Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Banded Mallard

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Interesting. Is that the only bird they killed?

Banded in Michigan by Frost's.

Exactly what I was going to ask! SCWA counterpart is up in Michigan some where I beleive.

Is it a federal band or a Frost band? I know several frost bands from Michigan that were killed around here last year.
    Phillipians 4:13

Yes federal

I think it is funny to read some of you guys comments about that area. I am one of those "unsportsman pond owners" and I promise I have done more for wildlife that most of you will ever do. I have spent most of my weekends plowing, fertilizing, planting, spraying, and all the other stuff that goes into maintianing our ponds (not to mention we were the ones who made the pond, so with out us there would be no habitat for the ducks), so we have ducks. I bet most of you just show up on opening day and then complain that you don't kill anything. So, who is really the sportsman?? By the way I have killed about 3 ducks this year, spend most of the time just watching, that is what i enjoy.

I do agree with some on the "tamie ponds", ours are not. The idea of shooting ducks that will not leave the pond is stupid to me, but I am not going to judge what makes others happy. I also don't understand why someone will shoot a yearling deer, but they do and brag about it. So, to each his own.

Now you guys are saying that if a wild duck even flys into the area it is not sportsman like to shoot it. WTF. Really, a 5 mile radius, guess you can't hunt sparkleberry or anything from Jack to 601, because ALL of that area is within 5 miles of some pond.

Congrats on the band!
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

Oh yeah, forgot to add : congratulation on the young man's band. I am sure he was excited to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    I think it is funny to read some of you guys comments about that area. I am one of those "unsportsman pond owners" and I promise I have done more for wildlife that most of you will ever do. I have spent most of my weekends plowing, fertilizing, planting, spraying, and all the other stuff that goes into maintianing our ponds (not to mention we were the ones who made the pond, so with out us there would be no habitat for the ducks), so we have ducks. I bet most of you just show up on opening day and then complain that you don't kill anything. So, who is really the sportsman?? By the way I have killed about 3 ducks this year, spend most of the time just watching, that is what i enjoy.

I do agree with some on the "tamie ponds", ours are not. The idea of shooting ducks that will not leave the pond is stupid to me, but I am not going to judge what makes others happy. I also don't understand why someone will shoot a yearling deer, but they do and brag about it. So, to each his own.

Now you guys are saying that if a wild duck even flys into the area it is not sportsman like to shoot it. WTF. Really, a 5 mile radius, guess you can't hunt sparkleberry or anything from Jack to 601, because ALL of that area is within 5 miles of some pond.
    If you don't buy and shoot tame ducks then why are you coming in here all butt hurt? Without people who plant and manage for WILD ducks SC and that whole area wouldn't have shit for ducks. Period. Change your pad and unclench. This is a tamie bashing. Not an attack on people who manage for and hunt wild ducks.

And shooting a wild duck over live decoys is complete and utter bullshit. Banded or not

I dont think they are talking about all corn ponds...just corn ponds stocked with tamies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you don't buy and shoot tame ducks then why are you coming in here all butt hurt? Without people who plant and manage for WILD ducks SC and that whole area wouldn't have shit for ducks. Period. Change your pad and unclench. This is a tamie bashing. Not an attack on people who manage for and hunt wild ducks.

And shooting a wild duck over live decoys is complete and utter bullshit. Banded or not
    Exactly! Putting in the hard work and reaping the reward! That is what is it all about not this instant gratificatiion crap. Some times it pays in more than just birds, as you mention you enjoy just watching what your hard work has done for the birds, that's your reward. I don't see the reward in turning birds loose and then shooting them later, put your work in and you will be rewarded, take short cuts and the easy way out and your are not.

FHF I don' think anyone was directing the comments at you, just he folks trying to take the easy way out to shoot released birds over a pond that they were trained to fly to and from by placing corn or other foods on.
    Phillipians 4:13

Glenn, not any butt hurt here. Just making a point, that not all the ponds in that area are tamie operations, and most are holding a bunch of wild birds. I just think it is funny that people are very quick to tamie bash, but don't realize that is why they are shooting ducks. What I means is : without the ponds there would be very little food for both release and wild birds. I figure there are about 1500ac of flooded food (probably more) in that area and that is the main reason most ducks are there. I also think that because of those ponds, people on the lake have better hunting too.

