Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tree ID Help Needed...

what kind of pics do i need to take to prove you wrong? or me wrong for that matter?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Sweet gum or persimmon. But I'm going with sweet gum because there's a dried up sweet gum leaf on the ground beside it.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I would say Sweet Gum. Looking at the pic the only leaves I can make out are Sweetgum and Southeren Red Oak.
    This...
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Poplar

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    what kind of pics do i need to take to prove you wrong? or me wrong for that matter?
    You're not going to prove me wrong no matter what kinda pic you take!
    I am sure you know one from the other but your pics are mixed up, especially after I just sat at the 17" screen and looked at these.
    You got a bonifide tree professional telling you what you think is a hickory is actually a sweetgum and vice versa.....you got em backwards boss, fact!
    Boys, it's not a sweetgum....hickory or ash.....sourwood has a similar bark appearance as well.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Elm?

or ulumus alata.....to the edumicated?

negative
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

American Basswood... it was near a swamp.

Last edited by XHailGC; 03-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.

xhail, you are really spending too much time on this. haha

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    xhail, you are really spending too much time on this. haha

I'm not the one going home tonight to take pictures. LOL

i got shit to prove....

Green Ash.............CASE CLOSED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Finally another professional chimes in...thanks Corley

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    American Basswood... it was near a swamp.

FYI, in south carolina basswood grows in the fertile coves of the piedmont foot hills and mountains..... Keep reaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    FYI, in south carolina basswood grows in the fertile coves of the piedmont foot hills and mountains..... Keep reaching!

WoodieSC is in Anderson, and this was beside his wood duck box, chewed down by a beaver.

Fertile cove: Check!
    Piedmont foot hill: Check!

To my uneducated eye, it looks to be a gum...but I will gladly take a pro's opinion over mine.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I have very little knowledge of basswood and I will say it is a possibility.... Basswood is however in south carolina not a common tree
    no gum around here

Alright Woodie, let's narrow it down..... Growing in the floodplain or well drained slope?

Still say gum

Ignorance?