Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck season ideas

Anybody got any ideas that they would like to have brought up at the WAC meeting in August?
    Things that could be done now - shorter seasons, lower limits, cutoff times etc.
    Please keep this to ideas and not cussing each other out - if we come up with something we will need people to show up and support them also.
    Thanks,
    Nab.
    I always thought a website was a selling tool, not a product repair manual!

My two cents.

Arkansas reported better working ducks all season long last year. They put the "hunt" back into hunting by banning spinners and it made a difference on how the birds worked. I personally noticed the same thing when I was out there.....two different times. Birds not as call shy and decoy shy as in years past.

This(banning spinners) was brought up before to the WAC and they laughed.

So if they aren't going to consider that please DO NOT REDUCE our hunting opportunities with some FEEL-GOOD......not backed by science ideas......like reducing the limit on pintails or reducing the number of days to 50. If the USFWS gives us 60........then let's have 60. If they are worried about wood ducks.......then hold back the season on them until they feel it is ok.

We are looking at a liberal season with all the early reports showing the duck population up 13% from last year.

I very much agree with Cat. Why are they so afraid of banning spinners?

The only good thing I can find out of spinners is it makes it easy to find where everyone is on a marsh or open water.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

I agree CD! Hell I wish they would ban them in the US and Canada just so it does'nt have to be talked about anymore!
    80-20 Genaration

I agree on banning the spinners so let's get up there and raise a litle hell.
    Personally, I'm for reducing the days and limits and feel it will help here in SC by reducing some pressure - won't make a hill of beans to the overall population of ducks on the contitnent, but I don't need a scientific proof to know this should help locally.
    Let's get a list of things that we can get done now and show up and support them - how long of a notice do ya'll need to have to be able to make the meeting?

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

I agree with banning the spinners! I think we should have 60 and 6 with no specials on pintails and cans( It was embarassing last year to be the only state that did on pintails!)We have huge areas of prime habitat that has no ducks so cutting days and limits makes no sense(I would not be opposed to cutting the limit to 5 but only if the rest of the Atlantic flyway states did so also) Managed private habitat has become the area of choice for wild ducks in SC. Until regs are placed that equal or exceed those that the private managers use - the public waterfowler will not see any improvement except for the occasional influx of weather ducks and those will find the managed areas very quickly and stay.

What about banning all mud motors - they banned my Panther airboat in 1983 and I am still pissed!!!! LOL
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

So a few ideas - ban the spinners - a great idea - and do what the other states do and the max the FWS allows.

Until regs are placed that equal or exceed those that the private managers use - the public waterfowler will not see any improvement
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Does this include planting corn on public land?

I would not be opposed to cutting the limit to 5 but only if the rest of the Atlantic flyway states did so also
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Now I thought you were one of the ones saying that cutting limit would do any good that we needed days off!? They cut us 10 day and that was a fuck up?! Not starting a pissin match just bring up what I read in the past.
    80-20 Genaration

I would give my $0.02 but it will do not one bit of good b/c good ole SC will do nothing to change the way it is and has been for the last few years.

Here's an idea; Ban released Mallard's.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

DM#1 - I have absolutely no problem with planting corn on public land and hunting it....I strongly support it ...as long as it is managed like the waterfowl managers that have ducks do it!

You are right - in the last several years - pressure in the swamp has dropped dramatically and the results have been no increase in ducks - this tells me they have found superior habitat elsewhere and it is not on public land. I see no change in this until we as public hunters are willing to make the sacrifices that the private guy is doing. I have a small place - hunted it twice last year - killed mallards and blacks both hunts but I do not feel that we could have had another hunt. After each hunt, it took weeks to get the birds back in huntable numbers that would not ruin the place. Corn is king and if it is in the right place, you will kill quality ducks if you manage to what is needed and right now that can not happen on public waters in SC except for the occasional weather day or extended freeze.

