Thread: USFWS Southeast Region Workforce Management Plan

There is such a beast that begins to address the effects of the the current budget on southern refuges. The only place that I have found the report is:

http://www.wilderness.org/Library/Do...kforcePlan.pdf

At the risk of being lengthy, I'll copy-and-paste a few items of interest here. My interest was relative to Santee NWR and I should note that the impact there is the loss of one Administrative position (as I read this), so it could be worse.

"Southeast Regional Director Sam Hamilton and Regional Refuge Chief Jon Andrew established three Teams to address these issues for refuges in the Southeast. The teams established
    were:
    (1) Field Review Team,
    (2) Regional Office Review Team, and
    (3) Outreach Team"

As it happens, the Santee Manager at the time (Mark Purcell) was a member of the Field Review Team. The Outreach Team is tasked with providing info on the subject. That made me wonder why I had to go to a non-FWS site to even find the plan, but they pointed it out to me (in more difficult format) on the FWS site as follows:

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/workforce/

"The plan identifies three tiers of refuges, which are defined further in the document:
    1. Focus Refuges
    2. Targeted Reduction Refuges
    3. Unstaffed Satellite Refuges
    ...The 128 national wildlife refuges located in the Southeast Region were divided into three tiers as follows: 24 were identified as Focus Refuges, 61 were listed as Targeted Reduction
    Refuges, and 43 were identified as Unstaffed Satellite Refuges"

These are listed in the Appendix of the Plan. SC Focus Refuges are Cape Romain and Carolina Sandhills (WHY?). SC Targeted Reduction Refuges on the list are as follows:
    E.F. Hollings ACE Basin
    Santee
    Waccamaw
    Did we trade Santee for Carolina Sandhills???
    Finally, Pinckney Island is the only Unstaffed Satellite Refuge in SC.

"No refuge is identified for closure in this plan and core mission functions will be maintained at least minimally on each refuge in the Southeast Region....The primary purpose of this plan is to realign our declining staff to the Southeast Region’s highest priority resources, primarily to refuges in the Focus category."

That's good...IF we have the right ones on that Focus list.

"The Southeast Region currently manages 128 national wildlife refuges, encompassing nearly four million acres. This is 24 percent of the total number of refuges in the Refuge
    System, making the Southeast Region the largest Region. Refuges in the Southeast Region also host 30 percent of the total visitation nationally."

I'm afraid that's NOT good and, given waterfowl migration, becomes a reason TO CUT part of the SE refuge budget. However, the southern MF IS in this region and that helps at the bureaucratic level.

"The Southeast Region currently manages 128 national wildlife refuges, encompassing nearly four million acres. This is 24 percent of the total number of refuges in the Refuge System, making the Southeast Region the largest Region. Refuges in the Southeast Region also host 30 percent of the total visitation nationally.... our hope is to achieve a significant percentage of the 79 positions....the reduction of 54 positions will result in close to a 20% operational margin."

What HE said. They developed a list of over 90 positions to cut, added BACK enough to make the number 79, decided that they couldn't cut 79 on attrition alone and are busy justifying a cut of 54 to achieve their goals. It should also be understood that this is in addition to the 64 positions cut in the FY 2004-2006 period.

"Focus refuges (Figure 2) were not selected because they were either fully funded or fully staffed. Focus refuges were selected because they
    had at least adequate staffing to provide quality management for some aspect of the primary mission of the Refuge System. Some were
    selected because of their successful management of migratory waterfowl, endangered species or various important habitat types, such as
    bottomland hardwood or coastal environments.
    Additionally, showcase environmental education and visitor programs were selected. There is tremendous variety in the Focus refuges, such as station size, staffing size and specialization,
    and habitat importance and type."

THE ISSUE: Should be read with the phrases "good judgement", "politics", snd "compromise" spinning around in your head. That's why Santee suffers and we preserve a unique ecosystem like Carolina Sandhills...to give an example.

"DISCUSSION:"
    "Currently, the Region has 671 permanent field staff to manage its 128 field stations, which is an average of only 5.2 staff per station. This
    staffing will drop further as we implement this plan....The fundamental basis of this report
    is that we must now focus our attention on fewer priority resources with emphasis on “Wildlife First. This forces us to limit our attention
    on all other refuge priorities, principally the “Big 6” priority wildlife-dependant public use opportunities...the National Wildlife Refuge System has looked beyond its boundaries to seek out creative partnerships that will benefit wildlife resources. With less people it will be impossible to develop and maintain as many unique
    cooperative opportunities."

