Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyway Foundation News from the Great Lakes

We have received preliminary results from our focus area hen house projects as the first round checks are winding down. Results are better than expected with the extremely late cold temperatures in the Great Lakes area and our partners, not to mention the Flyway Foundation is very encouraged by this feedback. The hatch is running about ten days behind last year.

In Pennsylvania, the henhouse utilization rate for mallards is up. They have already recorded usage rates as high as all of last year. We have experienced some nest abandoment(approx 5 nests) due to egg freezing during the laying period. There has been a noticable effort to renest in the hh in adjacent wetlands. The biologists have been actively capturing nesting hens and banding them. They have recaptured all banded hens from last year in our hen houses, verifying they are returning to the same nesting sites. We find this very encouraging that 100% of the hens that used hen houses last year have returned!!
    There have already been 5 mallard broods hatched, captured, and web tagged. Every wetland which the Pennsylvania Game Commission has placed hh's in has experienced utilization. We are also experiencing a fair amount of wooduck utilization similar to last year.
    The reports from Ontario seem to mirror Pennsylvania. Utilization is up there as well.

You may remember , we have a new project in Southeastern Michigan. We chose this area based on satelite tracking data furnished by Walt Rhodes with the SCDNR.

Preliminary results in those wetlands from the Michigan DNR biologists ,report henhouse(mallard) utilization rates over 70% in some marshes. This is with 20% of the henhouses being checked. Keep your fingers crossed for the remainder of the 1st round checks which are being completed now. Our partners on the Michigan project are very pleased with the tripod mount for the henhouses. They like the mobility and ease of installation with this model.

We should have the exact figures in on the 1st round checks shortly, but we wanted to pass on some early positive data.

Very exciting news that has invigorated our commitment!!

Wonderful news! I hope the good numbers continue to improve....great things you guys are doing! [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    The Tiger who does not prowl is a potential rug.

all mallard hens returned.

all wetlands showing usage.

70+% usage in early checks in michigan.

--incredible, Bunn. Nice work.--

guys and gals--look for updates on a workday in Columbia in late June. We have houses to make!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

[img]graemlins/headbanger.gif[/img]
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Great News Guys! Keep us posted on results and upcoming workdays.

booyah

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Great news!!!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Look at that house in the pic, just shameful! Ain't made wuff a damn! I bet Toofer made that one!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Yep. That's an old picture.

Made a looooooong time ago. 'Round about the time you were actually helping.... [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Now that's just plain awesome!

2th, Candor, others....
    Are any of those synthetics going in this year?

Hell I have to be there every time as ya'll basturds would do a half-ass job. Cat used to be able to manage the event but he's getting up in years! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Yeah! Lab makes a good stupidvisor! He just ain't good for nothing else! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I forgot one important point. Even though this area is full of skunks,raccoons,minks,and egg eating snakes, so far we have had ZERO,NONE,NADA predation on our henhouses.

Great news!

Originally posted by Catdaddy:
    I forgot one important point. Even though this area is full of skunks,raccoons,minks,and egg eating snakes, so far we have had ZERO,NONE,NADA predation on our henhouses.
    And that is what it is ALL about! Any calculations on how many henhouses will need to be placed in the nesting grounds to increase the fall flight enough to help us out?

Better stay out of this one JAB, next thing you know you will be accused of implanting some type of 2 Rivers homing becon in these ducks. Especially since you stole all the other ducks.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

He told me he just borrowed them and that we could have them back whenever we needed them.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

This is great news! Good job FF! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

how cool would it be to track all the hens that returned to the hen houses this year to see exactly where they are going?

answer: very cool.

y'all send money.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th, could this be another project in the making? Radio tracking?
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami