Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hog Trapping in progress

Default Hog Trapping in progress

Here's a little step by step of my hog trapping process. I have a buddy who has a serious hog problem, so I decided I was going to try and trap them for him. Here's how I started and a step by step of how and what I did.

Here is the homemade gate(I didn't make it cause I don't trust my welding skills)

I started the pen with 2X4 wire fencing to just let the hogs get used to the pen closure and the came back and reinforced them with cattle panels.

Trap was put up Jan 11 and baited on the 21st. I have a feeder in there throwing more food everyday in the evening. Hogs were on it in no time, but because the trail camera failed to get pictures to confirm how many there were useing trap I waited to set until I knew how many. Rebaited and changed camera placement.

Today

Back of the pen where I put sour corn with some diesel fuel.

The pig, trap is set now and waiting on him to return. He has been in trap everynight for the last three days, so with some fresh new corn out hopefully he will be back soon.

Camera is 2 feet off ground.
    Phillipians 4:13

Great post. Let us know what comes of it. Really like the door.

Looks good but they might be able to dig out of that.

Is it sunk in the ground at all?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Looks good but they might be able to dig out of that.

Is it sunk in the ground at all?
    It is not sunk in but the fence material is overlapping and goes out about 18inches inside the pen. So if the try to dig they would have to start way out from the actual bottom of the pen. I will see if I have a picture that shows what I'm talking about.

Don't have a better picture to show what I'm talking about, but I feel confident they can't get out by digging out underneath it.

Those are 6ft T post so they are sunk in pretty good. So there is plenty of tension/support to keep it tight and not allow them to get up under it easy if they got thought the fence material on the ground inside the pen.
    Last edited by dukhuntr; 02-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Looks great! I should have you those pictures I promised you about the time you get it all figured out yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Looks great! I should have you those pictures I promised you about the time you get it all figured out yourself...
    That's fine. I'm still learning so I'll take all the help I can

Awesome man. Cant wait to see big boy and his family put to rest!

Good idea and door but I think a big hog, given time will bust up under and out faster than Andy Dufrain did off of Shawshank Redemption, I have been wrong before. Keep us informed!
    Low country redneck who moved north

I dont plan to give them to much time. Will be checking trap very often.

This is a very cool thread, keep up with it!
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Good idea and door but I think a big hog, given time will bust up under and out faster than Andy Dufrain did off of Shawshank Redemption, I have been wrong before. Keep us informed!

I agree about a big hog busting through. Heck, I had 9 75lbs ones that bent the panels when they would ram it and believe me, they or it will ram the panel and try to get out when you approach. I was lucky to be able to use a cluster of oaks as most of my post with some additional t-post for support. Be ready to shoot when you approach. Video tape it, that would be cool. Wish I had. Like your door setup too. I have swing doors with springs made from square tubing but it is heavy as all get out. Might have to make a second one like yours. Good Luck.

Like it! Keep us updated
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

I have 6ft T posts every 4 feet and a few others spaced in there. I have found cattle panels are the best/last longer than anything else. The panels are over lapped about 2 feet and secured to the T post and the 2x4 wire fence is doubled over and run about 18 out in to the bottom of the pen. So if they get out I have no clue how you would keep them in the trap.

Time will tell hopefully the materials hold up.

Where is the trap? I'll check it for you tomorrow.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

2thdoc Senior called me one day to tell me a BIG hog was in one of the moveable traps. pretty damn solid trap. i got there 3 hours later to take care of the hog, and he was gone. sombitch had rolled the trap multiple times across the food plot and eventually busted his way thru the top. he went thru some serious welds and stell to get out.

they can be masters of escape.

If you get a big one in there you better shoot him from a distance because he will come out.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Cool. Keep updates coming

I can tell you where the trap isn't.
    Left the farm today heading back towards the lowcountry made a right off of Shannon rd onto Fairfield Hill rd and about 1/4 mile before the high fence hunt club there was a good sized sow and three or four piglets out in the middle of a field. I couldnt get the truck stopped fast enough to get a gun on them before they made it to the clear cut. This was at 1520 today.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

No it not down there but it was before I moved to to where it is now. I have land right by interstate and 97. Chuck we need to talk about where exactly you saw these pigs. I have land on Shannon road also, right near moffit(sp) store rd. give me a shout tomorrow.