Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much pickled okra is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post

the mexicans were selling it for 20 a bushel but it was all the size of a banana. what the hell do you do with an okra that big?
    Make some giant okra pickles. I took all the big ones off my friends sorting table and made some jam up ones. As long as they are still tender they will be just fine. Big okra does not equal bad okra.

My problem with pickling whole jalapeno's is keeping them crisp. They seem to all be mush when I make them. Usually just slice them up and being mushy isn't really a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by phfelkel View Post
    My problem with pickling whole jalapeno's is keeping them crisp. They seem to all be mush when I make them. Usually just slice them up and being mushy isn't really a problem.
    Use this, all the vegetables we can are very crisp even the jap's. IMO the whole boil to seal procedure softens vegetables to much, especially the ones you want crisp.

Quick way to pickle anything

This is for a quart and the way we do it.

Quart Jar
    Tablespoon Salt
    Tablespoon or so of Minced Garlic ( take your cloves and mince)
    Pack Jar
    Boil Vinegar
    Pour in
    Lid on jar
    Flip jar to seal, once sealed lid shouldn’t pop.

We do jalapeños,green tomatoes, okra, pickles etc like this. Longer they sit the better they get. You can throw a couple jalapeños in there with the okra for some heat if you like.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

There are days that I can eat pickled okra until I get the diarrhea. Don't know if it's possible, but I feel like I could give it a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Use this, all the vegetables we can are very crisp even the jap's. IMO the whole boil to seal procedure softens vegetables to much, especially the ones you want crisp.

Quick way to pickle anything

This is for a quart and the way we do it.

Quart Jar
    Tablespoon Salt
    Tablespoon or so of Minced Garlic ( take your cloves and mince)
    Pack Jar
    Boil Vinegar
    Pour in
    Lid on jar
    Flip jar to seal, once sealed lid shouldn’t pop.

We do jalapeños,green tomatoes, okra, pickles etc like this. Longer they sit the better they get. You can throw a couple jalapeños in there with the okra for some heat if you like.
    I do the same as Ricky, but add equal part of sugar as salt. Also I add crushed red pepper to everything I pickle.