We have just learned from the telemetry data from pintails that they trade back and forth with North Carolina on a daily basis. Why should we restrict our limits and seasons when the same birds are harvested somewhere else. There is similar supporting data for mallards as shown with the mallard and pintail studies in La. and Ark.

Yes, I would support FLYWAY changes but to think that SC has any impact is fooling yourself.

Our only salvation is Mother Nature and the Flyway Foundation and its efforts to improve nesting success for mallards that come to SC!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Here's my take -
    With the explosion of corn ponds and tamies in the last 10-15yrs, the public land does not have as good a chance as it did before this occurred - also, while this was going on - and I'm talking about Santee right now - we went thru a serious drought - ducks that did come down saw the swamp as a big field with some trees and a few creeks in it - where did they go? - to the corn ponds and the tamies - when they came back next yr the same thing happened - they are creatures of habit.
    The vast majority of pubic land will never be able to compete with a flooded corn pond.
    What we do here in SC will not have a major affect on the overall well being of the continent's ducks -what we can do is to give them as much food as we can, shoot and harrass them as little as possible so these creatures of habit will come to see SC as a place to be.
    Many people in the past have brought up closing the season to allow them imprint again on SC - now when we bring up lowering limits and shortening seasons people complain - next Feb. alot of people will be complaining again about no ducks - why wouldn't having less hunting days with lower limits help SC?
    Why not 40 days and 4 ducks?
    When before AHM did we have this many hunting days and high limits? Yes, overall I feel they get hunted too much, but we can't do anything about the FWS and other states right now - we can do somthing about SC in an attempt to help - is it the right thing - don't know for sure - but I do know that we can sit around bitching and nothing will ever get done - and taking away some hunting pressure can't hurt - might not help but can't hurt so why not try it?

Originally posted by DUCKMAN:
    We have just learned from the telemetry data from pintails that they trade back and forth with North Carolina on a daily basis. Why should we restrict our limits and seasons when the same birds are harvested somewhere else. There is similar supporting data for mallards as shown with the mallard and pintail studies in La. and Ark.
    <font size="-1" face="verdana,arial,helv">Yea, I never understood what rocket scientist came up with the idea of putting limits on SC when other states all around us are killing pintails when our season is closed.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Montana Ban
    January 17, 2006
    Steve Doherty, Chairman
    Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission
    1420 E. Sixth
    Helena, MT 59601
    Dear Chairman Doherty:
    We, the undersigned hunters, and Orion - the Hunters Institute, through this letter
    formally ask the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission to adopt a rule
    prohibiting the use of all electronic decoys for waterfowl hunting in the State of Montana.
    Many studies are now available that demonstrate the lethal effectiveness of electronic
    decoys to not only increase the take of waterfowl, but also to significantly alter natural
    behaviors. More importantly, perhaps, we believe the use of electronic decoys is contrary
    to the “fair chase” ethic that is so strongly a part of the Montana hunting tradition.
    Technologies that diminish the hunting opportunity, both in the sense of what the ducks
    can endure and the time people can spend afield, are contrary to both the North American
    model of wildlife conservation, and our ethical relationship with the fish and wildlife we
    nurture.
    I. Background
    The use of electronic duck decoys, particularly spinning wing decoys, has become
    widespread across North America since the initial development of the devices by duck
    hunters in California in the late 1990’s. The percentage of hunters using these devices has
    steadily increased during the last five or six years and now exceeds 50% in some parts of
    the country.1 Although no specific studies have been done in Montana, our observations
    as duck hunters indicate that similar increases are happening here. Like most restrictions
    on new hunting technologies, it is clear that the longer waterfowl managers wait to ban
    these devices, the more difficult such action will become.
    Given both their effectiveness and their implications for fair chase hunting, electronic
    spinning wing decoys are similar to many other hunting devices and techniques that have
    been banned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service [USFWS]. The rapid acceptance of
    spinning wing decoys by many waterfowl hunters, coupled with the generally declining
    scope of influence of the USFWS, has so far prevented the USFWS from addressing this
    issue. Nonetheless, it is useful to place the use of electronic spinning wing decoys in
    context by reviewing the history of how duck and goose hunting has been regulated by
    USFWS.
    1 Review of Electronic Motorized Decoys for Taking Migratory Game Birds, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
    Service, February, 2005.

