Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duck season ideas

Originally posted by JABIII:
    Rubberhead, are mud motors really that much of a problem that they should be outlawed? Granted, I have only ever seen one on the water and it DID sound much like a riding lawnmower coming up the river for what seemed like forever, but are they impacting the resource negatively in some areas?

I ask you because I know that you, unlike many on this site, put the welfare of the ducks FIRST and I can get an unbiased view. You are not the first to mention banning mud motors and I hear it more and more on the list of what needs to be done to relieve pressure on a migratory waterfowl population that has plummeted.

Many of us remember when airboats were outlawed in some areas of the state. Has the time come to take a serious look at mud motors and their impact?
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Yes, I believe wholeheartedly that banning mud motors on public waters from November through February would do wonders for reducing disturbances on wintering waterfowl which would, in turn, increase the wintering population of all waterfowl in South Carolina.

In the early ‘90s (1992 I think), I bought a Go-Devil directly from Warren Coco, when there were ducks-a-plenty on the Cooper River and on Lake Moultrie and few hunters. Almost immediately, I started killing noticeably more than my share of ducks. I am not so pretentious to think that I helped start the mud motor fad, but I was in fact, a couple of years ahead of the fat part of the Go-Devil bell curve.

I quickly learned that I could drive directly into the big raft of wigeon in Ricehope and be set-up and ready to hunt before the birds could circle once. I could power through hydrilla and hunt back coves on Lake Moultrie where no one else could even go. On Saturday’s I was the first one to reach the center of the Hatchery where the big ducks were. For a year or two, I was killing a pintail almost every Saturday mostly because I had one of the few mud motors around.

After reaching an easy 3-bird limit, I would ride around the rest of the morning running birds out of every nook and cranny on whatever body of water I happened to be hunting. Thinking back, I realize that one person with one mud motor could disturb every bird on half of Lake Moultrie with less than a gallon-and-a-half of gas. Multiply that times hundreds of mud motors and we’ve got a serious problem.

For the record, I stopped hunting with the Go-Devil in 1996 after watching someone else hunt the ducks in Ricehope using “my” mud motor method. Somehow, when I was doing it, it didn’t seem so bad. Watching someone else stir up clouds of ducks with little effort disgusted me.

I am back to scouting with the heel of my boots, a good pair of binoculars and a water-cooled Evinrude. I can only check two holes in a morning rather than 10 per hour, but I’m much happier and, I believe, a better hunter.

Sorry to be so long winded, but, yes, I believe mud motors are a bad thing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Originally posted by Rubberhead*:

I am back to scouting with the heel of my boots, a good pair of binoculars and a water-cooled Evinrude. I can only check two holes in a morning rather than 10 per hour, but I’m much happier and, I believe, a better hunter.

<font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">I wish there were more hunters out there that would come around to this way of thinking. Keep it real Rubberhead!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Uh.....I don't think this thread is going in the direction Nab wanted it to go! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

This looks like the beginning of a mud motor bashing thread. Think again, it the mud motor pilots that give'm a bad name. I've seen it on the Cooper a lot. Instead of bustin' out the binoc's, some "meathead" with a mud motor will blast through coots to "see if there's any boyds in'em". Faggs like that give mud motors a bad name and always will. Jumpin' up birds by mashing through'em is no way to scout.
    When I was younger I always used to hear that practice makes perfect. Later I heard that nobody's perfect. So, I just stopped practicing.

Ya'll if banning mm's would really help I would be the first to give mine up - it ain't the motor - it's the rubberheads that give them a bad name along with rubberheads hurting in other ways also.
    And remember, we've also got people on here that say planting the refuge won't help, so it all goes back to what affects "me" and not what might really help hunting in SC.
    MM, you're right on one thing though - let's get back to helping the ducks in SC - we keep hearing about pressure - please tell me why lowering the limits and shortening the season won't help with pressure here in SC and should in turn keep more ducks in state - and remember I'm not talking about it improving the duck pops on the entire East Coast - just why it won't help here in SC.
    By the way, the airboats were banned because one particular senator - he didn't like them and tagged it along with another bill - and it only applied to the Santee Swamp.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

Originally posted by Nab:
    Ya'll if banning mm's would really help I would be the first to give mine up
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">So you are saying that mud motors are not causing problems? Bullshit.

it ain't the motor - it's the rubberheads that give them a bad name along with rubberheads hurting in other ways also.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Nab you are the undisputed King of the Rubberheads. You ought to know.

And remember, we've also got people on here that say planting the refuge won't help, so it all goes back to what affects "me" and not what might really help hunting in SC.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Who is saying that? Where? Quit changing the subject and making shit up. Mud Motors are putting too much pressure on already over pressured public water. They should be banned.

MM, you're right on one thing though - let's get back to helping the ducks in SC - we keep hearing about pressure
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">And people are saying that banning mud motors would help public waters but you blow it off as usual just because it doesn't suit you.

- please tell me why lowering the limits and shortening the season won't help with pressure here in SC and should in turn keep more ducks in state
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Why not close duck season on public water for 3-5 years? That would surely get ducks back on public waters, right?