There is a huge amount of info in this Plan with its Discussion, Conclusions, and Appendix. I suggest the first site noted in this post as the best place to review it.

USFWS FAQ Info:

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/workforce/faqfield.html#16

To increase the operating margin and meet basic needs on refuges in the past few years, Southeast refuges abolished 68 permanent positions (seven percent of the total workforce). These job losses came opportunistically - when vacancies occurred, they were not filled - thus creating inequities in our regional refuge workforce.

Currently roughly 90% of Southeast refuges' budget goes to salaries and benefits of our employees.

The Plan develops three strategies for addressing current needs. First, each of the region's 128 refuges was identified with one of three tiers to best reflect the current or expected status of the refuge in coming years. Twenty-four refuges are " Focus Refuges" for this region, 61 are refuges " Targeted for Reduction ," and the remaining 43 are " unstaffed/Satellite Refuges." (see question 9.) he second step in addressing the critical situation of refuges in the Southeast Region was identifying staff reductions. It is essential to understand, however, no position on any national wildlife refuge is deemed to be unnecessary. In fact, prior to the reductions proposed in this plan, most refuges in the Southeast Region were already understaffed. Stations were identified as candidates for strategic staff reductions only if core functions and key habitats could be maintained during the next three years. In the analysis, a total of 79 field and 8 regional office positions were identified for eventual elimination during the next three years. Of these positions, 25 are managers, 7 are biologists, 2 are foresters, 13 are public use positions, 3 are in law enforcement, 1 is a planner, 24 are administrative positions, and 22 are in maintenance. This in no way infers that the same level of work would continue after staff reductions, but key habitats would not deteriorate past recovery over the next three years.The third step was to propose new refuge complexes within the Southeast Region. The new complexing will affect seven refuges. The decision to complex refuges (to group refuges together) was made to increase management efficiency. This will be accomplished by creating new complexes of refuges with similar types of resources, while recognizing span-of- ontrol limitations based on geography and supervisory needs.

13. Will the positions identified in these plans remain on our organizational charts? No. When the position becomes vacant, these positions will be abolished.

What about refuge Friends groups and other partners? The Southeast Region is fortunate to have 60 refuge and hatchery Friends groups. In difficult budget times, Friends and volunteers are more important than ever in helping refuges achieve our shared purposes. We want to continue to reach out to our Friends and partners and every refuge with a Friends group should work diligently to help them understand why we must make these difficult decisions. We recognize, however, the tendency of most Friends groups is to "protect their own" and they may want to advocate saving positions on "their refuge." If this occurs, Friends groups will be competing against each other by attempting to shift budgets or positions from one refuge to another. They must understand this reduced operating capacity is a problem affecting the entire National Wildlife Refuge System. By trying to protect their refuge, they can negatively affect the overall system and disrupt regional and national strategies and priorities. Friends groups can and should network together or work with national groups such as the National Wildlife Refuge Association to address refuge system issues. They can obtain more information by contacting the NWRA http://www.refugenet.org .

What HE said. They developed a list of over 90 positions to cut, added BACK enough to make the number 79, decided that they couldn't cut 79 on attrition alone and are busy justifying a cut of 54 to achieve their goals. It should also be understood that this is in addition to the 64 positions cut in the FY 2004-2006 period.
    ridiculous.

also odd to note on the SC fact sheet that carolina sandhills has ELEVEN full time employees. that might explain why it made the top list. can anyone tell me ANYTHING about that WMA?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

nope

I remembe deer hunting there in 1977 when I was at Francis Marion U. That's about it,kind of a sandy place if'n I recall correctly.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

and sand is more important than a wetland?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Must be, maybe there is an ivory bill woodpecker or something of such there?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Carolina Sandhills made the Focus List for THREE reasons:

1. There may not be an IBW there, but there IS a RCW (Red-Cockaded Woodpecker) and CS shows up FIRST on the FWS SE list of habitats for it.

2. This area is one of the few in the country on that type of ecosystem (upland sandhills).

3. The current Admin expert at Santee NWR worked there for MANY years and was instrumental in putting together their "legacy plan" in association with the FWS Centennial. It was well-received and scored many points in the bureaucracy. BTW: This was in a period of major staff reductions at Santee and it doesn't appear that ANY plan was put together by that location at that time.

Can you tell that I spent some time at Santee today? I have some new data about the refuge, but I will put it in another post or two; gotta build up that post count, ya know?

History/Fishing #2.

Remember this when you (or I) forget the upcoming meeting in Summerton about Santee's CMP. Something like this is how Sandhills made the priority list and Santee fell off the earth.