Next Page

With the passage of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act in 1918, USFWS and its precursor
    agencies began regulating waterfowl hunting. While the principle tools employed by
    USFWS were season lengths and bag limits, USFWS also prohibited certain hunting
    practices in order to limit take, preserve populations, and promote sportsmanship and fair
    chase. Among other actions USFWS prohibited:
    • using guns larger than 10 gauge (1918),
    • taking waterfowl from boats under power or sail (1918),
    • using bait to attract waterfowl (1931),
    • using sink boxes and batteries (1935),
    • using live decoys (1935),
    • using shotguns with a capacity of more than three shells (1935),
    • taking waterfowl using livestock as a means of concealment (1941),
    • using electronic calling devices (1957), and
    • taking waterfowl with toxic lead shot (1991).
    II. Electronic Decoys Dramatically Increase the Take of Waterfowl
    To date, a number of studies have been undertaken to evaluate the effectiveness of
    electronic spinning wing decoys for waterfowl hunting. All of these studies have shown a
    dramatic increase in waterfowl take.
    • A California study conducted by the University of California-Davis showed that
    in paired tests (one group using electronic decoys, the other not) harvest rates for
    hunters using electronic decoys was six times higher in the early season, four
    times higher during the mid season, and two times higher in the last season.
    • A Manitoba study showed that mallard harvest was 5 times higher for hunters
    using electronic decoys in the marsh and 24 times higher in agricultural fields.
    • A study done in Missouri showed that daily success for hunters using electronic
    decoys increased by 13-19% and in paired tests, harvest was 1.5 times higher in
    the early and late season and 3 times higher during the mid season.
    • A Nebraska study using paired tests showed that hunters using electronic decoys
    harvest twice as many ducks in a marsh setting and that mallard harvest was three
    to four times higher in the late season.
    • Other studies have been done in Arkansas, Illinois and Minnesota. A USFWS
    review of all the studies done to date concluded, “overall, about 70% of all ducks
    harvested in these studies were taken using spinning wing decoys, while
    approximately 30% were harvested when SWDs were not in use.2”
    III. Because of their Effectiveness, Other States Have Banned Electronic Decoys
    While USFWS has, to date, refused to act on the issue of electronic decoys, several states
    have moved to ban them because of their negative impacts on both waterfowl and the
    2 Review of Electronic Motorized Decoys for Taking Migratory Game Birds, pp 2-3, U.S. Fish and
    Wildlife Service, February, 2005.
    Previous Page Next Page
    sport of waterfowl hunting. In each state, Fish and Wildlife Commissions or Departments
    recognized that electronic decoys could excessively impact the waterfowl resource, and
    lead to shorter seasons and smaller bag limits, even while undermining the great
    traditions of duck and goose hunting.
    Since ducks are attracted to spinning wing decoys over traditional decoys, hunters not
    using this equipment, for whatever reason, will be placed at a selective disadvantage at
    attracting ducks. This will lead to greater use of this equipment, greater harvests of ducks
    per hunter, and—ultimately—reduced populations and hunting opportunity.
    Washington State acted first, in 2001, banning all use of battery-powered and motorized
    waterfowl decoys. In Washington, a poll determined that hunters were evenly divided on
    the issue, but the Fish and Game Wildlife Commission banned electronic decoys by a
    vote of 6-2. Commissioners noted that “robotic” decoys were not in keeping with the
    traditions of waterfowl hunting and because their use was a fair chase issue, it was one
    the Commission should decide, not public opinion.
    Oregon banned spinning decoys in 2002, again because of fair chase concerns. As one
    commissioner noted, “We don’t hunt anymore because we need to hunt to survive. We do
    it for other values. We have to draw a line somewhere or we’ll have flying duck decoys.”
    Arkansas, one of the great duck hunting states in the country, moved in 2004 to ban
    electronic decoys for the 2005-2006 hunting season. The Arkansas Game and Fish
    Commission was motivated to take this step by a comprehensive report on improving the
    quality of Arkansas duck hunting that was prepared by the Arkansas Wildlife Federation
    [AWF]. In the report’s discussion on spinning wing decoys, AWF’s Duck Committee
    wrote:
    Among several startling discoveries, the AWF Duck Committee made in its
    investigation of the effect of mechanical or “spinning wing” decoys on duck
    populations. Various reports have been done…and they all reach the same
    conclusion: Hunters using spinning wing decoys kill more ducks, especially
    young ducks.
    Spinners also encourage more duck hunters to go hunting and add more days in
    the field per hunter. This also causes more areas to be hunted because more
    shooters feel confident enough to go afield. In other words, spinners require less
    hunter effort and skill…
    The AWF Duck Committee believes that the use of spinning winged decoys is so
    detrimental to the quality of the hunt that they should be banned through the
    nation. They reduce the fair-chase aspect of the sport and they remind us of tools
    used by market hunters long ago, such as baiting, live decoys and electric callers.3
    3 Improving the Quality of Duck Hunting in Arkansas: Findings and Recommendations
    of the Arkansas Wildlife Federation Duck Committee, pp 20-21, August, 2003. (The full
    report is available at http://www.arkansaswildlifefederation.org/.)
    Previous Page Next Page
    In addition to the total bans in Arkansas, Washington and Oregon, Minnesota, beginning
    with the 2004-05 waterfowl season, prohibited their use during the first week of the duck
    hunting season and throughout the season on all state wildlife management areas. In
    2003, California began prohibiting electronic decoys from opening day through
    December 1. Pennsylvania, which bans the use of electronic devices for all hunting, has
    never allowed spinning wing decoys.

