Thread: 1-27 solo

Default 1-27 solo

Despite the weather I saw significantly less ducks today. Only two came within range, both of which landed right in my X and received some steel. Unfortunately, the second one I had to shoot through the grass and it was crippled. I finished the first one off and when I was trying to put another shell in the second bird got away. Both drakes.

On Wednesday, hoodies made 4 or 5 passes at the decoys and landed just past them. We didn't shoot. Then what looked like scaup made 2 passes at the decoys, but never committed. So, we were skunked.

1-27woodie_solo.jpg

Way to get after it

Yeah. You got it bad.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yea you're hooked. Good job man

salute
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Woot!
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Nice! To bad its almost over your just getting started.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Nice work this morning! Wednesday was worth the trip just to watch all those birds come in and circle right in front of us. Can't wait to get out there tomorrow

Getting after it...

Nicely done. Its gonna be a loooooooooong summer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDave View Post
    Nicely done. Its gonna be a loooooooooong summer for you.

It won't be too bad if we can get hooked on turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    It won't be too bad if we can get hooked on turkeys.

Agreed. I'm already feeling a mild depression setting in knowing that we only have 2 days left. On the other hand, April will be here before we know it. I got fired up the other day when I heard a bird gobble while standing in the swamp.

I've been seeing and hearing turkeys everywhere. I cannot wait, but I'd rather duck season not be over so soon. Next year I'm not going to wait until deer season is over to get started.

Fast learner you are young padawan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft