Thread: First Shot

Default First Shot

Wellllllll.......what can I say. I am happy and dissapointed. The wife shot a doe last night at about 18 yards brodside complete pass through with a Slick Trick Magnum. The arrow was saturated and the blood smelled good. We waited an hour then tracked for about 75 yards until we came upon two pools of blood. We went another 70 to 90 yards and it started to dry up. So we backed off waited another hour for a good tracking dog. Went back to the last blood and the dog picked it up on his second attempt. That cat drug me for about 150 yards through a thicket the whole time I was seeing blood. We came out of the thicket and it seems the deer busted out of property on to a neighbors that I did not have permission to be on. Especially at 9:30. After a lot of talking we decided it was a high shot that only got one lung and exited out of the off side loin. I am sore as hell and scratched all to hell. I just wish that heffer would given up the ghost!!! I feel terrible for the wife. She was so excited when we found the bloody arrow. I tried to explain that is how things can go and after talking about all night and all morning and a few emails today, I think she is getting the point. I am really proud of her and what she has accomplished this year. Maybe it was not the right time to collect and there are still a few sits left this year. By the way....I have to give props to B-Stick for bringing out his hound last night. You really know who your friends are when they drop what they are doing to come tromp through briars to help you find a deer.

Keep her head up! She will get one!
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

So your neighbor would get mad if you tracked a wounded and now dead deer onto their property at night? I would have kept going and i would expect my neighbor to do the same if his wounded deer came onto my property. Did you try to contact them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    So your neighbor would get mad if you tracked a wounded and now dead deer onto their property at night? I would have kept going and i would expect my neighbor to do the same if his wounded deer came onto my property. Did you try to contact them?
    I tend to do the same but I do call as I enter.....more of a heads up than asking permission. But everyone understands. When I get the call I usually go in to help.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

It is not really like that....these people have a smaller parcel that is not for hunting and it is known they do not want you tromping through their land. If the deer had run a different direction I could have followed for another mile or so. My immediate neighbors and I all have the understanding that we can follow wounded deer onto each others property. We even got together this year to exchange information before the season so if that ever happened we could call to notify each other. Long story short, the deer pretty much went the one way that I could not follow. The other two guys with me agreed that it was not a good idea to proceed. I will be headed over there this week to try to introduce myself in case this ever happens again.
    Last edited by Riggs; 11-07-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    I tend to do the same but I do call as I enter.....more of a heads up than asking permission. But everyone understands. When I get the call I usually go in to help.

Only reason you call is to get a ride back to the house 5 miles away.

Focker
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    It is not really like that....these people have a smaller parcel that is not for hunting and it is known they do not want you tromping through their land. If the deer had run a different direction I could have followed for another mile or so.
    Sounds like you didn't even try to call them to explain the situation...why not? I would think just about anyone would understand...

Good for the gal!

Wish there was a good ending. Tell the property owner that it might not ever happen again but this is a first deer.
    Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    Sounds like you didn't even try to call them to explain the situation...why not? I would think just about anyone would understand...

Alright dude.............you are starting to get on my nerves. I do'nt know a person that carries a freakin phone book with and a list of names of the local property owners or the county tax documents that show me property lines. You need to back off because you were'nt there and you do not know the area. I do not even know why I am wasting my time explaining myself to you and why you insist on busting my balls. Five different people looked for four hours.
    Last edited by Riggs; 11-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Alright dude.............you are starting to get on my nerves. I do'nt know a person that carries a freakin phone book with and a list of names of the local property owners or the county tax documents that show me property lines. You need to back off because you were'nt there and you do not know the area. I do not even know why I am wasting my time explaining myself to you and why you insist on busting my balls. Five different people looked for four hours.
    You did everything you could do that night, even getting a dog. I'm glad your wife didn't take it lightly but she can't let it give her paralysis by analysis. You didn't know your neighbors number, either. IMO, rest easy, give her a hug, and don't let her throw in the towel.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    You did everything you could do that night, even getting a dog. I'm glad your wife didn't take it lightly but she can't let it give her paralysis by analysis. You didn't know your neighbors number, either. IMO, rest easy, give her a hug, and don't let her throw in the towel.

Amen brother...well put and thanks! To some it up....I have never felt satisfied with the effort put forth with a lost deer no matter how hard I tried.

There are people that will not allow you to track deer on there property. The neighboring landowner on one of the areas I hunt point blank said nobody better step foot on his property for any reason or he will call the law. So Riggs did the right thing you never know what kind of assholes you might be close too. I do not like leaving a deer in the woods to be wasted but I do not want to go to jail or pay big fines either.

Sounds like you did all you could, especially getting a dog (thumbs up to B-stick for being available) and your wife made a good shot. Sometimes things just don't work out. It really sucks but trespassing on close-minded neighbor could have turned in to a catastrophe. You did all you could do. It could have happened with any weapon to anybody.

Have you considered switching to a Rage two blade? ;~)

it was no problem buddy...

just wished we could of found the deer..

i aint but a phone call away and a 1/4 mile from your house..

My brother always lived by "its better to ask for forgiveness than permission" but i am the same way as you. if i know that person doesnt want me over there i respect that, even if i dont agree with it and i would expect the same if the roles were reversed.
    Directions to Clemson:

1) Go north until your smell it

2) Go west until you step in it

3) You have arrived at your destination