Continued

IV. Montana Should Ban Electronic Decoys
    Montana sportsmen, the Legislature, the Commission and the Department have long
    worked together in conserving Montana’s fish and wildlife resources and protecting the
    public’s right to hunt and fish in an ethical matter. Over the decades, Montana has shown
    great leadership in recognizing that hunting must occur against a backdrop of fair chase
    and that the conservation ethic not only includes protecting and enhancing fish and
    wildlife populations, but also respecting the resource by limiting the tools and
    technologies available to the hunter.
    Beginning in the 1920’s and extending until the most recent legislative sessions and
    elections, Montana laws and regulations reflect a basic philosophy of providing hunting
    opportunity to the broad public, but against a defined code of conduct. In Montana it is:
    • unlawful for anyone to hunt or attempt to hunt any game animal or game bird:
    from any self-propelled or drawn vehicle;
    • unlawful to use any recorded or electrically amplified bird or animal calls or
    sounds to assist in the hunting, taking, killing, or capturing of wildlife, except
    predatory animals and those birds not protected by state or federal law;
    • unlawful to use aircraft to drive, rally or locate game animals;
    • unlawful to use any boat to drive, rally or concentrate game;
    • unlawful for a person, while hunting, to possess any electronic motiontracking
    device that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and
    relay information on the animal's movement to the hunter;
    • by Commission regulation, it is unlawful to use radios or walkie-talkies while
    hunting; and
    • by voter initiative, it is unlawful for an alternative livestock licensee to allow
    hunting of any alternative livestock, including deer and elk, for a fee or any
    other type of compensation.
    In adopting these laws and regulations, the legislature, the Commission and the voters all
    evidence a clear philosophy that allows wildlife to range free and rejects the use of
    electronic devices and motorized vehicles to gain advantage in the hunt. Instead, hunting
    skill and the individual determination of the hunter are the keys to a “fair chase” and a
    successful hunt, regardless of whether game is taken.
    Against this backdrop of law, and in light of this wide support for fair chase, the
    Commission should clearly move to ban electronic decoys, devices that dramatically
    increase hunter success, cause waterfowl to abandon traditional behaviors, and diminish
    the importance of hunter skill. The studies cited in this letter unambiguously demonstrate
    Previous Page Next Page
    the effectiveness of electronic decoys. They don’t, however, convey how they change
    bird behavior. Hunters better describe how ducks not only swarm to decoys, but do so
    where there is no duck habitat present. Consider this report that was posted on a website
    about a duck hunt in the Flathead Valley this fall.
    We found a field with about 2 thousand mallards in a bunch of barley that had
    been lost in the rain, but it was off limits to hunting. So our only choice was
    across the road in a dirt field that used to be potatoes (there was nothing on it).
    This morning we thought it would bust (why would ducks want to land in here).
    At first light about 100 landed in the barley, so we scared them off. We then
    turned on the mojos and started to do some loud and aggressive calling. The next
    group that came was about 200, and once they saw the 2 mojos they poured right
    into us. From then on, we had hundreds of ducks at a time swarming us, which
    made for a quick 5-man limit of 35 mallards, 1 honker, and two bands.
    Electronic decoys are legal now and many hunters with a hunting ethic to match our own
    use them. But we do not believe it is a fair chase, or in best interests of waterfowlers, to
    use devices where, with the push of a button, ducks will land in a dirt field. Given that
    Montana has banned similar electronic devices that were also used by ethical hunters, we
    urge the Commission to recognize that electronic decoys fall outside Montana’s tradition
    of fair chase and adopt regulations banning their future use.
    Outside concerns of fair chase and an ethical hunt, the use is undermining many
    assumptions about the impact of hunting on waterfowl populations. It stands to reason
    that today we could again experience unsustainable levels of additive waterfowl mortality
    with more frequency and across more species because of elevated numbers of waterfowl
    bagged per hunter per day through the use of electronic decoys.
    With most wildlife species, when harvest mortality combined with natural mortality
    exceeds annual production, hunter harvest becomes “additive” causing populations to
    decline. Duck hunting has historically been additive only when harvest far exceeded
