Thread: 7 people who gave up on civilization to live in the wild

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 7 people who gave up on civilization to live in the wild

7 people who gave up on civilization to live in the wild

Becoming one with nature - Sometimes the weight of civilization can be overwhelming. The fast pace ... the burdens of relationships ... the political strife ... the technological complexity — it's enough to make you dream of escaping to a simpler life more in touch with nature. For most that dream translates into an occasional weekend camping trip, but there are some people — critics of civilization, activists, spiritualists or mere free spirits — who have taken the idea to the extreme. Some call them naive or radical, but others consider them inspirational. You decide: here are 7 individuals who gave up on civilization to live in the wild.

Christopher McCandless

Best known from Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild," and the Sean Penn-directed movie of the same name, Christopher McCandless (who renamed himself "Alexander Supertramp") was an American itinerant who dreamed of an Alaskan Odyssey in which he would live off the land, far from civilization. Though he was well-educated, his upper-middle class background and academic success only fueled his contempt for what he saw as the empty materialism of society. Tragically, after living out his adventure for 113 days in the Alaskan wilderness, McCandless succumbed to starvation in late August 1992.

Timothy Treadwell

Tim Treadwell was an environmentalist, amateur naturalist, eco-warrior and documentary filmmaker who lived among the grizzly bears of Katmai National Park in Alaska. Despite living among the bears without any protection for 13 summers in a row, by the end of the last summer his luck had finally run out as he and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, were killed and eaten by a bear. Though some found his idealism naive, Treadwell fought to protect the habitat he loved through his activism and filmmaking. His story was immortalized in the documentary film "Grizzly Man."

Henry David Thoreau

Thoreau was a famous American author, naturalist, philosopher and development critic best known for his book "Walden," in which he reflected upon a period of isolation spent living independently in a cabin beside Walden Pond in Massachusetts. Although Thoreau returned to civilization after his time at Walden, his purpose there was to isolate himself from society to gain a more objective understanding of it. The work is recognized as a personal declaration of independence, a voyage of spiritual discovery and manual for self reliance.

Ted Kaczynski

Also known as the infamous Unabomber, Kaczynski is a primitivist who took his criticisms of civilization and technology to the extreme. Although he had a promising academic career, he eventually quit his professorship at the University of California at Berkeley to live in a remote cabin without running water or electricity in the wilds of Montana. There, Kaczynski began his bombing campaign, sending 16 bombs to targets including universities and airlines, killing three people and injuring 23. The rationale for his actions are outlined in his manifesto, titled Industrial Society and Its Future. He is serving life without parole in a federal prison.

Noah John Rondeau

Rondeau was a well-known hermit who evaded society in the high peaks of the Adirondack Mountains in New York. Before retiring to his remote wilderness home at the age of 46, Rondeau had said that he was "not well-satisfied with the world and its trends." Although he remained mostly isolated, Rondeau would occasionally accept visitors to his hermitage, and even performed the violin for them. Unfortunately, he was forced to move from his home in the Adirondacks and eventually died in 1967 while on welfare.

Paul Gauguin

Paul Gauguin was a leading Post-Impressionist artist, painter and writer known for his primitivist style and philosophy. In 1891, frustrated by lack of recognition at home and financially destitute, he decided to sail to the tropics to escape European civilization and "everything that is artificial and conventional." He spent his remaining years living in Tahiti and the Marquesas Islands, where he sided with the natives and clashed with colonial forces. His works of that period are full of exoticized views of the inhabitants of Polynesia.

The Desert Fathers

Escaping the impiety of civilization for the spiritual purity of nature has been a major motivation for monks and zealots of various creeds and religions throughout history as they search for God or enlightenment. One example of this were the "Desert Fathers," Christian hermits of the third century who abandoned the cities of the "pagan world" to live in solitude in the desert of Egypt. Among the best known of the Desert Fathers was Anthony the Great, who was the first known ascetic to go directly into the wilderness, a geographical shift that seems to have contributed to his renown.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie, you forgot one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Also, this guy wasn't actually bat shit crazy. I saw a documentary on him, it was amazing how skilled this guy was. He could fabricate anything he needed from stuff he salvaged or what was naturally available. Check it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7jxFbscIJY[/ame]

I have seen the documentary on Dick Proenneke a few times on pbs. It is pretty awesome what this guy did out there on his own.

Tim Treadwell, really. That stupid son of a bitch.

Gracious.. Hell I damn near cheered for the bear because of his lack of understanding how nature works... As Rudy Mancke would say he got recycled.

the caption below timothy treadwell says that he and his girlfriend were eaten by a bear. anyone that heard that guy talk knows thats a damn lie. hes as straight as richard simmons, or was i should say
    Last edited by everlast; 08-06-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Thoreau was a homo as well. And his writing is unfuckingreadable dreck.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    the caption below timothy treadwell says that he and his girlfriend were eaten by a bear. anyone that heard that guy talk knows thats a damn lie. hes as straight as richard simmons, or was i should say
    Watched the documentary, he was a little light in the loafers. Surprised the bear didn't spit him out. Sucks he got the girl killed.

G

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    No shit. They had the cap on the camera while they were eaten alive... I don't rekon I would like to hear it, but I would have liked to thump him in the forehead and say "I told you so". He was the epitome of lost in the wild.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Mergie, you forgot one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Also, this guy wasn't actually bat shit crazy. I saw a documentary on him, it was amazing how skilled this guy was. He could fabricate anything he needed from stuff he salvaged or what was naturally available. Check it out.
    I saw the documentary on that guy. Pretty amazing.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I have the Proenneke video in my classroom. Pretty amazing to watch him build that cabin.

Start at 2:55

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLB2OPtPFM[/ame]
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013