Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Stained Concrete Floors

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default DIY Stained Concrete Floors

I was looking in another forum and there was a post by a guy who said him and his brother decided to stain the concrete floors in one of them house. He posted an album of before and after pictures. I had no idea you could do this with concrete. I swear it looks like marble or something. Much prettier than hardwood or carpet in my opinion.

He said the prep work was the hardest part, all the taping and stuff like that. It was their first time doing this so they just did the research, mostly online. He also said it was a lot of work but mostly it was just patience, taking their time and making sure they did everything right.

Maintenance/Upkeep according to him is simply mopping on a coat of wax in high traffic areas every 6 months or so.

Here's the pictures with a few of before and and some in-progess pic.

▬ ▬ Before ▬ ▬

▬ ▬ After ▬ ▬

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Now with the furniture back in the house:

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I might just go in my basement, where I have a room with a bare concrete floor, and section the floor off into 10 or 12 sections and practice doing this with all kinds of designs. Then when I get confident go out and make some extra money doing it for folks that want their floors done.

A lot of people have concrete floors in their basements and carport/garage bonus rooms. You could really spice up a game room or basement guest room with this.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 06-13-2012 at 01:14 AM.

that looks pretty sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

It looks almost like marble or granite floors.

I honestly didn't know you could do that with plain concrete. I'm telling you if a man practiced this a little and showed some brochures or pictures of his work he could make some money doing this for people. I'm seriously thinking about it. I need to do some research.

One cool thing, Merg, is you aren't limited to straight lines. I have seen plenty where the floor looks like it was made of large flat rough edged stones with a grout in between. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    One cool thing, Merg, is you aren't limited to straight lines. I have seen plenty where the floor looks like it was made of large flat rough edged stones with a grout in between. The possibilities are endless.
    Cool. So you've seen this before?

The Wal-Mart here is all stained concrete floors. No designs like they did, but it actually looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

..all that time they spent on the floors, they could at least adjust the rear legs on that dishwasher. Merg a lot of the newer restaurants and stores around cola are doing an etched and stained concrete..most people wont notice or think its something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Cool. So you've seen this before?
    Time and time again. Never seen one that I haven't liked either. It's definitely one of the newer trends, especially for the residential market. Restaurants do it all the time. (Easy to clean, won't break like tile, I believe the overall cost is much cheaper as well.)

When I was building houses, there were a few houses that we did that homeowners had their basement concrete stained. ( I will tell you thought, these were $500k plus homes and that was the only place you'd find concrete in those houses, other than the garage.)

You could make a killing in the sub divisions where the houses are built on slabs though.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    ..all that time they spent on the floors, they could at least adjust the rear legs on that dishwasher. Merg a lot of the newer restaurants and stores around cola are doing an etched and stained concrete..most people wont notice or think its something else.

X2

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    You could make a killing in the sub divisions where the houses are built on slabs though.
    That's what I was thinking too.

There ain't as many of those kind of houses up here as there are in the lower parts of the state. I don't know why that is, but the majority of houses up this way the floors or on studs or crossbeams, whatever you'd call it. They have crawl spaces under the houses.

A lot of it has to do with the lay of the land. Down in the Lexington/Columbia area, they are tons of them. In my area of the upstate where it's much more hilly, there are some subdivisions with slabs but the greater majority are built on a foundation.

I'm in Greenwood and that's the way it is here too. I know down in places like South Georgia and Florida almost all of the newer houses are on slabs.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    ..all that time they spent on the floors, they could at least adjust the rear legs on that dishwasher.

They said it was their parent's house.

Merg a lot of the newer restaurants and stores around cola are doing an etched and stained concrete..most people wont notice or think its something else.
    I guess I just haven't been paying attention. It looks like it could be marble or granite or something. I wouldn't have thought it was just concrete had I not read that thread on the other forum.

Have you done any or seen any being done?

Wheres the pics?
    Non Supporting Member

What forum did you find that on? We were looking at doing that to our house and that was the best looking job I've seen

In the higher end neighborhoods in my area, many folks are doing their concrete driveways like this too. There's certainly some money to be made in it.

Mergie...We have some friends (in your neck of the woods) on Lake Greenwood that stained the concrete when they finished their basement. It looks sharp.

Man, I wish I had some concrete floors in my house.

My wife and I had this done to our finished basement that is my office/man cave. It looks great and was very inexpensive.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands