Thread: 5 acre

We are finishing up a purchase this week, 123 acres including a five acre impoundment? I would like som info on the time it will take to fill this impoundment and recomendations on pumps.
    The impoundment has a 6 ft.deep by 15 ft wide ditch all the way around and the ditch is almost full. We have a pond to pump from. Thoughts? ideas? recomendations?
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

4-6- days with a 1000-1500 gpm pump. I would recommend an electric pump. It will cost about $10.00 per 24 hours running vs a diesal which will cost hundreds od dollars to run.

With any pump, you will need an automatic cut off if you loose prime.

Cat we have no electricity---miles from the last power pole. Generator not a problem. Tractor not a problem. How many gallons do you think are in it. 5 acres by 1 ft. deep
    BTW nice hunt Sat am. We scratched out 11. 10 greenheads 1 hen wooduck. We only picked up 8 of the greenheads. We had a rubberhead steal one of our downed birds. Yes steal, he drifted past us and we watched him pickup one of our birds.

tradorion Coots

And you didn't hand him a Patented Hammers Down Asssssss Whooooopin??

Come on now M- you disappoint me!!

R

There are 325,884 gallons of water in an acre foot of water.

HD,

Good hunt.

You will probably need a pto transfer pump used with a tractor then. I don't know much about them but somebody will have to baby sit it. Some of them pump 4500 gpm using a 75 hp tractor.

Figure on 1 1/2 ft-2 ft depth. It will take 6 inches of your water to saturate the ground.

You need to pump between 1,629,420 gal(1 ft deep) and 3,258,840 gal(2 ft deep).

At 1500 gpms,you are talking at least 3 days constant running for a 2 ft depth with 6 inches going in for saturation,leaving you with 1 1/2 depth.

Trad- don't think i did not want to run his sorry as down but we spent to much time hiding our boats so i had to let him go.

Thanks for the info cat, our tractor is a 50hp. We are going to move ahead and flood this thing this year, not to hunt but to see if we need to make any changes to the dike. The impoundment is sloped so we may only get to flood two-three acres. in other words we may have the west side with three ft of water and the east side with six inches. This is why we are flooding now so we can see where we are going to plant. In the past it has produced very good corn so we are going to stick with that. Anyone got any ideas on anything to plant on the ditch banks inside the dike. The ditch is over six ft deep and in places 15 yards wide. I would love to plant wild rice or something that would just grow wild.

HD, DuckTape had a gator pump for sale awhile back but was tooooooo big for what we wanted it for. Check with him.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

HD, have you considered throwing up a secondary dike across impoundment and have 2 fields?