Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your finest hour

Dammit man. Great read Dhall

Congrats!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have been on some great hunts and some terrible ones. I think anyone who hunts long enough gets to endure the spectrum of them. Barn burners are always fun, but maybe not always the most memorable. For me I enjoy a good shoot with good company. To me...that's part of the fun. The comeraderie of the blind if you will. Anyway, my most memorable hunt is one of those.

I got invited over to my uncles place in arkansas. Birds were trickling in, as the early morning hours had brought below freezing temps and the ice was now beginning to thaw. The birds were not pouring in. Just groups of 2-3or 4 at a time looking for a place to set down and eat lunch. We took our places in the blind and immediatly started picking off greenheads as they worked. The sun was up, there was a chill in the air, and the wind was blowing out of the north briskly. A perfect day. We steadily shot drake mallards and pintails throughout the afternoon. We took pause occasionally to grab a snack, enjoy a pinch of tobacco, or tell a dirty joke. The ducks worked throughout the afternoon. We took our time and enjoyed ourselves, my young dog worked flawlessly, and all was good in the world. I know we shot a limit that day, we shot a lot of limits out of that blind. But that day was different for some reason. It was one of those days that allows you to just smile and enjoy life.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 01-19-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I have been on some great hunts and some terrible ones. I think anyone who hunts long enough gets to endure the spectrum of them. Barn burners are always fun, but maybe not always the most memorable. For me I enjoy a good shoot with good company. To me...that's part of the fun. The comeraderie of the blind if you will. Anyway, my most memorable hunt is one of those.

I got invited over to my uncles place in arkansas. Birds were trickling in, as the early morning hours had brought below freezing temps and the ice was now beginning to thaw. The birds were not pouring in. Just groups of 2-3or 4 at a time looking for a place to set down and eat lunch. We took our places in the blind and immediatly started picking off greenheads as they worked. The sun was up, there was a chill in the air, and the wind was blowing out of the north briskly. A perfect day. We steadily shot drake mallards and pintails throughout the afternoon. We took pause occasionally to grab a snack, enjoy a pinch of tobacco, or tell a dirty joke. The ducks worked throughout the afternoon. We took our time and enjoyed ourselves, my young dog worked flawlessly, and all was good in the world. I know we shot a limit that day, we shot a lot of limits out of that blind. But that day was different for some reason. It was one of those days that allows you to just smile and enjoy life.
    good stuff

For me at least, the camaraderie, is a huge part of the hunt.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The camaraderie and the tobacco ...

Sounds like a great day
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Good stuff here !!
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I was fortunate enough 3 years ago to guide two Special Forces guys that were fresh back from Afghanistan. When I shook their hands, and thanked them for their service that morning, I noticed the staunchness of their faces, and looked into eyes that had witnessed things that I couldn't even imagine. They were all business. The good Lord shined upon us that morning. The set-up was perfect, and every duck killed was right in our faces, back-pedaling. After the first draw, they loosened up a good bit, and by midway through the hunt they were hooping it up big time. They were high fiveing, and sending pictures to their fellow soldiers. Having a great time. I counted ducks for the last time, and we were one duck shy of a three man limit of who cares what species of ducks. I told them that if we sat there a little longer we could definitely kill another duck, or we could thank the Lord for what we had, and leave one for seed. To my joy, they chose the latter. When we got back to the hill, I shook their hands and said "Welcome back men". I was very fortunate to be a part of that, and will never forget it.

My first duck hunt. I was about 10, and it was in the afternoon. My dad, my pastor, and I waded out into the brush at the end of an oxbow lake, standing in waist deep water (on me). Only a couple decoys and they did not call much. When the ducks started coming in, I wanted to start shooting, but they made me wait. (too high, too far, great lessons that I learned quickly.) Finally a couple dropped down in towards us, and my dad told me to shoot the one on the left. I shot, and he shot, and both birds dropped to the water. Drake wood duck for me, hen for him. I could not get over how beautiful that drake was. That was the only thing I killed that afternoon, but the memory of that day is worth more than any other I have ever had in my duck hunting experience. That was better than 40 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 02-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.