By the way, the airboats were banned because one particular senator - he didn't like them and tagged it along with another bill - and it only applied to the Santee Swamp.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Good, let's start with banning mud motors in Santee Swamp and see what happens.
    Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

if you want to talk about being jealous, it seems the majority of the wanna be duck hunters shoot corn ponds where most of the hunting part is taken out of it - personally I would rather shoot 2 wood ducks and a few "real" big ducks after scouting and then hunting them that to sit in nice cushy blind in a flooded corn field
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Mr. Hypocrite with his anti-flooded field whining again. The funny thing about jealousy is that even as you rail against hunting flooded fields in SC you run out and do the same thing first chance you get in other states.

Well I was too young and pretty and the whores wouldn't leave me alone.

Well crafted Rubbahead... well crafted.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

By driving, rallying or chasing birds with any motorized conveyance or any sailboat to put them in the range of the hunters
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">This is the only one I could find, but at the boat ramp I seen a sign saying something to the effect of "disturbing/molesting" waterfowl. Anyone know any thing about this? I know you're not supposed to rally the birds but thought you couldn't run through em either. Instead of banning mudmotors wouldn't it be ok if we just had current laws inforced. I know with a shortage of GW's its hard but everyone here, Im sure, has a cell phone and binocs. I can tell ya one thing, my mudmotor has not opened up a lot of hunting ground to me, it just makes it easier to get home. I could take my outboard damn near everywhere I could take the mud motor....I just played hell gettin it outta there, which I contended with if thats where the birds were.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Great post Rubberhead. I had no idea that MM's were causing that much of a disturbance. A friend of mine has an impoundment off the Cooper River and he is always saying that Mud Motors are his best friend. I now see why...

Boom Boom, you definately have his number, Sir... [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Would love to get jet skis and four wheelers thrown in there too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Bamm Bamm - you still don't get it do ya.
    JABIII - mm's are not that big of an issue - like bb said, there are laws that should prevent rallying of birds - if there is a problem then this law should be enforced - don't bring up something in an attempt to hurt me, my way of hunting and my business - you'll be hurting alot more than just me.
    It's just funny how instead of finding ways to really help the ducks you have to turn things around in attempt to hurt me.
    You - JABIII have not lifted a finger to help the refuge, you cry and complain anytime something is brought up that might negatively affect you while it might help the ducks, you even called me and said the Sumter boys would shoot down the WMA idea, you have to ask if mm's are a problem - don't you think if they were you would have heard more and would have hollering for along time before this.
    You, Bamm Bamm, tigger don't like me and I don't really care for ya'll either, but we need to put this personal shit behind us for now and get some things done for the ducks - meaningful things - mergie has a great idea - get the flyway to work together - only problem is that most care about the hunter more than the ducks now - ya'll are even proving that it's more important to try and hurt me and others than it is to help the ducks - give us some ideas - even the include mm's in there is you please.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

Nab,
    Rubberhead made an educated and objective point about the MMs that had nothing to do with you. If you let BB, Trigger et al fog your lenses, then that's your problem. Has to do with ways to lower pressure on public water. You are biased on the MMs because it's your way of making a living. I'd say you are not in a position to comment objectively regardless of who does and doesn't like you. Kind of like having SCWA sitting on the waterfowl committee and deciding on released mallards ain't it?

Rubberhead

Nab, it looks to me like Rubberhead is the one that drove the point home on mms. I must admit, I had not thought of them as that big a problem but they obviously are in some areas. I commend you for saying that you would be for banning them if you thought it would help the ducks...it just may come down to that one day.

JABIII have not lifted a finger to help the refuge,
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Nab, when are you going to realize that Jab's place IS the refuge?
    When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

this mud motor thing is kind of like guns

it is who is using and how they are using it.

guns- hunters use them to kill what they are hunting for. while all the home boys use them to settle disputes and to rob people.

mud motors- some people use them to broaden there hunting area such as getting further into the swamp. if the do bust some ducks up they dont keep running them around. in some areas the bottom is hard enough to wade but a mudmotor could get to the spot and be able retrieve downed ducks.
    other hunters will spot birds run them up and wait for them to settle down and then repeat. they will also run them down and shoot them while running wide open.

my point being is dont banned guns, mudmotors, etc because of the products. it is the idiots using them that is the problem.

btw-i dont own a mud motor- just my $.02
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

"Nab, when are you going to realize that Jab's place IS the refuge?"

And yet Nab wants us to do the Federal Government's job too... Bwaahaahhahaahaa [img]graemlins/bawling.gif[/img]

trigger Coots

"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents"

Salvador Dali

yall boys get just a little too excited about pickin on nab.
    [img]graemlins/3way.gif[/img]

well said DUCK MASTER.
    on the other hand though, Mud motors have become (in some areas) a tool for the idiots to get back in places they once didn't know.
    but MM aren't the problem. just like guns aren't the problem.
    take away guns and stupid people will kill themselves with sticks.
    take away mud motors and rubbers will continue to rally ducks with outboards.
    JAB's place IS the santee-wateree refuge right now, THANK YOU TWO RIVERS, for giving the birds a place, when our gov. decided to throw in the towel. But that doesn't mean that we should give up on the original.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.