Thread: Short Fihing Trip......

Default Short Fihing Trip......

......on Tuesday.Got there late and the wind/storms blew me off in 30 minutes.

I'm also having trouble with these frog baits keeping them hooked.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou0ScOQorE0&feature=player_detailpage&list =ULou0ScOQorE0[/ame]

I am no expert by any means, but it could be the line. Is it mono or flo carbon? I always use braid and it may have something to do with the line stretch when the fish start jumping. Or it could just be one of those things and next week you wont lose any

You definitely need braid with as much cover as I see there, especially on a frog. After they eat it, wait and second, reel in the slack and set the hook.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

For one thing you need to tighten your drag. When you set the hook on that last fish I heard your drag scream. It probably slipped before the hook ever got a good bite. In that kind of cover I always keep my drag almost locked down so I can horse a fish through the cover. If your drag has to be set as loose as yours was you need heavier line. Just my 2 cents and how I do it.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Learn how to fish ole man, lessons are free, you bring the beer.

Spinning rod with braid, keep your rod tip down, feel the fish once he hits, and sink it in him. You need to have the hook, just in the plastic, where it can poke free.

Frogs rock, and I make em look good.

When they short strike alot, go tandem on dat ass, black in da back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post

keep your rod tip down

What he said
    "A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset." -Nash Buckingham

:turban:

Hook: Bass pro shops ewg magnum hook (4/0) the extra diameter of the hook helps keep the frog from slipping down and keeps it running fairly true. And if you get a 4/0 hook buried in his mouth (not his lip) thats money in the bank on most occasions.

Line: Power Pro 65lb braid. Very easy to throw and holds up well in cover.

Rod: Something with a medium fast tip and alot of backbone.

I'm far from any professional fisherman though thats just the setup i use and it seems to put fish in the boat.
    Last edited by duckcommander60; 04-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    "A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset." -Nash Buckingham

:turban:

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I just can't stand braid. The best line I have ever used is the World Wide Sportsman camo line from bass pro. That is what is on all my saltwater and freshwater rods. It does not stretch that much and I rarely lose fish.

I got a fishing lesson from Artsmellslikefish today. Braid and a stiffer rod was the ticket for the frog bite. We smoked the fish, but not as big as I've been catching(nothing over 5 lbs). Jess gave me a fishing lesson today,......he caught way more than I did. He was catching fish on stuff I never even heard of. We stopped counting after 40.

I need a bigger boat,........to carry all his rods(6).
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-14-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonHead View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one but I just can't stand braid. The best line I have ever used is the World Wide Sportsman camo line from bass pro. That is what is on all my saltwater and freshwater rods. It does not stretch that much and I rarely lose fish.
    Give Power Pro a shot. You cant beat it. Casts a mile with a frog, t-rig, or weightless senko.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I got a fishing lesson from Artsmellslikefish today. Braid and a stiffer rod was the ticket for the frog bite. We smoked the fish, but not as big as I've been catching(nothing over 5 lbs). Jess gave me a fishing lesson today,......he caught way more than I did. He was catching fish on stuff I never even heard of. We stopped counting after 40.

I need a bigger boat,........to carry all his rods(6).
    Thats awesome.Jess is good people (most of the time)

I am sure he was throwing a bait caster.....