    annual production (from market hunting, or liberal bag limits persisting during drought
    episodes). Without electronic decoys, most hunters fail to bag their daily limit on each
    outing.
    The evidence is clear; with electronic decoys these same hunters will bag more birds,
    prompting a number of questions…
    • Will more hunters spend more time afield because they are being successful?
    • Will traditional possession limits become more difficult to enforce?
    • Has harvest now become additive, and do we have the requisite monitoring
    monies to determine if it has?
    • If we reduce bag, possession, or season length, how will this perturb the
    waterfowling tradition?
    Previous Page Next Page
    With these combined ethical, resource, and fiscal concerns presented, we believe the
    technology should be banned. This action solves many more potential problems than it
    creates.
    We also observe that waterfowl managers are calling for more studies to assess the
    impacts of electronic decoys on waterfowl populations. For example, a single year study
    of the impact of electronic decoys on mallard populations in Minnesota showed a
    significant increase in harvest. But the study authors also wrote:
    A multi-year, flyway-wide study is needed to make stronger and more rigorous
    inferences regarding the potential changes in harvest distribution and annual
    harvest rates of mallards due to increasing use of SWDs (spinning wing decoys)
    by hunters in North America.4
    For its part, the USFWS has noted that while the use of electronic decoys may be
    undermining the models that USFWS uses to set seasons and bag limits, budget
    constraints preclude funding an adequate study of this critical issue:
    Expanded uses of these devices may also result in some significant shift in harvest
    distribution over time. Costs to improve our population and harvest monitoring
    databases and to more accurately detect harvest rate changes resulting from wide
    spread usage of these devices would likely be prohibitive for management
    agencies, given current budgetary constraints.5
    Rather than studying the impacts of electronic decoys, the better course is simply to
    prohibit their use. At a time of tightly constrained budgets and continuing degradation of
    waterfowl habitat, we can think of no poorer use of limited funds than studying a device
    that allows hunters to kill more ducks quicker. Funds should be prioritized for habitat
    acquisition and protection, not expended on arcane studies of decoy effectiveness. We
    recognize that Montana’s waterfowl harvest is small and the resource impacts of using
    electronic decoys here may be relatively insignificant. As part of both the Central and
    Pacific Flyway Councils, however, Montana representatives should strongly advocate
    flyway-wide bans on electronic decoys, rather than accept strategies that call for funding
    studies that study their impacts.
    V. Conclusion
    As avid hunters, we all marvel at the majesty of North America’s waterfowl resource.
    Diminished as it is from former times, it is still a treasure for Montana and the nation. It
    is clear to us that protecting this resource and its wetland habitats across the continent
    should be the first and absolute priority of hunters and waterfowl managers alike.
    4 Szymanksi M.L and A.D. Afton, 2005. Effects of spinning wing decoys on flock behavior and hunting
    vulnerability of mallards in Minnesota, Wildlife Society Bulletin 33(3):993-1001.
    5 Review of Electronic Motorized Decoys for Taking Migratory Game Birds, p 5, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
    Service, February, 2005.
    Previous Page Next Page
    At some basic level, debates over devices that allow hunters to kill more ducks and often
    kill them more quickly, detract and distract from this priority. A great duck hunt is an
    event long remembered, but it is only one reason why we go to the marsh. For duck
    hunting to continue, it must be built on tradition rather than technology and it must
    fundamentally be done in a manner that reinforces the efforts by many, many hunters to
    conserve the waterfowl resource. In our view, electronic decoys undermine this
    conservation ethic by promoting the kill rather than the hunt.
    We ask the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission to issue regulations that ban
    the use of electronic decoys just as it has, in the name of conservation and the ethic of fair
    chase, banned all manner of other electronic devices for sport hunting. We further ask the
    Commission to direct the Department to advocate banning electronic decoys to the
    Flyways Councils and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
    Sincerely,
    Jim Posewitz, Executive Director
    Orion - Hunters Institute
    PO Box 5088
    Helena, MT 59604-5088

