Thread: Conservation?

As a hunter, I've long struggled with thoughts of conservation versus land owners rights. I think conservation on some level is a good thing. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn. I don't like to see the development of "natural" areas, but also think that the land owner can do what they want. I’m curious to see what others think.

SCTIMBER Coots

Its basically up to the landowner whether or not they want to conserve any of their land or not.

Property rights outway whatever another individual thinks someone should or should not do on their property. My .02 anyway

Had a discussion with someone a while back, I worked with a hardwood shovel crew for a little over a year and we bought nothing but swamp timber. The guy I was talking to was hassling me about ruining all the habitat for the ducks, etc. I gotta make a living and that was my job. I was just meeting the contract requirements between the landowner and my company. To be totally honest though it never bothered me one bit conservation wise because of all the tracts we bought and harvested, there were just as many out there that couldn't be cut (not enough timber per acre for the logger to make time in) How many of these places were ever hunted, heck I don't know. Not enough to endanger any waterfowl populations I assure you.

Most dangerous thing that can happen to a piece of land this day in time is developments, but again its the landowners choice and you don't have a right in my opinion to stick your nose in it unless you have the money to buy it yourself. Again just my .02 Everyone has to make a living!

Those things are true. But remember that your property rights only go as far as the extent to which they don't burden others. We all pay for development in the forms of rising property taxes. How do you think property taxes in Atlanta compare to those in Barnwell County? Residential development is one of the most subsidized industries on earth. The way I see it, if your hand is in my pocket, don't pretend like you have the right to do it.