and long lines at the gas pumps.
    • Without manufacturing components and trucks for product delivery,
    assembly lines will shut down, putting thousands out of work.
    Within two to three days
    • Food shortages will escalate, especially in the face of hoarding and consumer panic.
    • Supplies of essentials—such as bottled water, powdered milk, and
    canned meat—at major retailers will disappear.
    • ATMs will run out of cash and banks will be unable to process
    transactions.
    • Service stations will completely run out of fuel for autos and trucks.
    • Garbage will start piling up in urban and suburban areas.
    • Container ships will sit idle in ports and rail transport will be disrupted, eventually coming to a standstill.
    Within a week
    • Automobile travel will cease due to the lack of fuel. Without autos and busses, many people will not be able to get to work, shop for groceries, or access medical care.
    • Hospitals will begin to exhaust oxygen supplies.
    Within two weeks
    • The nation’s clean water supply will begin to run dry.
    Within four weeks
    • The nation will exhaust its clean water supply and water will be safe for drinking only after boiling. As a result gastrointestinal illnesses will increase, further taxing an already weakened health care system.
    This timeline presents only the primary effects of a freeze on truck travel. Secondary effects must be considered as well, such as inability to maintain telecommunications service, reduced law enforcement, increased crime, increased illness and injury, higher death rates, and likely, civil unrest.

Default are preppers crazy?

yes.

Months prior to 12/31/1999: Are Y2K preppers crazy? same answer still stands.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

but yet the country still welcomes just about any person from any country citizenship and rights to our country. an overpopulated, super liberal country in the future scares me.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by 1overthelimit View Post
    Are preppers crazy?
    Nope. They are probably the smartest people around. If they are crazy so is the Boy Scouts of America, the military, police, the Confederacy, the founding fathers, the Mennonites, Christians, anyone who buys insurance of any kind and everyone who owns a gun for defense.

They are simply being prepared for what might come by stocking up on staples and emergency supplies. They are no more crazy than anyone who goes to the grocery store each week to buy food for the coming week. The difference is, they buy food for a few months or more. Everything they stock up on can and will be used if something bad never this way cometh.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

You can get carried away with anything so it depends on the person. I read on a forum last year where one guy had 400lbs of rice vacuum sealed in his closet. To me that is carrying it to the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    You can get carried away with anything so it depends on the person. I read on a forum last year where one guy had 400lbs of rice vacuum sealed in his closet. To me that is carrying it to the extreme.
    You will wish he were your neighbor if the SHTF.

Ammo, alcohol, water, gas, food. Maybe not in that order, but it is smart to be on standby.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I get the whole "prepper thing', but i chose not to be so paranoid about the possible problems. Accidents/disasters could happen at any time and under any circumstance. History has shown that people get knocked down and then get back up. Also, most disasters only affect one area (Katrina or trade towers attack) so the other areas are there to help, again history has shown this. Unless aliens come down and attack the whole world at one time then I think whatever might happen we will be able to survive.

Now, for you who think a massive solar flare is going to end everything, then we all will be dead and it will not matter how much rice or water you have.

Y2K was a different animal. I believe a massive depression is coming. In the Great depression, more areas were rural. Hence the phrase, "we were so poor that we couldn't tell". Now this country is suburbia and people don't have access to food and things. How many people actually own a house and not slave to the bank? Back then people owned homes and didn't finance. Take away food and shelter and watch the show. People will beg for government intervention and we "will owe our soul to the company store". I don't think our children will have the means or ability to create wealth. They will maintain, but not grow wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Y2K was a different animal. I believe a massive depression is coming. In the Great depression, more areas were rural. Hence the phrase, "we were so poor that we couldn't tell". Now this country is suburbia and people don't have access to food and things. How many people actually own a house and not slave to the bank? Back then people owned homes and didn't finance. Take away food and shelter and watch the show. People will beg for government intervention and we "will owe our soul to the company store". I don't think our children will have the means or ability to create wealth. They will maintain, but not grow wealth.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the major reasons of the great depression people buying things on credit?

Some did, but I don't think it was a major reason. The stock market crash of 1929, Dust Bowl, and some foriegn policies were the major contributors. Ask people that went through it what it was like. Ask them how were homes purchased and availabilty of credit.
    I would like to know what the ratios of pay to debt was back then as opposed to now.

What most don't realize is there can be a "run" on any bank at any time. Meaning that if all of Bank ABC's customers show up at the front door and demand their money the bank will fail, due to rapid decrease in liquidity. This is part of what happen during the Great Depression. This can also happen in any store or fuel supply (they will not fail, as is banking terms, but will run out of supply and cause a panic). Since then the banking industry has rules that protect the consumer/depositor from such possible loss (FDIC insurance). Fast forward to today, to my knowledge, nobody has lost all their deposits due to a bank failing, even though there has been many bank failures the past few years. This fact alone is a BIG difference between 1929 and 2008-201?.

The Great Depression wasn't a crisis of confidence in the world's reserve currency.

It does not take a large stretch of the imagination to believe we will see runaway inflation of the USD one day and major US banks will fail.

The US Govt, through FDIC insurance, will be forced to print trillions of new dollars overnight to shore up depositors - further fanning the flames of runaway inflation.

FDIC insurance is no savior in the major problem we face.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 09-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.

debatable, but i will give you that one, so TRUE

we have seen high inflation in the past late 70s early 80s, and a major US bank has already failed

the FDIC insurance fund has already had to do that and now all the banks in the system are repaying the fund through major increases in fees they pay to FDIC, also increase insurance protection from 100K to 250K

So, most of the issue you point out have already happen and we are still here!

Depends on what you're prepping for. During the great depression there weren't near as many welfare dependents as there are today that would kill you and your children for a mouthful of your food because most of them wouldn't THINK of putting any actual effort into sustaining themselves. It could be weather,a financial crisis,or even a temporary food shortage but you can bet ol' welfare Willy is not about to think about suffering . He's gonna load his ak and go out looking for the least defended person with any amount of provisions to rob. It don't have to be the end of the world for the feces to strike the wind machine, just let the gubment stop helping those who won't help themselves.

It doesn't hurt to put some back; universal currency, some freeze dried food, water, ammo, TP, tequila, iodine tabs, water purification... most of it you can use for camping and/or lasts forever and doesn't cost much.

FHF, 16 trillion and no budget in 3 years. Romney will not get rid of Obama-Care, so no matter what it will cost the American tax-payer more. No free lunch.
    If a government has the ability to print money and it is not backed by anything, it begs the question "what is money". Essentially, that system is flawed if there is no way to fail. Largest debtor nation in the history of the world, but we are still here.
    How are currencies weighted against each other? Conversions, how are the decided? I can see the federal reserve pushing for a one world currency. When does the world currency become something other than the USD? And what does that mean to us?