50 days and 6 birds. Maximum pintail and canvasback seasons. (I will never support a drop in limit, only days)

Nov. 11 - Nov. 18
    Nov. 22 - Nov. 25
    Dec. 16 - Dec. 17 (Youth only days)
    Dec. 22 - Jan. 28

Move some of the days in the early December season to mid-November. These early ducks aren't going to stay in SC anyway so let them take some of the pressure instead of getting a free pass.

4 Mallards not to include more than 2 hens, and 1 Black or 1 Mottled duck, etc.

No powered decoys.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Let's not let this tread die.

Here's what I've heard so far:

Banning spinners (very strong support)

Lowering limits beyound USFWS max (almost no support)

Lowering days (little support - most want the USFWS max)

Get back to the "AND" limit on brown ducks (only one mention of support).
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I kind of like Rubberhead's proposal... Only I still wouldn't want to see but a one mallard hen limit.

Of course, killing two mallard hens would eventually help with getting the MRP trash out of the gene pool.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

When I first started hunting public water in the low country about 10 years ago there was no waterfowl hunting after 1PM and no hunting on Sundays.

The morning hunts seemed to be more productive when afternoon pressure was eliminated.

I guess a lot of people would oppose going back to this regulation, but I think (no afternoon hunting) gave the ducks time to loaf peacefully on public water in the afternoon and possibly improved public hunting in the morning.

As far as Sunday's go a lot of people work on Saturday and Sunday is the only day they can hunt. But, I think one day a week break would be good for the ducks and the hunter, so maybe move this to Tuesday's.

Of course, if we go back to this, we should take all the days we are allotted from the Feds.

Best Regards

Ban Spinners and Cut Days (give resting periods). I personally wouldnt mind if they only let you hunt on wed, sat, and sunday morning.