Thread: Glen

Default Glen

Post up your recipe for that Chicken/butternut soup.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

Will do. Tater and I have been tweaking this thing but here is the latest version I've landed on.

Chicken/butternut squish soup...

Two packs of boneless/skinless chicken thighs (chicken breast sucks ass and has no place in anyone's diet)
    One medium/large butternut squash
    One large sweet onion
    One can of FULL fat coconut milk
    S/P
    Minced garlic

Preheat oven to 375 and toss in your squash for an hour to hour and a half dependign on size of squash. It is done when a knife pushes through it easily and the skin starts to bubble.

Berl your chicken thighs with just enough water to keep 'em covered till done. Reduce heat to low, remove thighs and chop/shred them into pieces and put back into stock.

Add one large diced sweet onion and a tbsp or so of minced garlic. S/P to taste.

When squish is done remove, peel and cut it into 1/2" to 1" cubes or so. Put that into stock.

At this point I usually pull out 2-4 cups, depending, of the stock and set aside. Add 1 can of full fat coconut milk.

Bring back to a boil, stirring often, and let it roll for a minute or two. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 min to a half hour, stirring often.

If it seems like it will be too thick you can add some of the stock back in. It will thicken as the squash "breaks" up as it cooks down, kind of like potato soup will.

Bowl it up and enjoy!

Just in time--I have the thights boiling now. I put the onion and thighs in the pressure cooker first (w/o top) and sauteed them first--then added water. Should be ok. Got the squash baking--but I cubed it first.

Thanks man!
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

No worries.

I just find the squash much easier to peel after baking it whole.

I also think adding in some broccoli tops at that last simmer stage for 15-20 minutes would be awesome without busying it up too much. Would add some great color as well.

And if you cubed it first you will not have to bake it as long.

Got everything in the pot now--will report back after eating. Broccoli would be a good addition.

I used a potato peeler on the squash--seemed pretty easy.

My daughter has her girl scout cookies piled up at my front door, if that helps anyone of you. I'm in a certain place of mind right now.

I feel like crying...

Lol--I am praying for you Ralph.

I'm not, I'm lol'n

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto View Post
    I used a potato peeler on the squash--seemed pretty easy.
    Well fuck me running.....damn.

I'll do you one better Highstrung...our office has about 20 cases of girl scout cookies stacked in it....asked the wife what we ordered...she said "we don't eat that stuff anymore".....I said ok "Adcock".....she gave me the ......
    Last edited by benman; 02-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Damn Yankee.....

On da stove now. Added mushrooms and celery. We'll see how it turns out.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....