Thread: trees

what would be the best types of trees to plant for flooded timber.

50 year old oaks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

yeah, have purchased in the past- about 10k a piece for a golf course. thats a little out of price range for a duck pond, in all seriousness is there any specific types of oaks to look at or even cypress, thanks for your input

Water oaks and willow oaks work best in a greentree reservoir. They are the most tolerant of the wet environment where they will be growing. Cypress also works well and so does any mast producing tree that can tolerate a wet environment. You'd be much better off trying to flood an area that has existing trees. The trees will have to reach 40-50 years before they offer any signifcant benefit.

gobbler sawtooths will produce sooner, but i dont think they tolerate too much water

According to the books Sawtooth oaks do not like wet feet, but I've been flooding about 400 trees for the last 5 years and have not had any problems. However, they are young trees and just beginning to produce acorns. In my opinion, as long as you flood them when they are dormant and get the water off them before they start to leaf in the spring… you will be OK.

check out www.edwardfortnurseries.com. They are in hartsville. Saw them in my QU mag and they sell trees from seedlings on up. They have a variety of 2-5yr. old oaks from 12 -18 dollars.
    I hope you guys have Hobo stab insurance!!

Edward Fort has top notch products. We have been buying from him for years with all good reports.

He is also a great guy and will go the extra mile for your purchase.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

SW is correct.
    cypress aren't beneficial other than cover.

70 days in a foot of water won't kill your trees.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

But do our oak trees go dormant later than we think. With the warming trend here lately, I have noticed my oaks stay green right on up to February and never seem to fully loose all their leaves. Are they still dormant eventhough most of leaves are hanging on. Heck the ones out my back door are still dropping acorns (like to park my boat under them - another topic to discuss).

Sawtooths produce around the 10 year mark - does or does not?

Looking to add a few trees around our ponds also, but not any cypress. Want something that will produce some food for ducks, deer and the turkeys.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Yes, Sawtoothed Oaks start producing at a very young age. If you fertilize the trees you can start getting acorns in the 6th and 7th years. I'm a firm believer in planting what is native to the area, but if you want to live to see the your oak trees produce acorns, you need to go with sawtooth

Pin oaks the only way to go. produces acorns in 7-8 years
    Plant it they will come.

We planted sawtooth oaks a couple of years ago and have had tough time keeping them alive. Ed Fort nurseries is definately a top notch company. We have bought many a trees from them (not the sawtooths, probably should have though). The trophy pear trees are great for deer.

Bogster post :
    SW is correct.
    cypress aren't beneficial other than cover.
    Incorrect statement ducks feed on Bald Cypress Fruit ( "cypress ball - smaller than golf ball round seed head-- separates to smaller pieces) and will show signs of sap on chest feathers and be packet full of the seeds at times when they're feeding on.

LWD, bogster was "raised around agriculture"
    can you say the same?

No sure your question of whether I was raised around agriculture....I did not grow up in Elloree surrounded by cotton field as a preachers son ....however I think Summerton surrounded by bean fields and working for grandfathers who farmed may be close and maybe I picked something up with a wildlife biology degree or 15 yrs working for a consulting forester , but more importantly I have first hand experience killing ducks that were feeding on cypress fruit which was confirmed when they were in the bag. My comment was not to slam bogster but to make a correct statement regarding the food source, there are much better tree recommendations which each would depend on the circumstances and setup of the impoundment.

inside joke