Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welding Help?

Anyone know a good place to buy steel near Charleston? I've heard Atlantic Coast Steel but also heard they've gone out of business.

Before I would invest a lot of $$$ into a welding machine go out to a local community college and take a Con - Ed class, you'll learn a lot from it and it will cost you a lot less. Most Con -Ed classes are offered on evenings to allow working folks a chance to attend

Mig is easy,arc is easy but tig welding aluminum not so easy but can do it! Its just got to be clean...good luck!!! Welding will open a new world for u......with practice you`ll love it!!!!

Op- How does welding go over at your apartment complex??

You run gas with the LE that you picked up?

PM me if you'd like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I've been wanting to do the same thing and have done a bit of research. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is I hadn't had time to get 220 to my barn. Northern has a Hobart kit that comes with the spool gun im wanting to say its the 190 but not sure. Whole kit is like 800 bucks. That was the route I was going to go.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I've been welding now for two years with a shitty harbor freight flux core, that finally shit out.

Thinking about picking up a Hobart 140 mig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I am about to list the rig you boys want in the trading post. I bought it just to build my pig cooker and it is now finished. ******* 140HD Weldpak Nascar Series w/ gas bottle looks like new. Complete ready to weld. MIG w/ Flux or solid wire, I welded 1/4 stuff with no problem also. I will list it in a few days as soon as I get time to take pics. 110V
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.

This guy welded the adaptor on my old Yamaha so I could mount the extra muffler. He seemed to know what he was about.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I have NO desire to tackle welding aluminum... at least at the point.

I'm interested in at least starting with stuff as stout as 0.125" thick steel angle.
    Research a ******* cracker box welder. I think it will do what you want to do and using standard 120V outlet. Pick up some 1/8" 6011 rods and go to town.

Apparently *******=the last name of our16th. president.
    Last edited by bayou pirate; 10-01-2014 at 08:37 PM.