So, i don't mean to sound bitchy. Actually, don't really care if i do, i just think it is funny to read.

dukhuntr, I agree. My comments were mainly because the people who jumped on the fact the someone killed a banded bird, and they are quick to discount it because of the area.

I spoke of what I have acually done for duck habitat, and wanting to imply that most other pond owners were doing the same. It did come across that I was bitching, but I was just trying to make the point that a lot of hard work goes into all the ponds.
    Last edited by FHF; 12-29-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Glenn, not any butt hurt here. Just making a point, that not all the ponds in that area are tamie operations, and most are holding a bunch of wild birds. I just think it is funny that people are very quick to tamie bash, but don't realize that is why they are shooting ducks. What I means is : without the ponds there would be very little food for both release and wild birds. I figure there are about 1500ac of flooded food (probably more) in that area and that is the main reason most ducks are there. I also think that because of those ponds, people on the lake have better hunting too.

So, i don't mean to sound bitchy. Actually, don't really care if i do, i just think it is funny to read.
    I agree with the bolded portion of your statement. But justifying the buying/shooting of tame ducks and the pollution of wild gene pools just because they plant and flood corn is complete and utter bullshit. Plant and flood all the corn you want. Please. It means more ducks on public water. But a tamie operation, no matter the food source, is just fucked up.

It's crazy how y'all bash a kid that killed a green head with a federal band on a pond that he was invited to shoot. Then like FHF said yall high five each other when folks shoot a yearling saying kill them all...

You are off base FHF.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    It's crazy how y'all bash a kid that killed a green head with a federal band on a pond that he was invited to shoot. Then like FHF said yall high five each other when folks shoot a yearling saying kill them all...
    He shot a duck over live decoys. Big woop.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You are off base FHF.
    Please explain...

Santee, I am happy the kid got him a banded bird. It is cool, but he will grow up thinking that the only way to duck hunt now is to hunt over live decoys. Take one, make one right?

Simply put, if you want to shoot released birds, hell, go shoot them. I dont have any truck with that. As a matter of fact, before certain key members of the GA got involved with SCWA, any released waterfowl had to follow the guidelines of a preserve. Again, I have no truck with preserves, because they are strictly required to not shoot any unreleased bird, and any bird has to be destroyed after "X" date so as not to pollute the genetic pool.

But to bastardize fair chase, willfully thumbing your nose at the live decoy thing, purposefully not shoot released birds so that you wont kill all of your decoys is just damned wrong. Those Sod kings down that way even had a federal over the limit case thrown out because they had receipts for the ducks they had in their strap...it is as fucked up as a soup sandwich.

Again, I got no problem with killing. How I kill is another thing entirely.

I am happy for the kid, but I hope he realizes that someone up the chain from him has a flawed thought process.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

edited by 2th bc it was in poor form
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 12-29-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

Please explain...
    It isnt about corn ponds. It is about released birds. If you are defending releasing ducks to shoot, or to use as live decoys, then you arent worth another keystroke....

BB, I agree with you if you are referring to instant success because of releasing. As I said before, hard work should be rewarded and no work should not. But be careful bashing release ducks or any other restocking program. If you look back releasing ducks is how Duck Unlimited got started. Released/Restocking has been going on for many, many years. Most people were unaware of it.

Browing.. that is funny.

BB, I agree with you if you are referring to instant success because of releasing. As I said before, hard work should be rewarded and no work should not. But be careful bashing release ducks or any other restocking program. If you look back releasing ducks is how Duck Unlimited got started. Released/Restocking has been going on for many, many years. Most people were unaware of it.

Browing.. that is funny.
    This is funny. And you are lost.

Thanks for planting and managing for ducks.

Restocking program. I just LOL'd in my pants.