Thread: Development and growth in this state

What is your opinion on the impact it has had overall? Good, bad or somewhere in between? How has it affected you, not only in ways connected to hunting, but other areas of life as well? In your reply let us know how long you have lived here. Just curious what other people's point of view is.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I have lived in the lowcountry 30 years out of 32. I grew up in a small farming community which is slowly decreasing in farming and increasing in homes. Even I got plans to build there in the next year. I am trying to by a large tract of land from family and plan on building where there is no hunting already because of surrounding houses and keep the rest for my kids and friends to enjoy. I have watched some hunting clubs I use to visit or been a member of change into a housing development almost over night. I also have made some good money off of selling lots and houses here around town that I have lived in. Growth is going to happen, we can slow it down but we will never stop it.

That is my Readers Digest version.

By the way anybody in the market for a house by the Tail Race canal? Got one for sale - 3000 sq ft, 2 car garage, 3 full baths, dining room, breakfast room, upgraded kitchen, 3 bedrooms, game room, frog, deck, etc....privacy fence, perfect landscape, etc....
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

I hate the unrestricted development SC. is experiencing. This state is #1 in urban spral in the nation. I love the land but I have about had enough... I have been thinking about moving to Idaho for 6 years now, and I don't know how much longer I will hold out.

I've been here all my life, but I don't know how much more of this encrochment I want...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I've had it. There is no upside to the growth we're experiencing, unless you are a real estate agent or a developer, and all you do is watch TV or play golf.
    Sure, many of us make money from the growth, but when I was 20, I had NO income, and I did things every day that no zillionaire can afford now. You can't buy the wild quail I used to hunt with ANY amount of money today, and it was free for the taking. What good is it when it destroys your quality of life and the things you hold dear?

Moved for serious discussion to wildlife and habitat politics forum..... if it goes downhill it's headed for AUS lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.