Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **SCDNR letter**

No sweat. My fault for scanning.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I hope everyone doesn't let their posts on here represent the extent of their action on this subject. Petitions and discussion "behind closed doors" is virtually nothing without representative at this meeting willing to voice their opposition in person. If I'm unable to make it due to work constraints, then I wish everyone who does show up at this meeting the best of luck in representing the duck hunters of this state on a very important issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I took a letter signed by a dozen legislators including the one over their budget and it did no good.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I took a letter signed by a dozen legislators including the one over their budget and it did no good.
    By saying did no good, I can only assume that the plan was approved in its original form? If that's the case, I guess we can look forward to the barren lake bottoms that we were just starting to recover from. Anyone have some croaker sacks and some time to go night catfishing this summer?

I wish I could make it. This subject is a priority to me as well, but I just flat out cannot leave work to attend the meeting. I scanned the letter as well and misinterpreted the audience it was intended for. Sadly, property owners would probably show up in ful force to keep the lakes as devoid of vegetation as possible.

We have make our voice heard if we want any change.
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Damnit - had the meeting on my calendar as tomorrow. Missed it.

Did anyone make it? any updates?

Bogster about got beat down by the "Where's the beef" lady.

Only 1 homeowner group and about 8-9 SC Duckers.

The council was very gracious in listening and is aware that they may have screwed the pooch in the past. My gut feeling is that they will put all of the fish that they are proposing into the lakes.

I didn't stay until the end and had to get back to work.

The director was there. She even got a chuckle at bog's beat down.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I think if bog would have stayed till the end she would have beat him. She didn't like him standing behind her while he was protesting! I will have to say that was the highlight of the meeting! Just remember bogg you were not even around when the hydrilla was so thick you could walk on it! I also want to say it was nice meeting all of y'all.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I guess when I get to my mid sixties, I won't be able to remember when I was 12. That's the only logical answer I could come up with. Hydrilla didn't peak in the 80s lady, it peaked in the mid 90s.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That is great the some of you could go. Thanks

Love to hear more about Bog's beat down. Sounds like he took one for the team.

Ha!

Bog was remembering the glory days of Santee, and the, (up to that moment) polite and soft spoken 60-something lady stood up and told him, "Were you even born then" or something to that nature. The conversation was essentially reminding everyone of the flats of hydrilla that one could walk across.

Good work BOG!

Good work Bog. Thanks for the voice. Was this recorded at all?

My synopsis:

SC doesnt want to, or cant pursue effective herbicide strategies. I was quoted $500 an acre for herbicide treatments, but I have seen 2011 documentation of $318/acre. Nothing mentioned regarding cost of restocking carp compounded with additional state monies devoted to maintain a fishable/huntable population of game (arkansas blue catfish do not constitute game).

They have ignored the hydrilla pockets until they become a problem again.

Look forward to another decade of carp, mud, cormorants, habitual stocking of game fish, and further protection of the invasive arkansas blue catfish.

The homeowners and "concerned sportsmen" are a lot closer in their end goals than either think. Where the water is muddy, is how to get there.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-15-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Don't say MUD!

I wont call it a mudhole anymore, but I can always create some imagery and lead the reader to that opinion myself...all the while keeping my hands clean.