Thread: Hogs by moonlight

Is it legal to shoot hogs at night WITHOUT using artificial light?

i know no one cares. I know I could get away with it, but is it LEGAL?

I have pigs eating corn at night and could easily shoot them without using a q-beam.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Call DNR and get a depradation permit. Then you can shoot them with or without the Qbeam all night long...

i dont want to have to deal with pat.

Edited:

Post under review.

Would a red-filtered one help?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Only after the pigs are cornered or treed Catdaddy. You still can't shine fields to locate them, at least from a vehicle.

I'm not sure you could use a weapon mounted light, or any other light, at night "unless cornered or treed". I agree that moonlight wouldn't be a problem though.

PB,
    I was confusing hunting coyotes at night with hunting hogs at night.

I don't think you can hunt hogs at night under any circumstances(except depredation permit).

It's coyotes that a light can be used when treed or cornered......by dogs.

A depredation permit would be the only legal way.

but if a hog is not a game animal, why would it matter? seems to me they aren't regulated, thus the use of the lights is a moot point.

wouldn't you love to come across this beast in the dark, though. I love chasing these bastards because I love them dead.

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKx gXPGa%3F87KR6xqpxQQPJxnanxPaJxv8uOc5xQQQ00e0n0P0GQ qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPGa%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

I have wondered the same thing but unfortunately it is not legal. A nice full moon and a open field is one of the best way to wack piggies. They more or less run around in circles in the field every time you shot, so I have been told.

Feral Hogs and Coyotes - A hunting license is required to hunt feral hogs and coyotes. Coyotes may be hunted at night only as prescribed in the “Night Hunting” section on the following page. Hogs may not be hunted at night. There is no closed season or weapons restrictions for hunting feral hogs and coyotes on private lands statewide with the following exceptions; bla bla bla
    This is from the regs book, in case anyone is interested.
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you

one good way to kill those bastages is to hang you a lantern in a tree over some corn...let 'em get use to eating under the lantern...sit up in a tree and wack the crap out of those sorry bastages....

If you only shoot one per night you wont get caught. A small surefire flashlight works best. You can see those bastages good and not attract any unwanted attention. Also a big gun like a 7mag or a 300 makes a loud sound that doent have much or a crack to it when fired in the woods so it is harder to tell where it came from.

I have also heard tell of folks taking a 12 volt light and hanging it in a tree/on a pole/on a feeder then just take a 12 volt battery with you to the stand and hookerup. They say the hogs do not mind the light that much and it puts off enough light to enable to to see well enough at night. Just get a lower wattage bulb I guess.
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you

Originally posted by Sprigtale:
    If you only shoot one per night you wont get caught. A small surefire flashlight works best. You can see those bastages good and not attract any unwanted attention. Also a big gun like a 7mag or a 300 makes a loud sound that doent have much or a crack to it when fired in the woods so it is harder to tell where it came from.
    damn outlaw
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quack I ise to be one but since I grew up I only have relapse once in a while.

never said anything was wrong with it. hell, alotta people have relapses once in awhile
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You can't legally hunt hog at night, but oh well. That's when the big boys walk and that's when the catching is the best

Except with a depredation permit and then you can legally hunt hogs at night...