Thread: ND duck numbers

N.D. waterfowl numbers unchanged from last week

This weekend marks the first chance for nonresident hunters to take part in the 2004 North Dakota waterfowl season, but there aren't many new birds in the state. According to the weekly report from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, very few migrants have arrived, but there hasn't been enough cold weather to force local ducks and geese out. In addition, good weather has allowed farmers to make some progress in harvesting, which should open up more areas to hunters.

Here's a closer look at waterfowl numbers around the state:

• Devils Lake area: Northeastern North Dakota remains one of the brightest spots for waterfowl hunters. Cami Dixon of the Devils Lake Wetland Management District says it's mostly local birds so far, but the area had a good hatch, and wetland conditions are good. She notes that Benson and Nelson county hunters have been successful, but the area north of Lake Alice has good numbers of Canada geese, mallards, gadwall and sandhill cranes, as well as some early snow geese.

• Valley City area: Hunter pressure has been light. Kory Richardson of the Valley City Wetland Management District says he has not seen any large groups of birds, and the crop harvest remains behind schedule.

• North-central: Some locations are reporting good numbers of mallards. Biologist Gary Eslinger of J. Clark Salyer National Wildlife Refuge says about 5,000 snow geese have been observed in small flocks throughout the district, and about 10,000 lesser Canada geese. In addition, he reports a good population of local Canada geese. Fair numbers of diving ducks have been spotted in the southern and eastern portions of the district, but hunters will need to scout to find them.

• Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge near Pingree, N.D.: About 4,500 Canada geese and 20,000 ducks were reported early this week. Biologist Paulette Scherr says more than half the ducks were mallards, with quite a few gadwall and shovelers and some pintails and green-winged teal. In Foster County, she found few Canada geese and only about 4,000 ducks. Again, most of the ducks were mallards. Scherr notes that some mallard drakes still aren't fully colored.

• Southeast: Harvested wheat fields in southeastern North Dakota provided good hunting opening weekend. Jesse Lisburg of Tewaukon National Wildlife Refuge says a few more Canada geese have moved onto the refuge, but no snow geese have arrived. He adds that the soybean harvest has started, and that could spread waterfowl into new areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isnt there a cold front on the way? Im wondering if it will make a diffence.
    Its a Sad Situation!!!

I don't know when any of you guys are going, but my Dad is flying up today with a group and coming back next Tuesday night. I'll post a report for anyone interested when I hear from him. I know they are flying into Minot, but am not sure exactly where they are hunting.
    SCMallard

I'm leaving on the 15th be there late on the 16th to do some scouting start shooting on the 17th. Waterfowl in the morning then upland in the afternoon. I get to work both my dogs. Can't wait. The ranch we are hunting will have nothing shot on it till we get there. The rancher called me last week and say's they have a butt load of ducks.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Going the end of the month and cant wait. Three days of nonstop hunting cant wait, my trigger finger is really intching for the chance.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?