Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nocturnal

Default Nocturnal

Is anyone other than myself having problems seeing deer during the daylight hours? We have numerous pictures of deer.....all at night. I am about ready to throw in the towel for good. I got in the stand yesterday morning an hour before daylight sat through the rain thinking it was about to be on. Notta nothing. I saw one dazed and confused button buck the night before. I have spent about 45 hours out there in one spot covered with fresh sign with nothing to show for it. There is hardly any pressure on the 300 acres that we are bowhunting but the neighbor that has about 50 acres of food plot out of his 300 acres. They are like maggots over there. They are litteraly out there all times of the day.

Man I've learned that some people just have the luck. They could kill deer while sitting in their office shuffling papers....and then there are some of us than can sit in what appears to be an ideal spot and see much of nothing. I have sat numerous hours this year. I've killed two hogs and a doe. Got some nice eights on camera during the daylight but they're never there when I'm there. One guy in our club kills an eight about every third sit...go figure. I guess what I'm saying is there is a lot of skill involved but even more luck.

Some "experts" may say that corn piles make the deer nocturnal.......are you using corn?
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

45 hours in one spot may very well be your problem. I rarely hunt the same stand in a month. That's way too much pressure on a single area. Find another spot to sit.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    45 hours in one spot may very well be your problem. I rarely hunt the same stand in a month. That's way too much pressure on a single area. Find another spot to sit.

That is in two different spots in the last two months. I rotate every two weeks. Maybe they got a new dry erase calender like the one we use at work for vactaions so they can write down when I am coming and going. I have never had the horseshoe like the one metioned above with bowhunting deer or duck hunting. One racked backed in 9 years of bowhunting. Hell, I have only seen two racked bucks while bowhunting the last nine years. I am ashamed. All the prep, planning, planting, scouting and homework don't mean a damn thing for me. Oh well. I will finish out this season then sell all my deer hunting crap! Maybe the good Lord wants me to take up knitting.....that's what I'll do. I'll have StoneColdKiller teach me how to sew.
    Last edited by Riggs; 10-30-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Well I'd better clarify the guy that has killed five eight points is rifle hunting. I'm bowhunting but still pretty damn good. I've been bow hunting three years and shot one large spike and a lost a seven. Everything else has been does and hogs. Our deer are not nocturnal yet. Cameras show them out all times but with my luck they may as well be nocturnal.

Quote Originally Posted by ARROW HEAD View Post

Is like a fairy....not real.

Thank you Riggs. Agreed.

the deer have you patterned.
    try a sniper hunt. no scouting. pick a section of woods that you can enter from a dirt road with the wind in your face.
    walk in at least 300 yds as quietly as you can.
    pick out a tree and put up your climber.
    you'll see plenty of deer this way and also learn new places to hunt.

i have nothing to add...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    try a sniper hunt. no scouting. pick a section of woods that you can enter from a dirt road with the wind in your face.

^This^

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Man that is exactly what I thought about doing.....heard two deer lock up early Sat but they were about 100 yards away. That is the second time I heard deer in that area. I have two spots I am going to ninja hunt. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i have nothing to add...

That made me laugh...thanks for feelin the pain with me. I know...that's not by choice but still comforting.
    Last edited by Riggs; 10-31-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Right after daybreak(7-7:30am) seems to be the time.

I seen a big 6 chassing a doe friday down the side the road in the hunting club, pulled down the road to a cannal and watched a 4-6 run up and down it, then saturday watch a decent looking 6 run through a bean field rite at the house. All this was from 12-1 in the middle of the day
    Last edited by ktownduckhunter; 10-31-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

I saw 8 Saturday AM. Had two does come out at 5:30pm Saturday and watched them for 1.5 hrs before a big buck came charging out a corner hugging the trees, snapped off a bad shot in the 1.5 seconds I saw him. Needless to say I missed, I just didn't have the time to get a good sight pic before he was gone. Edumacateded the joker though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I've been following the 'Solunar' chart and I've been seeing deer when I've gotten myself into the right areas for the respective time of day.

I've only taken one large doe due to my own hesitation in taking anything that looks like it's under 80 lbs or so... acts like a young buck, even if I can't tell for sure from afar... or is smaller than "8 pts and outside the ears", because that's the landowner's rule.

I probably need to talk myself into being less picky because I need to put a bunch more meat in the freezer. If I don't start seeing some larger does, yearlings at least, or large bucks, I might start picking off the larger youngsters since there appears to be plenty of them this year.

I've passed on three opportunities at a large bodied but lanky 6-8 pt (can't tell for sure) buck in the last three days. The first time I saw him walk out of his bedding area I thought he was one of the owner's old donkeys with his hip bones sticking out. So either he's been chasing tail, which I've not seen much of yet, or he's just gone through a growth spurt and his body weight hasn't caught up yet. If so, he's going to be a bruiser if he makes it 'till next year.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have, in the past week or two started picking up some buck movement during shooting hours, mostly in the morning. I am photographing some transition pines between bedding and cut corn field.

Quit hunting the bucks!!! start hunting the doe movement and the bucks will show!
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.