Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plotmaster vs. Grain Drill

How fast do you pull a PTO tiller?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

It depends on the soil condition, but it is normaly pretty slow.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

I run the Rotovator as slow as I can stand to drive the tractor. The slower you run it, the less clogs you will leave behind.

nutz...I believe its the 7'..? Looks like the one in the pic (on the tractor 3-point)..but mine doesnt have the tire on the back of it like the one shown. What is the purpose of that wheel? That thing is awesome for planting everything from tiny clover to sunflowers and soybeans...

I thought it was going to be slow as hell at first. But then realized that once you go over an area, that's it. It's a perfect seed bed. Plus, any saplings or other "junk" in your plot aren't merely knocked down- they're chewed up and spit out and pulled up.

Big things I've noticed are:

1 pass tilling

Don't have to be "up to speed" like with a disc- have a funny "corner" in the plot you're working? back into it, turn the pto on, and drop the implement and go to town.

It's also an awesome tool for dressing your roads. Drop it to where the tines are only hitting an inch or two deep and go to town. Next rain you have perfectly smooth, hard roads.

All in all, I don't plan on using a disc anytime soon, if ever again.

Sashami, my fields are littered with rocks big and small, how well does a tiller handle rocks?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I'd be kind of leary of rocks.

My place is mostly sandy to loamy with a little red clay in a few spots. No rocks.

Have a friend that plants a 70+/- acre dove field and they're loaded with rocks. They come close to going through a set of disc blades every season getting the fields ready to shoot.

LL, we used a PTO tiller on our club in the upstate last year on red clay and rocks. The tiller beat us and got the crap beat out of it. One a good note, the foodplots looked great, on a bad note, over the summer the foodplots turned into a brick. We had to use a sub-soiler to break the ground up this year. Will not use the tiller again unless I'm putting in a flower garden for my wife.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

youll love a tiller until you have to change the 50 some odd tines with worn out bolt heads.

Unverferth Perfecta II Field Cultivator, once you have used it, you don't go back......and the faster you go, the better it works.

damn SC, what's a contraption like that cost? Looks pretty sweet on the time factor! Has that ground been worked over before and to what extent? I'm tired of having to sub-soil our food plots on a yearly basis.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Nutz, are you saying that YOU NOW SELL KASCO SEED DRILLS at WATEREE TRAILER & SUPPLY, INC. ?

Because if you were SELLING KASCO SEED DRILLS at WATEREE TRAILER & SUPPLY, INC. that would, indeed, be something I'd be interested in getting some pricing info sent my way...